What Breed

DobieMum

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think an Aussie Shepherd could work but I would ask the breeder for a softer natured, unboisterous one, and you would have to work on keeping the excitement under control from day one, as they can be excitable and jumpy ie. mine. It's very easy for her to accidentally hurt people, especially children, because she loves people so much she wants to jump all over them. She doesn't live with children though so still finds them quite the novelty. She is very trainable but has quite a strong will, her litter sister on the other hand has a much softer and more biddable nature which I think would be better for a child handler.

She has no problem playing rough, including body slamming, shoulder charging, leg grabbing, being dragged around by the scruff :laugh:

My 21kg Aussie plays like a demon with her 49kg Anatolian mate, she gives as good as she gets :laugh:

She's also a complete b*tch at times, very string willed, very intelligent, very active but she does have an off switch.

A staffy would be good but are very strong natured dogs and need very strong leadership. It depends very much on the young girl's attitude to dog training. I'd be looking at something more biddable and not so headstrong as a first dog. Also she may want to go quite far in agility and a staffy may not be able to take her there

On the contrary, a staffy was the top agility dog in the U.S.A about ten years ago.

As in numero uno in the entire United States of America.

Staffies are athletes.

They're agile, quick to learn & bidable.....not to mention super fly ball competitors.

The image of a house brick with muscles is not only ridiculous, it's offensive..to the informed.

No showing, we'll probably end up desex ing, whatever we get.

Shortish hair as, as much as my daughter will be looking after it (she looks after Cinder), its ultimately me who has to look after them.

Me and brushing every day, don't agree ;)

Is it to be her own pet? Or does she want to do competition with it?

When my younger daughter was 10. she wanted a dog for her birthday - not a boxer, or a cocker. Something else, which was "hers". We finalllly settled on a Cavalier (or she did) and I still have the darned things!! :D

Edited by Jed

She'll keep going with the agility and we do lure coursing for fun (my Dobies can never compete with the sight hounds lol) but they have a ball doing it. Cinder started well, but once I think she realised she couldn't catch the lure, she wasn't interested any more.

A staffy would be good but are very strong natured dogs and need very strong leadership. It depends very much on the young girl's attitude to dog training. I'd be looking at something more biddable and not so headstrong as a first dog. Also she may want to go quite far in agility and a staffy may not be able to take her there

On the contrary, a staffy was the top agility dog in the U.S.A about ten years ago.

As in numero uno in the entire United States of America.

Staffies are athletes.

They're agile, quick to learn & bidable.....not to mention super fly ball competitors.

The image of a house brick with muscles is not only ridiculous, it's offensive..to the informed.

You're referring to an Amstaff

And apart from the agility etc, I don't believe a staffy is a suitable match for an 11 year old unless she's very very dedicated.

Edited by mixeduppup

happily play with any dogs without becoming the slavering bash & barge chew 'em up beast Sandra 777 would have you believe.

Sad that a SBT owner would even promote such a myth.

Gee so sorry jerry lee - I had no idea you had comprehension problems. I will spell it out slowly and carefully.

OP already has 3 dogs who play rough and tough.

A Stafford's play style is also rough and tough

What method of play do YOU think the Stafford puppy growing up in these circumstances is going to learn?

Personally I thought it was fairly obvious but apparently not.

What about something like a staffy?

Do you mean a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or a generic brindle pound mutt "staffy"?

IMO no correct natured SBT is going to play nice with a bunch of Dobes who try to do a tough guy act.

Staffords tend to like to play games involving wrestling, leg biting and charging into each other and other random objects in their environment at high speed and seeing who can stand up afterwards, all the time growling and mouthing like tasmanian devils - probably not the ideal playmate material for dogs who already think they can "play rough".

totally agree

I thought a Aussie too.

Not all dogs chase either, my cattle dog will ignore a rabbit thats been flushed out by my dally ,and not give chase, even when one runs straight past him. :laugh:

I havn't met a staffy who doesn't play hard.

I'd like to suggest an Aussie Terrier. These dogs are tough as nails and will match up to the play styles of the dobes and would also make good agility dogs. Not sure about lure coursing but you could look into Earth Dog with it.

I'll have to get myself a YouTube account so I can post videos of just how tough Aussies are!!

My giants have the same play style as Dobes and I do have to watch where my minis are when the giants were of an age to get really into a game. An Aussie maybe tough but it doesn't stop them getting hurt by a large breed accidentally crushing it during play.

I'm really not sure what breed to suggest as what would suit your daughter isn't neccesarily going to be a good match for living with the Dobes.

I'd like to suggest an Aussie Terrier. These dogs are tough as nails and will match up to the play styles of the dobes and would also make good agility dogs. Not sure about lure coursing but you could look into Earth Dog with it.

I'll have to get myself a YouTube account so I can post videos of just how tough Aussies are!!

Totally agree RSA...my Aussies are extreamly tough & hardy, & have no problems playing rough with my BIL's Rotti. You would have to watch the Dobes with an Aussie puppy, but that would apply to any breed of puppy you get.

Aussies are really good at agility, are very easily trained, & pick up tricks very easily too. The mother of my next Aussie puppy "Eva" is an agility champion in NZ, & also excels at Paws N Music routines. Here is a clip of her practicing at home for her Paws n Music Surfer girl routine with her owner...this was their 1st attempt :love:

Thankyou everyone for all the wonderful suggestions, you've given us a lot to think about. The one breed that's coming up a lot and one I had actually thought of before I wrote this is the Aussie's (I'm hoping I'm guessing right on that being the Aussie Shephard). But no decision to be made in the near future, it was just something to think about, so now my daughter can have s look around at the different breeds. I really appreciate your help.

Thankyou everyone for all the wonderful suggestions, you've given us a lot to think about. The one breed that's coming up a lot and one I had actually thought of before I wrote this is the Aussie's (I'm hoping I'm guessing right on that being the Aussie Shephard). But no decision to be made in the near future, it was just something to think about, so now my daughter can have s look around at the different breeds. I really appreciate your help.

Probably best to go to an agility trial and let her meet some of the dogs and their owners after they have been in. Grooming of a Border Collie, Aussie Shepherd or Golden Retriever is not an issue. They are all fairly low maintenance coated breeds but whatever she gets, your daughter should be made to understand it is her dog and she has to do the routine washing and grooming. There are plenty of kids that age that do all the grooming for a dog and it helps them understand that with the pleasure of dog ownership, comes the responsibility to care for that dog.