Ticks!ticks!ticks!

dogbesotted

no mention of paralysis tick control tho:

MALDISON 50 is an organo-phosphorous anti-cholinesterase compound that attacks the central nervous system of parasites - i.e. Mosquitoes, Lice, Poultry Mites, Fowl Tick, Dog Fleas, Brown Dog Tick and Sarcoptic Mange.

Active Constituents: Maldison 500g/L

When using MALDISON 50 to treat dogs and cats for fleas and lice, saturate pet thoroughly, but do not immerse the animal. Repeat application in seven days. Use residue for treating bedding and kennel areas, also areas where fleas might breed - i.e. under the house.

Dogs (over 3 months of age) and Cats (over 6 months of age):

Fleas and lice on Mix 50ml Maldison in 10L of water.

Adult Brown Dog Tick & Sarcoptic Mange: Mix 50ml Maldison in 5 L of water.

Poultry:

Lice and mites in poultry houses: Mix 500ml Maldison in 25L of water to spray nesting boxes, litter and walls. Mix 500ml Maldison in 8L water to paint onto roosts. Repeat applications in 8-14 days to destry lice hatching from eggs present at first treatment.

Lice of Tropical Fowl Mite on birds: 500ml Maldison in 100L of water. Spray brids at a rate of 50L per 1000 birds.

Pigs:

Pig Lice & Sarcoptic Mange: 250ml Maldison in 20L of water - thoroughly spray all pigs and sheds

Horses:

Lice, Ticks, Sandflies: 250ml Maldison in 20L water will treat 10 horses (ie 2L of mixed spray per horse)

Cattle:

Lice: 1L Maldison in 100L water and spray at the rate of 4.5L per head

Fly Control: 500ml Maldison in 40L water or 25ml Maldison in 20L water

Mosquito Control:

Larvae: 1L Maldison per hectare (dilute with water as required) - treat breeding areas as soon as larvae are seen

Adults: 500ml Maldison per hectare diluted with water as required. Application should be timed for periods of major emergence of adults.

Witholding periods: Meat: DO NOT use later than 7 days before slaughter for human consumption. Milk: Milk collected from treated animals within 5 hours following treatment must not be used for human consumption or processing. This milk should not be fed to bobby calves. Eggs: Nil.

Pack size: 500ml

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best advice my vet gave me when uncertain whether behaviour is tick related or not, is to get the dog to bark. If they can't bark, it is one of the first signs of paralysis tick. If mine look remotely off, I always get them to "speak".

One of my girls took quite a while to show clear signs. It was the lack of noise from a usually chatty dog that convinced the vet she was in the early stages with a tick. Eventually we found it lodged in under her toenail (after shaving her from head to toe and hours of searching).

he is still alive.. breathing a bit better, gag reflex improved.. still totally unable to use hind legs- just dribbles urine and poops where he is lying, does not want to eat at all and drinking very very little.. spend yesterdays hellish day on damp towels ..surrounded by ice. water was with ice in it.

He is spending today at the vets in aircon and surrounded by his many vet admirers.. hopefully he will be a bit better by this afternoon.

H

Thanks for the update - so glad he is still hanging in there. Poor lad, he's putting up a good fight. Our strongest positive vibes coming from down here in the Apple Isle - where there are very, very few of the horrible critters, thank Dog.

Just brought him home again.. no improvement.. my vet is concerned . Administered more antitick venom meds.. we have all been over him several times for more ticks.. ( thats is myself and my friend, Tony and the three vet nurses.. will permoxin him again tomorrow morning.

He was really happy to see me but his breathing is laboured * but his lungs are clear, he has had a long acting antibiotic to cover bases for lung infection, he had corisone for lung inflammation, still cannot use himd legs at all..

I am becoming more and more worried ..

there should have been more improvement with his breathing by now..

H

ed cos cant spell or key without my reading specs.

Edited by dogbesotted

Dogbesotted, I have been reading your posts with interest as I pulled a tick out of my mostly indoors 11.5 yo Maltie on Sunday evening.

It started to have an effect on her late Monday so off to the vet for the anti serum. Her breathing was badly effected,very laboured to the point I thought she was going to die of a heart attack..

There has been an improvement in her breathing today. Although as I type it is heavy again. She last ate on Sunday, any water she does drink she gags back up. She ate a small amount of soft cat food but it came back up also.

I started her on Nutrigel tonight.Funnily her back legs are only slightly effected.

Damn ticks they are worse this year although I suspect it came inside on my cat.

Best wishes to both of you, Helen and Diane. I grew up in a bad tick area and remember well the mad dashes to the vet with a tick affected pet (and the horrible feeling when you have one yourself).

I've seen them inside cheeks/jowls, anus and so deep inside the ears that the vet found it by chance with the ear-torch-thingy. Horrible little things.

Dear Helen (DBS) and dianed. So sorry to hear of this wretched thing happening to each of your dogs :( .

Thinking of you both and sincerely hoping and sending wishes for a full recovery for each of your dogs. Hang in there, both of you ..... must be harrowing for you to go through this. Rotten horrible blighters those ticks. What I don't get is why nature would have it that the very host that feeds them would be killed rather than unhindered so that the dog could continue to help feed ticks into the future. Bloody ingratiates :mad .

Fingers crossed for you both.

Edited by Erny

Thanks Katdog & Erny.Erny funnily the natural host of paralysis tick is the Wombat,Kangaroo,Possum all of which we have abundance of here. I have seen wombats and roos covered in tick with no efects what so ever.

Thinking of you. I know the pain of dogs at the vets on a drip.

Even with my guys still on Proban. We are pulling two-three ticks per day off each dog here. They are checked morning and night without fail. They are mostly nymphs and unfed adult females we are getting.

We are in high tick country where I am. Our vets do not rely on any of the products as they are seeing case upon case of tick paralysis from animals with all sorts of treatment.

Nothing is 100% effective against them.

Wishing a quick recovery for your much loved pets, such a sad and worrying time, so sorry. :grouphug: Long ago, I lost a Tasmanian grey Kelpie to ticks, and had a Blue Heeler survive. Had no tick problems with GWPs since over thirty years. Atm I live in the bush near Bateman's Bay, thick tick country. I never have to use any tick control chemicals or search for ticks, they fall off and die/shrivel up in front of me. These dogs must be lethal to ticks??

Thinking of you. I know the pain of dogs at the vets on a drip.

Even with my guys still on Proban. We are pulling two-three ticks per day off each dog here. They are checked morning and night without fail. They are mostly nymphs and unfed adult females we are getting.

We are in high tick country where I am. Our vets do not rely on any of the products as they are seeing case upon case of tick paralysis from animals with all sorts of treatment.

Nothing is 100% effective against them.

My neighbour, who works for a pet supply company, told me the other day that they were some news going on that something had been developed and should be on the market mid-year next year.thumbsup1.gif Don't know more, but hope it is right and very effective. Can't wait.

Did not find any this year, but had one dog treated last year and don't want to go there again.

Good luck and quick recovery to the poor affected dogs.

Hoping your dog improves Dogbesotted.

Has the Vet looked deep in his ears and up his nose?

I pulled a tick off my own head last week.

Friends nearly lost their dog twice with ticks. They switched from Advantix to Preventic collars and the dog never had another tick. Possibly coincidental but they feel it worked better. My sister also uses Preventic on her dogs with no issues. I suspect I will use them when I eventually get a dog.

Edited by skelp2

Dear Helen (DBS) and dianed. So sorry to hear of this wretched thing happening to each of your dogs :( .

Thinking of you both and sincerely hoping and sending wishes for a full recovery for each of your dogs. Hang in there, both of you ..... must be harrowing for you to go through this. Rotten horrible blighters those ticks. What I don't get is why nature would have it that the very host that feeds them would be killed rather than unhindered so that the dog could continue to help feed ticks into the future. Bloody ingratiates :mad .

Fingers crossed for you both.

Thanls Erny and everyone for you good thpoughts.

HHH has made soem tiny improvements: ate about 1 tablespoon of food liberally sprinkled with parmesan... and stood assisted for about 30 secs this morning. could not get up at all .. he is reasonably hydrated, breathing is still laboured. Temp normal, weeing etc... second vet went over him again this morning.. he thinks that it is just taking HHH a long time to recover ..

H

That's great dogbesotted, at least he is showing improvement.

Hope he doesn't have another tick. With one of mine, although she was obviously envenomated, I could not find the tick, the vet couldn't find it either, so she was clipped to the skin. No tick. He treated her anyhow. The next day, he found it - in the depression beside the point of the hock ..... it must have been too small to see before. The buggers here are so nasty they can kill when they are tiddlers.

Mystiqueview, you must be my neighbour!!

Fingers crossed for HHH's recovery.

Guys just a question I just pulled a tick off rogue but he nocked me and I dropped the bugger.. He is barking ok little bit of heavy breathing but he vomited this morning i thought he ate too quick but now i wonder if its from the tick and I just found vomit in his run.. The tick from what I saw was half engorged i think blue /grey in. Colour . Had a good hold of him and left quite a mark when I got it off.. .. Should I take him to the vet just in case or would the signs of paralysis tick be more noticeable .. He went for a bushy walk this morning ..

Edit to say I rang the vet they said to monitor him for signs of weakness , coughing having trouble breathing.. He is agitated but then I have just bathed him , that's how I found the tick ..

Ugh I hate this not knowing rubbish :-(

Edited by mumof4girls