Woman Killed By Daughter's Dogs

Her Majesty Dogmad

Did it say she had a heart attack, I thought it said she died from her injuries?

Here's the quote:

"Five dogs were later seized from the semi-detached property, and it was revealed that Mrs Knowles had had a heart attack as the animals set on her.

It is not yet known if she suffered a heart attack before or during the attack. A post mortem examination is expected to be carried out later today."

So very sad. :( I can't imagine how the daughter must be feeling. Obviously she'd looked after the dogs before, but I'd be pretty wary of letting an old lady in with large powerful dogs when there was no one around. It's easy enough for a healthy adult to be knocked over by a dog that size.

Actually, the subsequent post mortem revealed she died from shock of blood loss from her injuries:

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/whereilive/southlondon/wandsworthnews/10026229.Dogs_will_not_be_destroyed_following_death_of_pensioner/

Perhaps surprisingly, the daughter is not going to put the dogs to sleep .... I know I could not live with the situation myself but we are all different. You certainly couldn't rehome them.

Edited by dogmad

Perhaps surprisingly, the daughter is not going to put the dogs to sleep .... I know I could not live with the situation myself but we are all different. You certainly couldn't rehome them.

Interesting that she has that choice, I thought most councils would have the power to seize and destroy in that sort of situation?

Interesting that she has that choice, I thought most councils would have the power to seize and destroy in that sort of situation?

I would have thought so too. When my friend's Kelpie was killed whilst on the lead in an unprovoked attack by a loose, larger dog on the Central Coast a few years ago, I was stunned when the rangers finally tracked the dog and its owner down, that my friends were given a choice of whether or not the dog would be euthanased. The dog was always loose in the street according to local residents at the time. My friends chose not to request the dog be put to sleep. I feel that left other people and their pets at risk which I think is unacceptable. I couldn't believe the council didn't act to prevent further attacks.

Poor woman.

Elderly women often seem to be killed in dog attacks. Are they a special target or is it that they less able to cope with the attack?

We teach children how to avoid a dog attack. Be a tree etc. How about the elderly? What should they do to avoid being attacked?

Poor woman.

Elderly women often seem to be killed in dog attacks. Are they a special target or is it that they less able to cope with the attack?

We teach children how to avoid a dog attack. Be a tree etc. How about the elderly? What should they do to avoid being attacked?

I think it's mainly to do with them being less able to cope. Their skin is thinner and easier to puncture too. How horrible :(

Poor woman.

I think it's mainly to do with them being less able to cope. Their skin is thinner and easier to puncture too. How horrible :(

I think it also has to do with their potential to trigger a predatory response in some animals. They, like children, are "weaker".

I would have thought so too. When my friend's Kelpie was killed whilst on the lead in an unprovoked attack by a loose, larger dog on the Central Coast a few years ago, I was stunned when the rangers finally tracked the dog and its owner down, that my friends were given a choice of whether or not the dog would be euthanased. The dog was always loose in the street according to local residents at the time. My friends chose not to request the dog be put to sleep. I feel that left other people and their pets at risk which I think is unacceptable. I couldn't believe the council didn't act to prevent further attacks.

The ranger made it my choice too following an attack :( I thought it was very unfair to put it on me.

soaring magpie - if you read the articles their is no law applicable as the attack occurred on private property. The laws here are tougher.....

Would I keep the dogs after something like this? No I don't believe so.....and I certainly wouldn't/couldn't rehome them in any good conscience.....terrible terrible thing......