Ticks!ticks!ticks!

dogbesotted

While walking in the bush looking for a lost dog last week we all got paralysis ticks on us. I had 3 on my shoulder, daughter had 2 and male friend had 5. All had only just latched on and not engorged yet so no side effects.

I keep dogs and goats tick-collared.

Also no one has mentioned this yet - after a tick is removed the poison can get worse in the body for another 12 hours so don't assume the removed means the animal is out of danger. Also try not to disturb the tick before removal. It will pump more poison into the dog if it is played with' before removal. Find and remove pronto - don't dither around deciding how to do it. Don't squeeze etc.

When grooming I had a Golden come in and during the bathing process the ticks were obviously disturbed - but not found due to the advanced matting. I rang the owner and said she needed to be clipped off but while drying before I could clip her (took ages) the dog fell over. Owner called and dog rushed to the vet. It was lucky to survive.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fabulous news :-)

We will be staying on the path from now on, no more rolling around in the bush ..

Georgie is fine this morning, she has her voice back :laugh: but is a bit tired which is understandable. These ticks are a bit of a worry as we have a large cleared grassed area and my dogs do not go into the bush.

mo4g, I had a cat treated many years ago, he was much worse and took awhile to recover.Recently someone I know couldnt/wouldnt afford to get their dog treated at the vet and that dog took 6 days to get over it.

I think you have used enough Advantix for now, sometimes ticks dont drop off but are still dead.And yes in my experience ticks do get under tick collars.I think a daily checking over is the go for me now.

pleased to finally report that Hairy Harry Huge is improved today actually wanted to get up and with owel under him he was able to walk a few paces. he has had some sardines and has been watching over me cleaning out the shed.. i dont want him just confined to the pen all alone.. so things are looking up

dianed, glad georgie is on the improve

my vet also said that they have been inundated with ticks for the past 12 months and the numbers of patients they are getting is increasing.

H

pleased to finally report that Hairy Harry Huge is improved today actually wanted to get up and with owel under him he was able to walk a few paces. he has had some sardines and has been watching over me cleaning out the shed.. i dont want him just confined to the pen all alone.. so things are looking up

dianed, glad georgie is on the improve

my vet also said that they have been inundated with ticks for the past 12 months and the numbers of patients they are getting is increasing.

H

Fantastic to hear HHH is on the mend also.. I think when they eat it is a great relief. It is a concern that ticks are on the increase. My vet treated 69 cases in November, they now have a tally board on display for each month.

more improvement this morning:

he can rise with the help of a sling around his rear and then walk a few steps. he is eating and it appears during his enforced fast he has developed a taste for gourmet food..lovely to see him tuck into his chicken rice and veggies this morning ( after refusing all dog food) he also had a good snap at the cheeky roosters who wanted to share his brekky and even managed some barks ( very hoearse but barks ) woo hoo the light at the end of the tunnel appears to not be an oncoming train this time.

later this week or when he is strong enough it will be bath time as he is now very odourous due to peeing and pooing whilst lying down.. my other dogs wrinkle their nose in disgust at me when i come back from the patients shed area... LOL

H

Glad the patients are improving.

Ticks are extremely bad this year. A friend had 3 pups go down with ticks even though they had been using Advantix religously and the pups were being kept in a raised run with mosquito netting over the top. They have also had an adult go down even though the dog had a tick collar and had been FrontLined. Don't even want to think of the vet bills.

Makes me glad that I live in suburbia with no wild life around to bring the bloody things in.

TB

Would it be too much to put a tick collar on aswell as using advantix 2 weekly? The vet suggested we use one also. Chemicals chemicals..

Since the tick fell onto our lawn hubby was paranoid about it jumping on him again so put another advantix treatment on.. He had his last treatment last Thursday ( could if sworn it was sat lol ) was that a bad idea ?? I'm a bit worried about overdosing him with it I hate chemicals as it is ..

Hope everyone that comes across ticks has a good outcome... Scary things ticks...

:eek:

I don't let mine anywhere near bushland, i'm too scared, especially in SEQ, the bloody ticks around here just seem to be quadrupling.

You can get them in the inner city suburbs of Brisbane. They do not need to be in "Bush" to get a tick.

Native animals are natural hosts to them. So if you have possums, flying foxes, crows, magpies, bandicoots etc, you can still get ticks in your area.

And as far as Advantix, Frontline Plus, Preventic and Kill-tick collars. They only assist in prevention. I know of people who have found ticks UNDER a new-ish tick collar. For those who have found "success" you may be lucky. There are plenty who follow the instructions carefully for all the tick preventatives and still end up with their pets at the vet on a drip.

One golden rule. Do not mix two green labels together as this is generally the same poison used and you can over dose.

Eg:

Bayer Kill-Tix Collars, Malaban, Maldacin (both tick washes) and Proban

Advantix, Frontline, tick-collars and say for example Fidos Free itch concentrate are all ok to be used in conjunction with each other . Although, washing the dog, regular swims etc will wash off some of the effective ingredient.

All these products as I mentioned before ASSIST with the prevention. Depending on your circumstance (eg dog regularly swims or has a paddle pool), the products you put on the coat will be diminished. You should also understand, they all day "UP to 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 days etc. Depending on the product used.

Remember also, the paralysis to muscle and the damage it can cause, can last longer than what physical symptoms show. It is very important to keep a dog rested for at least 24 hours and not exert themselves for up to a month after the tick paralysis (depending on how bad it is). I have heard some have taken up to 6 months to fully get over a tick paralysis (especially if they are weakened by some other condition). I had a border collie years ago who suffered collapse syndrome. She came down with tick paralysis and took 6 months to fully get over it as the paralysis had affected her lungs. With the Border Collie collapse syndrome (or in some other breeds, Exercise Induced Collapse), her lungs were already weakened.

Edited by Mystiqview

ok we are at 1 week..

again small improvement.. he wants to get up and can raie his front end for me to pop a towel under his hindquarters.. and he walked slowly a little further this morning.. sat and enjoyed his surroundings and indicated he wanted back in the shed.. ate some brekkie and is now napping. poor lad it is a struggle for him but i am thankful that he is making steps in the right direction even if small.

H

ed cos sometime i key rubbsih. :(

Edited by dogbesotted

Guest donatella

ok we are at 1 week..

again small improvement.. he wants to get up and can raie his front end for me to pop a towel under his hindquarters.. and he walked slowly a little further this morning.. sat and enjoyed his surroundings and indicated he wanted back in the shed.. ate some brekkie and is now napping. poor lad it is a struggle for him but i am thankful that he is making steps in the right direction even if small.

H

ed cos sometime i key rubbsih. :(

Baby steps but good to hear improvement.

Love and hugs from the Poms and I :heart:

The H Man and I are delighted to announce that this morning he has arisen and walked a few metres under his own steam....

the bark is returning .

What The H man does not realise is that his recovery has put his bath that much closer..

a happy day today

thanks to all for the good wishe and healing energy it has worked

Helen and The H Man aka Hairy Harry Huge