Demodectic Mange - Anyone Used Any Alternative Meds?

I've got a very sad case and wondered if anyone has had any success in using alternative methods such as Chinese herbs?

I've had some great results from the use of alternative methods over the years but this is my first experience of mange.

This dog was rescued at Christmas last year and he was on antibiotics, Ivomectin and regular Malaseb baths for a couple of months. Then the skin scrapes gave the all clear finally. The mites were never on the surface so scrapes had to be done under anaesthetic usually.

The dog is a wonderful little boy and he found a wonderful home. Unfortunately the mites have returned and the prognosis isn't looking good. The owner is devastated as to her he is the world's most perfect dog.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any experiences they could share.

Edited by dogmad

When we had an old girl who got a bad case ..I used malawash ..( Koolie - so avoided the moxidectin * ivomec* things) and scrubbed her with a chux pot scourer ..so it would get in ... fed her fresh & raw with an egg every day ..lots of fresh fruit ..and ironcyclen, plus ThriveD.

She is 13 .... and she did get fat & fully coated again over time.

Edited by persephone

Yes advocate dose Demodex but not Scarcoptic n works wonders, have a bitch here that was a rescue because owner could not fix mange or smell that came with it n it cleared it up perfectly. Every other dog here only gets it in the warmer months as only time they need it n I use worm tabs the rest of the yr but she must have it every 6 wks n she starts to smell before I even see signs if I miss it. I also found she is better off on a non processed diet.

demodex is linked to a weak immune system, the body cannot fight the mite and hence it keeps taking hold when the medication stops. A good diet and supplements that target immune function are a good start as well as probiotics - a healthy gut is a healthy immune system.

Given its an immune problem I would be looking at that if I were looking into alternative treatments.

When Dante had it, only vet prescribed meds worked.

I'd be looking at the dogs diet to ensure it is suitable (high quality ingrediants). We recently put together a kibble comparison chart which alot of people get suprised about the ingrediants of some of the 'top' brands.

http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/downloads.htm > Under 'Health Related' then 'Comparing Australian Kibbles'.

Edited by sas

The prescription drugs are required to treat the mites but if there has been a recurrence then it's important to assess underlying causes. Certainly general health plays a part and trying to achieve optimal health with reduce the risk of relapse, but depending on the age and breed there may be some kind of underlying medical problem that needs to be further investigated (often hyperadrenocorticism and entire reproductive status). I have come across a couple of dogs that achieve 'negative status' for mites but require life long (but sometimes intermittent or only a few days per week) treatment with ivermectin to prevent relapses.

I don't mean to disagree with anything Rappie says as I'm a nurse, not a Vet.

I just wanted to add as a side note that we do occasionally see that type of thing in the remote community I visit - dogs who just don't respond for underlying reasons that we can't diagnose given our limited resources.

BUT we have used Dectomax injectable in the clinic - off label, and the owners need to understand the risks. Have witnessed it work though.

I've treated dogs with nothing more than an all raw, all natural diet, aloe juice ( board certified ) and vitamin b complex injections.

The nasty chemicals ( while they kill the might ) that you put on and in the dog are further weakening the immune system.

I'd try all natural and see if the dog can recover on it's own.

As mentioned you need to address the immune system internally. Good diet in general including things like fish oil, garlic, Vit c, a decent probiotic like Protexin etc which all assist immune function. If the owner is having a bad time, stress may also be a contributor for the dog. Wash the skin regularly with vinegar ( white is fine - sold in big bottles). This helps with secondary bacterial infection from itching and helps skin condition. If skin is broken, dilute a bit at first. You can also put it in a spray bottle to spray on between baths. I find the medicated washes to actually be too harsh as they remove too many of the natural oils. Something like Fidos herbal rinse is better IMO.

Edited by espinay2