Bet You've Never Heard Of This Cross Before

Kirislin

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I regularly get asked if my dog is a GSD or Alsatian and what's the difference. I believed it went back to the war and UK's dislike of anything German so they were renamed.

noisyminor, curious what the difference is that you grew up with? (Don't want to start anything controversial, just curious)

Also wondering if the vet receptionist corrected her??

Strangest (and most unfortuate) dd I ever saw was "shug". Took ages and asking another obedience instructor to work it out.

As far as I knew 'alsation' was a name given to the GSD by Britts during war time due to anti German sentiment? Alsation never was an actual breed. A bit like calling ACD's 'blue heelers' .

yep, they were given that name to be more desirable as there were (obviously) negative connotations

associated with the word "German"

hey deshonko kennels haven't run a listing of what they have available at exorbitant prices yet this christmas. maybe they bred this one too?

Hey yeah! I want to put in an order for my no shedding, hyo allergenic, pink and blue 27.5cm alsatian shepherd! Get your act together Deshenko!! Must arrive no later than COB on 21 December to give me time to gift wrap it and put it under the tree in a box... promise I'll remember to put air holes in it...

I've seen - and adopted out to a lovely home - a Maltese/Staffy... think Staffy size and shape, with wispy hair... it actually worked quite nicely for the dog in question, but it wouldn't be a mix I'd be wanting to try myself... errr!

T.

ETA: gremlins - I meant "wouldn't" be a mix I wanted to try

Edited by tdierikx

Most Brits still still refer to the GSD as Alsations

Maybe the woman thought the long & the short hair versions were two different breeds.

Just because people don't know the different breeds doesn't mean they they are stupid..

If we crossed a toy poodle with a little toy poodle, then we could market them as a 'little toy poodle'!!! :rofl::thumbsup:

If we crossed a white westie with a little westie we could have a 'little white westie'... :rofl:

Hey I think I'm onto something here... always knew it was all in the marketing! :D

Edited by westiemum

When i was a child in the 60's many short coated dark coloured shepherds were called Alsatians;a name used in war time.The name taken from the French region of Alsace bordering Germany where some of the first Gsd's were shipped from.

Most Brits still still refer to the GSD as Alsations

Maybe the woman thought the long & the short hair versions were two different breeds.

Just because people don't know the different breeds doesn't mean they they are stupid..

I agree with you seems some people here were born knowing everything there is to know about dog breeds and behavior if only we were all so lucky then we could make fun of people too. :mad

When I had a working line sable shepherd many people said he was an Alsation and the lighter coloured finer dogs were German Shepherds. Noisymina if you google DDR or East German Shepherd you will see the Alsations you refer to.

Guest crickets

wiki.....

The direct translation of the German name was adopted for use in the official breed registry; however, at the conclusion of World War I, it was believed that the inclusion of the word "German" would harm the breed's popularity due to the anti-German sentiment of the era. The breed was officially renamed by the UK Kennel Club to "Alsatian Wolf Dog which was also adopted by many other international kennel clubs. Eventually, the appendage "wolf dog" was dropped. The name Alsatian remained for five decades until 1977, when successful campaigns by dog enthusiasts pressured the British kennel clubs to allow the breed to be registered again as German Shepherd Dogs. The word "Alsatian" still appeared in parentheses as part of the formal breed name and was only removed in 2010.

they're one and the same breed no matter the colour. DDR/Czech/East Block/West Germ/show etc they're all the same dog.

I apparently have a Belgian x Malinois ... she also started life in the pound as a 10 month old male ... suddenly she became a 20 month old female :laugh:

When I had a working line sable shepherd many people said he was an Alsation and the lighter coloured finer dogs were German Shepherds. Noisymina if you google DDR or East German Shepherd you will see the Alsations you refer to.

Ah.....I think you might have the answer, Pepe! :)

I wonder if this person knows how to raise this "German Shepherd/Alsation cross" correctly given the fact she doesn't even know the breeds correct name. Maybe the dog might end up in the pound like so many others have. :cry: