Happy And Larry Rip

pepe001

014.jpg

I sit here in disbelief. Larry, (Happy as Larry) ACD*kelpie rescue (on the right), came to us as a failed foster (I guess) a few years ago. Yesterday morning a miscommunication resulted in the gate being left open. Lilli (ACD*BC) and Larry went looking for adventure. We got home at noon and searched all afternoon. We live in cattle country which is also wild-dog country. At 3.30 a vet from the town called. A man had picked up Lilli. She was injured but expected to live. She was found about 2km away through a ridge of very thick bush. A man was checking his cows and she jumped through his car window and lay bleeding on his back seat. He rushed her to the vet and they rang me via the microchip. She is badly bitten around the head but is doing ok. Larry hasn't been seen. All our friends and ourselves spent the night and morning crawling and struggling through the scrub looking for any signs. The country probably has never had a person walk it before. The wild-dogs got him for sure. Amazing the Lilli was able to escape - I guess - Larry took the brunt of the attack.

I see so many dogs wandering and think about how their owners are irresponsible. Then one mistake results in Larrys death. So unfair for a dog who never did anything wrong.

RIP my best mate - Larry.

Edited by pepe001

that's horrible, I am so sorry, I hope you find him. Amazing that Lilli had the sense to go to the farmer and ask for help and that he was kind enough to take her to the vet. I could imagine there's still be people out there who wouldn't give a damn about her.

Thank you for your kind words. Lilli will be fine but she is mentally scared. She is scared to go outside herself and rushes for any car she can see and tries to get in. So I guess we have an inside dog now. She has been sleeping on our bed or on the washing basket behind the door. In teh day she has just stayed inside on the couch.

The man who found her was lovely and the vet said he stayed with Lilli until they contacted me. He asked the vet to ask me if he could have her if we didn't want her. I will go down to his farm today (he was away all weekend) to find out exactly where the car was parked and search out from there.

No sign of Larry but myself, my neighbour and another friend all believe he is alive - just a feeling. Yesterday both my neighbour (2 properties over) an myself though we heard a dog cry. She went rushing out to search and we both spent the afternoon walking around. My other friend is coming around again this morning and we are looking again. The men think we are loonies and my hubby keeps saying - he is gone, you must accept that. I just can't. Yet.

I don't think the wild dogs will be around here for long. Hubby goes out every night with a gun. He shot one a few weeks ago after a neighbours calf was killed. We have seen a pack of about 6. They definately have dingo blood as they are yellow but are bigger, shorter hair, can bark and a couple are a bit brindly.