Moral Question, Re Shelters.

Steph M

Hi guys! I have a friend at the moment who is looking for a large breed, shelter cross type.

She's had a look online and found the GAWS/LDH shelter video (

)

WARNING; not very nice viewing.

Since seeing that she's decided not to go anywhere near the Lost Dogs Home and to instead look to the other shelter mentioned, the no kill one because that and a lot of the published figures paint a pretty grim picture of LDH and the like.

She posted this as a status on Facebook (social media, always good for a stir up!) and another poster commented something along the lines of surely the LDH dogs are at a higher risk, so should they not take priority?

Just wondering what you all think on the matter, if you were looking for a shelter dog and knew of a reputable, no kill in the area or a shambles that made for a miserable existence for the dogs, which would take priority for you? Just curious!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go for the most suitable dog and if it was what I was looking for it wouldn't matter which shelter/pound it was in.

+1

If she likes the dog, and it's suitable, why "punish" it by not taking it just because she doesn't like where it is? If anything, wouldn't that be more incentive to take it?

Every pound is a miserable existence for a dog, and keep in mind some of these "no kill" shelters are only labelled that because they pass on dogs they can't rehome to other shelters.

She should choose the dog she wants and that suits her, shouldn't matter which shelter it's at.

I would go for the most suitable dog and if it was what I was looking for it wouldn't matter which shelter/pound it was in.

+1

If she likes the dog, and it's suitable, why "punish" it by not taking it just because she doesn't like where it is? If anything, wouldn't that be more incentive to take it?

Exactly, it's not the dogs fault it ended up at whichever shelter it did. Deciding to avoid a shelter because you don'tt like what the people there are doing, changes nothing for the dogs that will be there either way.

Edited by Aussie3

I agree, and for what it's worth I don't think she had picked one yet, I was just wondering if this was something others considered, it seemed foreign to me so I was just wondering really!

I would look in both & take the dog not that I wanted most but the dog I know I can do the most for, that will thrive in my enviroment & handle a multiply dog lifestyle the best. I think whether the dog is at whatever shelter has to come second to finding the dog that will get the best outcome coming home with you.

Really I think no kill has it's own crosses to bare etc none are perfect n no matter what a dog in either shelter at the end of the day needs a home.

I agree with everyone else.

I don't have a problem with supporting any animals in any shelter, regardless of the policies and priorities of them. I don't think I'd really have a problem volunteering for one either, eg walking the dogs there. But I would never provide financial support, at all (obviously excluding adoption fees, were I to adopt a dog from there), and would continue to do whatever I can to spread the word about them and what I consider serious serious misgivings about their operating model.

Another for this.

And if the most suitable dog for her is taken from LDH, it frees up a pen for another dog. Double bonus.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

another vote for choosing the most suitable animal.

I volunteer at the local RSPCA shelter, which seeing as I am not a supporter of the RSPCA surprises people. I am there for the animals in my area NOT to support the RSPCA as an organisation. Even the shelter manager knows this as i regularly voice my option on RSPCA stupidity while i am there :thumbsup:

I agree with everyone else.

I don't have a problem with supporting any animals in any shelter, regardless of the policies and priorities of them. I don't think I'd really have a problem volunteering for one either, eg walking the dogs there. But I would never provide financial support, at all (obviously excluding adoption fees, were I to adopt a dog from there), and would continue to do whatever I can to spread the word about them and what I consider serious serious misgivings about their operating model.

I think that's the main reservation she has, but tbh her $300 or so probably won't make much of a difference...haha.

There is no such thing as a no kill shelter .

Those shelters will offload problem dogs to others or worse still keep dogs alive that in all fairness should be PTS.

Someone has to do the unthinkable & that does mean good healthy dogs being PTS ,heartbreaking yes but that is life

The video is reality .

Like others i would adopt the dog from what ever place because i now that is the dog for me .

There is no such thing as a no kill shelter .

Those shelters will offload problem dogs to others or worse still keep dogs alive that in all fairness should be PTS.

Someone has to do the unthinkable & that does mean good healthy dogs being PTS ,heartbreaking yes but that is life

The video is reality .

Like others i would adopt the dog from what ever place because i now that is the dog for me .

Exactly.

No Kill isn't necessarily more ethical.

Personally I'd adopt from a reputable rescue group- this frees them to take another dog from the pound, as well as maximizing the chances of the dog being suitable for me.

This is highly important to me as I already have a dog, so it would be very important that any new dog was also suitable to live with another dog.

I have volunteered at pounds before and although there are hundreds of dogs I would have love to taken home, unfortunately how they behave in the pound environment is not necessarily a good indicator of their real personality/behaviour.

I personally could not look at adopting a dog from a shelter whose values and methods of operation I didn't support. I would not be entering their premises or their websites so would be unlikely to see the animals and fall in love with one because I agree, it is not the dogs fault who it ends up being rescued by. Given a lot of dogs are advertised on Pet Rescue these days I would be looking at dogs only attached to specific rescue groups that I was comfortable with rather than doing general dog searches.

My reason for this is linked to my view that if we continue to support what we don't like then it will never change or go away. If people stopped buying cute puppies at exorbitant prices from pet shop windows then pet shops would cease stocking them and puppy farmers would reduce their breeding rates if they had less outlets to sell through. If a dodgy shelter had a poor turnover of dogs then they could take less new dogs on and at some point might have to look at why they weren't being utilised by the public and address the criticisms raised with them or cease to operate.

My reason for this is linked to my view that if we continue to support what we don't like then it will never change or go away. If people stopped buying cute puppies at exorbitant prices from pet shop windows then pet shops would cease stocking them and puppy farmers would reduce their breeding rates if they had less outlets to sell through. If a dodgy shelter had a poor turnover of dogs then they could take less new dogs on and at some point might have to look at why they weren't being utilised by the public and address the criticisms raised with them or cease to operate.

Exactly this.

A lot of people like to say "I'm doing it for the dogs" but, really, are they? Are they doing it for this particular dog? Because they're most likely not doing it for any future dogs that come through those doors, by essentially supporting and condoning appalling practices.

Just like with people who "rescue" from pet shops because they were "doing it for the dog," they're becoming a part of their operation, and enabling them to continue.

Like PS said, change doesn't just happen. And giving an organisation like the LDH money, in any capacity, is not "doing it for the dogs."

LDH have several pound contracts for very large municipalities. This will not change anytime soon. This revenue would most likely be enough to keep it going.

My feeling is that if no unclaimed dogs (and cats?) were adopted from this facility, they would probably just all be euthanased.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller