Backyard Breeding

Sam the man

I have photos of most of the pups I've fostered over the past 5 years on my Photobucket account... http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/tdierikx/ - over 1000 photos there.

A good number of those pups were dumped in the pound or surrendered directly to rescue due to not being able to shift them fast enough, got too much to handle and feed, etc...

Many more of those pups weren't even born yet when their mothers found themselves homeless...

The average amount of time a pup stays in foster care with us is about 4 weeks - not counting the 6-8 weeks they are with their mums if we had to whelp them - and a good number of those pups were also born via caesarian too...

T.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend got 2 puppies from a litter just like this person is planning many many years ago.

What she also got was PRA and a prematurely blind dog,

2 snapped cruciates due to extremely straight stifles

OCD in hocks

a deaf dog

I hope they are happy to sell puppies just like these ones to people who are going to have to foot the bills and deal with the heart ache that follows.

Edited by OSoSwift

I know Sheena, I often find myself checking that particular pound because it's where I got my dog. The amount of dogs in there is horrifying, especially lately. :(

I would encourage anyone who thinks BYB is a good thing to take a look at that pound. It's irrefutable evidence of the fact that there just isn't enough homes for the amount of dogs being bred. :(

I shouldn't be surprised ....the number of people breeding staffies ATM is astounding. It seems everytime someone says to me "I am getting a puppy"...9 times out of 10 it is a Staffy :( & never any mention of reputable breeders. I have to bite my tounge & walk away, otherwise I get myself into all sorts of trouble...the same with people getting oodles :o

Agreed, someone at work wanted a "Groodle" and said they had found a proper "breeder". I explained carefully about it all as a concept. I also found 2 Golden/Poodle crosses, chipped as Groodles, in rescue in the last few months but no, they want a puppy and it has to be a certain colour. They will def. be a good owner but it still sticks in my craw.

Edited by dogmad

Probably a little Off Topic, but I just saw an add for Blue Staffies pups available on Mains or Limited register.....both Mum & Dad are blue....Price just $3000 :eek:

Anyone who spends that sort of money, just for a colour (without checking breeding, health testing) gets everything they deserve.

Hopefully the breeders have health tested etc..

My sons mate just spent $1800 on the runt of a litter of all rare blue English staffys :banghead:

I doubt the people breeding the cattle dog/x care where the pups will end up- most of the time these sorts are only thinking of the money and having that famous 'one litter'.. Ask them if they're going to health test their dogs before joining them together- may make them realize there's more to it than just hoping for the best?

I wish them a 3am c-section on a public holiday. They might breed once but they'll never do it again

Or a 12 hour whelping during the night, breech births & a trip to an emergency Vet at 2am to get puppy formula to feed the puppies, because the mother doesn't want to know the puppies she's had, while she is still pushing out the others. Then the 2 hour feeds for the runts of the litter, who are too small to compete with the bigger stronger pups.

I wish them a 3am c-section on a public holiday. They might breed once but they'll never do it again

Or a 12 hour whelping during the night, breech births & a trip to an emergency Vet at 2am to get puppy formula to feed the puppies, because the mother doesn't want to know the puppies she's had, while she is still pushing out the others. Then the 2 hour feeds for the runts of the litter, who are too small to compete with the bigger stronger pups.

I would have thought that a good whack to the hip pocket would have been sufficient but what they heck, they can have the lot

I recently had an online argument with someone who was trying to sell their 6 week old Shar Pei x Pittbull pups on a buy, swap and sell site. I mentioned that 6 weeks was too young and all hell broke loose! I was called all sorts of names and given all sorts of excuses. He said he had not been able to go to work since the pups were born as they needed to be hand raised and couldn't afford any more time off so the pups 'had to go'. He was asking $500 each for them (no vacc or chip). Site admin removed his post as it is illegal to sell pups under 8 weeks in NT but they are back up there today, now for only $350 Ono. He seems to be having trouble selling them, so hopefully this will not be something he will do agin.

Money aside, Ask them how would they feel if their bitch dies as a result of pregnancy & whelping complications. If they can honestly say they are willing to take that risk and accept any consequences.....then next take them for a visit to the pound & walk them past the rows & rows of homeless, abandoned, unwanted young working dog crosses. :(

Sorry but i find this sort of attitude disgusting. It won't be the poor dogs fault she is being used to get "$200" a pup out of. You wouldn't wish it on dogs of registered breeders so what makes it any different for this dog? It must be devastating for things to go so wrong, something i wouldn't wish on any breeding dog, Registered or not.

OP I doubt you will change their mind, all you can do is hope that for the bitch's sake everything goes smoothly and they are able to find them nice homes. There will always be byb and no amount of whinging here will change it.

I doubt the people breeding the cattle dog/x care where the pups will end up- most of the time these sorts are only thinking of the money and having that famous 'one litter'.. Ask them if they're going to health test their dogs before joining them together- may make them realize there's more to it than just hoping for the best?

They only have one dog (female). Are they going to say to Joe Blow down the road can you please get your dog health tested???

They only have one dog (female). Are they going to say to Joe Blow down the road can you please get your dog health tested???

I think you'll find that most joe blows know diddly squat when it comes down to dog husbandry- why can't the op ask if they're going to heath test the dogs- afterall we all had to learn somewhere- who knows, they may even change their minds?

Edited by WExtremeG

Money aside, Ask them how would they feel if their bitch dies as a result of pregnancy & whelping complications. If they can honestly say they are willing to take that risk and accept any consequences.....then next take them for a visit to the pound & walk them past the rows & rows of homeless, abandoned, unwanted young working dog crosses. :(

:offtopic: This is a bit off topic to this particular post. My SIL's SIL (a farmer's wife in another state thinks its a good idea about having a litter. :banghead: My BIL and SIL don't have a computer so no access to internet so they have no idea about dogs in pounds or shelters etc. Another question. I have read where a bitch should be at least 2 years before having first litter? Is that correct? If that is so maybe they'll change their mind by then.

Re the above post. My SIL would go to pieces if anything happened to their dog.

Edited by Sam the man

Although I understand the sentiment, I wouldnt wish either on any dog to prove a point.

Realistically, morons like the OP's family will be around forever, the Government doesnt do anything, if the BYB makes twenty bucks for smokes they are happy.

Then there are the dodgy ANKC registered breeders who flout the laws in their own way........real animal lovers and dedicated breeders really cant win.

Sorry but i find this sort of attitude disgusting. It won't be the poor dogs fault she is being used to get "$200" a pup out of. You wouldn't wish it on dogs of registered breeders so what makes it any different for this dog? It must be devastating for things to go so wrong, something i wouldn't wish on any breeding dog, Registered or not.

OP I doubt you will change their mind, all you can do is hope that for the bitch's sake everything goes smoothly and they are able to find them nice homes. There will always be byb and no amount of whinging here will change it.

Exactly right German Shep Fan. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Edited by Fiasco

Exactly right German Shep Fan. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Maybe if the OP informs their relatives of our posts & what can happen, it may change their minds. All they are seeing is $ signs, if they are informed about the risks & the possible costs, that is a good thing.

That's a bloody horrific thing to wish on a dog. The pregnancy is not the dog's fault, yet you wish she would suffer? Why are you even on a forum catering to people who love dogs? :/

If they are stupid enough to breed, (hopefully the OP can present them with enough info to dissuade them), I really wish for the best outcome for the dog and her pups.

I would have thought that a good whack to the hip pocket would have been sufficient but what they heck, they can have the lot

Wow, you just get even better with successive post...

The mind boggles. Dear lord, if it does happen, here's hoping everything goes as right as it possibly can in this kind of situation with no hardship inflicted upon the poor dog.

I wish them a 3am c-section on a public holiday.

They might breed once but they'll never do it again

Or a 12 hour whelping during the night, breech births & a trip to an emergency Vet at 2am to get puppy formula to feed the puppies, because the mother doesn't want to know the puppies she's had, while she is still pushing out the others.

Then the 2 hour feeds for the runts of the litter, who are too small to compete with the bigger stronger pups.

I'm totally :confused: here.

Is the solution to ignorance more suffering?