I Visited A Pound Today.

Michelleva

I have wanted to take the leap and work at the pound, but I don't know if I could do it. People make me mad at the best of times, I'd probably go nuts and start taking my frustrations out on every person I saw with a shotgun. So I wouldn't be working there long, I'd probably end up in jail! I take my hat off to the people that do though, they'd have to be bloody tough!

Glad your Nanna got her fuzzball back though :thumbsup: That's really great:)

As for the release fees, they are quite steep, and I think that's why some dogs that do end up there don't get to go home, which is really sad. That's why all my dogs have a tag with our phone numbers on it. People are much more likely to call you before surrendering to the pound. So far, I'd estimate that their tags have saved us well over a few hundred dollars. Not that I let my dogs wander, but at the old house, Harley got out about 4 or 5 times in less than a week because he decided lattice was tasty and I couldn't fix it fast enough! Funnily enough, one of the times I got him back was from the same guy whose dog I'd returned about 3 times because his neighbours had torn down the fence with their renos! Talk about Karma!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

I believe it was decided that purebreds are dogs that can be with or without papers but must resemble the breed physically. Pedigree purebred must have papers.

In which case Michelleva is totally okay to say she saw Purebred dogs today at the pound then :shrug:

Geez the smallest things people make a fuss about I swear.

I think she said pedigree, but we know what she meant and I don't see why she was pulled up on it.

ooops!

*climbs back into hole*

And there were a lot of pedigree dogs, like Husky's, Labs, Cav's, Poms, Staffies galore and numberous poodle crosses.

Poodle crosses aren't pedigree or purebred. I would imagine that most "poodles" or "maltese" or small fluffies in pounds aren't pedigrees or even purebreds but rather crossbreds given the current "designer breed" craze.

In which case Michelleva is totally okay to say she saw Purebred dogs today at the pound then :shrug:

She said pedigree :) Hence why people got irked.

It's really sad there are so many dogs surrendered/dumped - unfortunately it's a symptom of our modern world - particularly it being so easy to impulse buy a puppy/dog. People don't research before they buy and often aren't aware of how to train dogs (or even that they do need to be trained). When things go wrong i.e. puppy isn't easy to potty train or starts barking or ruins sofa or nips child or is too much work then the easiest solution for many is to surrender rather than working through the issue with a trainer or training protocol.

The truth is that most people who put in the effort to research a breed and buy from a ANKC registered breeder are more likely to know what they are in for and are willing to but in the hard yards. I would posit this along with the lower population size of pedigree dogs is the reason why dumping/surrendering of pedigree purebred dogs is lower than non pedigree/ non purebred dogs.

I got a pedigree dog from the RSPCA. Well she didn't come with her papers but I ended up tracing down her breeder through a few opportune chance meetings and we found out that not only was she a purebred BC, but also was a show winner as a puppy. After she had been rehomed to a pet home (her legs forgot to grow to the correct height, by a lot!!), they eventually surrendered her as they didn't want her any longer. When I did track down the breeder they were devastated at this as they have a return at any time clause for rehoming. Mind you I think my old Emma ended up in the best home any dog could have wished for in the short time I had her!!

But I would agree there are quite a lot of purebred dogs in pounds and as has been said I think a lot of it is to do with appeal and then doing no homework so not knowing what you're in for and BYB's not necessarily educating buyers. Although any dog can end up in the pound for a variety of different reasons!

And the staff acted like they didn't give a damn, almost like they are immune to it.

I was astounded by how many pedigree dogs were there. They definitely outnumbered the bitza's.

You mean pure breds? Or were they all surrendered with pedigree papers?

Whats with the nit picking?

:laugh: It was a simple question - relax! But thanks for clarifying that you made a mistake :)

I think she said pedigree, but we know what she meant and I don't see why she was pulled up on it.

I didn't 'pull her up on it'. I asked a question. I was genuinely curious if a lot of the dogs had pedigree papers. If they were indeed 'pedigree' then the dogs have more a chance by tracing them back to their breeders. Don't try to make something out of what wasn't there.

I didn't 'pull her up on it'. I asked a question. I was genuinely curious if a lot of the dogs had pedigree papers. If they were indeed 'pedigree' then the dogs have more a chance by tracing them back to their breeders. Don't try to make something out of what wasn't there.

Thanks for clarifying. It looked to me like you were pulling her up on it. My mistake. :)

:thumbsup: Happy to hear Nan got her best friend back. :thumbsup:

I would never be able to work in a Pound either BUT I have the utmost respect for all who do.

I got a dog from a Pound 35 years ago and was told he was a cross between a Dalmation and an Irish Setter....which was fine by me he was about a year old at the time. When I took him to be desexed the Vet told me he was a Pure English Setter.

Tama live to 19 years and was an amazing dog. Knowing what I know now I would have known back then that he was not a cross.

I would never be able to work in a Pound either BUT I have the utmost respect for all who do.

I got a dog from a Pound 35 years ago and was told he was a cross between a Dalmation and an Irish Setter....which was fine by me he was about a year old at the time. When I took him to be desexed the Vet told me he was a Pure English Setter.

Tama live to 19 years and was an amazing dog. Knowing what I know now I would have known back then that he was not a cross.

Pounds often have no idea about less common breeds and most of the general public would not be able to recognise a true pedigree purebred in most breeds. When I worked for the AWL where we only took 3 purebred surrenders in the 6 months I was there, the pound brought out a dog that had an ear tattoo they could'nt trace. They decided to check with us before he was pts as an unclaimed stray. The boss had a look and said they couldn't decide if it was an Elkhound or a Deerhound :eek: , which are nothing alike. She asked me to have a look and the dog in question was a purebred hunting pack registered Foxhound that I tracked to a hunt club in Vic. They didn't want him back but it turned out he was being kept locally as a pet by people who found him and had rung in a lost dog notification for a Beagle cross. They were only reunited with him by accident when they came looking for a replacement dog and found him in our kennels.

Pounds often have no idea about less common breeds and most of the general public would not be able to recognise a true pedigree purebred in most breeds. When I worked for the AWL where we only took 3 purebred surrenders in the 6 months I was there, the pound brought out a dog that had an ear tattoo they could'nt trace. They decided to check with us before he was pts as an unclaimed stray. The boss had a look and said they couldn't decide if it was an Elkhound or a Deerhound :eek: , which are nothing alike. She asked me to have a look and the dog in question was a purebred hunting pack registered Foxhound that I tracked to a hunt club in Vic. They didn't want him back but it turned out he was being kept locally as a pet by people who found him and had rung in a lost dog notification for a Beagle cross. They were only reunited with him by accident when they came looking for a replacement dog and found him in our kennels.

:thumbsup: Your story made my eyes leak......My Boy had been handed in because he jumped fences......never did it at my house BUT he was allowed inside and slept on our Bed :)

Some pounds are "better" than others... for wont of a better way of saying it...

Some of the pounds I've had to visit in the course of my duties as a volunteer for rescue have been awesome - the staff really show how much they care for each and every dog in their care, and try to make their stay less of a trauma.

Some pounds though - the staff can appear to have shut down emotionally, and it reflects on the animals in their care.

I think it comes down to the overall ethic employed by the entire organisation - from the management down. If there is pathos at the top, then it trickles down to all lower levels of staff.

I can vouch for the fact that the staff on the ground certainly aren't turning up for the great sums of money they are being paid... it's a pittance when you look at what they have to deal/cope with and get done in a working day...

Michelleva - don't be put off by your not so wonderful experience with this particular pound - there are lots of great ones too.

T.

And the staff acted like they didn't give a damn, almost like they are immune to it.

I was astounded by how many pedigree dogs were there. They definitely outnumbered the bitza's.

You mean pure breds? Or were they all surrendered with pedigree papers?

Whats with the nit picking? They were purebred dogs, how would I know what they were surrended with. I'm just a member of the public making an observation.

Clyde isnt "nit picking" just for fun ask the person you see with what looks like a pedigree dog is it registered with a pedigree.

9 out of ten, frequently more the answer will be no.

I and my family have had cattle dogs since before I was born. 90 out of a hundred never had a pedigree parent in living memory.

The registered purebreds are the minority.

It is becomming increasingy so with all breeds as pedigree breeders wont sell puppies on main register anymore.

Just ring up the puppy for sale adds. nearly every one are limit register only this has been the norm now for over a decade.

Anyone who wants an entire purebred is going to the trading post, local shops and gumtree. They are not comming from pedigree breeders. Most these days are either already desexed or come with a desexing contract. So precious few purebred pedigree's around for backyard breeding these days.

Ho, what a lovely story. So glad they got him back.

Edited by asal

I believe it was decided that purebreds are dogs that can be with or without papers but must resemble the breed physically. Pedigree purebred must have papers.

considering people are being told that pedigree breeders are responsible for all the dogs that end up in the pounds it pretty unfair.

when you consider for example I understnd there are less than 60,000 pure bred puppies of ALL breeds being registered in any given year now.

Yet over 260,000 are impounded on average every year.

Its a bit hard to understand how pedigree breeders can be held responsible for the other 210,000 as well? :confused:

Michelleva - don't be put off by your not so wonderful experience with this particular pound - there are lots of great ones too.

T.

and I would say to the OP don't be so judgemental about people who work in pounds just because they didn't tutn cartwheels in the 30 minutes or so you were there.