Worming

BT-Argo

Does the heart worm annual injection have Ivermectin? I don't think I asked when Riley had it, oops, he was fine though. Quinn hasn't had it yet. Oh, I ask because they are both collie breeds.

I don't do intestinal worm or flea treatments unless there is some sign of a problem.

Edited by Simply Grand

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine get heart worm as its always warm and moist here so plenty of bugs. Intestinal wormers only get done once or twice a year and they get C3 vac as puppies and again for the first booster and then no more (unless I had to board them)

ETA spelling

Edited by dobesrock

I give heartworm tablets monthly except during winter and all wormers every 3 months. We have so many mosquitoes outside during Summer/Spring and I get paranoid!

Edited by mel20890

We are not in a heartworm area so I don't treat for that, and my guys get wormed every few months with an all intestinal wormer.

If you have a collie breed and are worried, have them DNA tested for MDR1 sensitivity. If they are positive then you will know for sure and it is worth knowing as it is not just ivermectin that is an issue, there is a long list of drugs and mdr1 affected dog should not be given.

I've always done everything so routinely . However one of our cavs has a liver toxin issue happening, and I am refusing atm to put any more chemicals into her body if I can avoid it.

Weirdly now I am researching heaps about this, this issue of toxins in dogs bodies seems to be more on the increase, makes you wonder . Unless Its just because Im reading about it more now too. Either way i think its becoming a big problem for us humans and our pets. :(

I never really doubted giving them worm /flea treatments in the past, altho ive always been a bit anti vaccinations. They did have the 3 yearly one last year with some side effects.

And yes I am aware not treating them can also cause serious problems too, can't win can we :(

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Used to do heartworm but not for the last few years. Regularly worm everything with Ambex every 3 to 4 months as I feed raw meat I feel its worth the precaution.

Pups & kittens & nursing mums have the usual & recommended worming treatment with a mild puppy/kitten syrup.

No flea products used at all. Never had them.

My dogs get vaccinated yearly but my cats, which are inside only or safe outdoor enclosure, get done 3 yearly unless any are being shown. Then its higher risk so show cats get done yearly as needed.

I agree that too many strong chemicals are used. Its for the $'s but use may be necessary & adjusted depending on your location & circumstances.

I do a combined tick/intestinal/heartworm every month. We have lots of mozzies, and for the last couple of years have had fleas (I THINK I've got them sorted since old Maggot dog passed away, he seemed to be a flea-magnet). Rats and stray cats come through our yard, we walk around areas with lots of untreated dogs and at dog parks with random dogs, and Stevie has a cute habit of picking up cat poo anywhere she can get it.

Allwormer every 6-12 weeks for dogs and cats, plus extra if I think it's warranted....for example, my cats killed and ate a wild rabbit a few weeks ago, so they were wormed the next day, even though they weren't due. Also wormed my dog when he wasn't due because he ate something dubious on a walk....

I'm very careful....I don't want my children getting hydatid cysts.

I am curious if anyone here has ever had a dog with heartworm? I wonder what the true distribution is and wonder how many dogs are diagnosed per year?

I know of one rescue group that tried very hard to treat two dogs that came in with heartworm.

I'm a bad owner...

I don't give my dogs heartworm prevention, and I only worm if/when I see the obvious signs of them having worms.

I also will only treat for fleas if I see one on any of the dogs. I don't live in a tick area.

T.

This is me too. Though I tend to give an allwormer about once every 6 months or so with change of season (autumn and spring)

I am in a low risk area for heartworm.

Call me a bad owner, but I won't use chemicals and poisons when there isn't an identified need.

Edited by espinay2

I am curious if anyone here has ever had a dog with heartworm? I wonder what the true distribution is and wonder how many dogs are diagnosed per year?

dog next door had it several years ago, the owners missed a dose or two cause of a death in the family. There was also one bought from the pound about 20 years ago when heartworm was first being noticed in the town I live in.

Edited by Rebanne