Are Strawberries Okay For Dog?

pipsqueak

Thank you. Dogs usually pretty much get kibble and raw meaty bones, so I've never really thought about fruit/veg they can or cannot have. But, I have read onions and tomatoes are a no-no, which is what prompted me to check. Off to give them just a few to see if they like them.

Stan ate every cherry tomato in my vegie patch the first year I got him and he was fine. There were random tomato plants popping up all over the back yard, just mowed over them though...I know where they'd been.

:laugh: ahh Stan

Stan is a funny fella , Stan's the man LOL

Yes Stanley the nutter strikes again. It's been suggested by friends that I write a book called "The Adventures Of Stan" :laugh:

I know it's totally off topic, but I just LOVE that he's called Stan! Every time I read it I get this image of him in my head grinning. I feel like I know him! Aww, stan :rofl:

Thank you. Dogs usually pretty much get kibble and raw meaty bones, so I've never really thought about fruit/veg they can or cannot have. But, I have read onions and tomatoes are a no-no, which is what prompted me to check. Off to give them just a few to see if they like them.

Stan ate every cherry tomato in my vegie patch the first year I got him and he was fine. There were random tomato plants popping up all over the back yard, just mowed over them though...I know where they'd been.

:laugh: ahh Stan

Stan is a funny fella , Stan's the man LOL

Yes Stanley the nutter strikes again. It's been suggested by friends that I write a book called "The Adventures Of Stan" :laugh:

I know it's totally off topic, but I just LOVE that he's called Stan! Every time I read it I get this image of him in my head grinning. I feel like I know him! Aww, stan :rofl:

Same... I love the name. Makes me smile too :)

Tomatoes are fine - just not the green ones..

Zig got into our cherry tomato vine last Christmas and all the vet was worried about was if he ate the green ones.

He did and we had to make him vomit..

But the vet said the red ones are fine.

Zig also steals the strawberries (when we have them), the spinach and perpetual lettuce that I usually grow in a pot.

He raids the fruit bowl regularly, knocking off kiwi fruit and apples - seem to be the flavour of the month..

My boy is also a thief/ hunter gatherer!! , i thought birds were stealing my strawberries when they ripened but then busted him in the act.

The occassional cucumber will disappear, and he also gets into our tomatoes, but also waits for them to ripen, he now has his own strawberry patch, so everyone is happy.

He is also partial to mangoes, pineapple, bananas and most mornings we share an apple, yoghurt and toast.

I did catch him stealing apples off the tree, and thank god i did, because i have been told that the core/seeds are not good for them. So i had to get rid of them, not worth the risk and obviously cant trust him, not to help himself to an apple or 2.

I do speak to the vet on our visits about his unusal additions to his diet, but says its ok and obviously after reading these threads he is not alone.

i have been told that the core/seeds are not good for them.

only in very large quantities ..Most of my dogs have eaten all my apple cores for years ... no problems. Th e seeds contain minute quantities of a cyanide compound , but I have never seen or heard of any dogs ill or dead from this...

i have been told that the core/seeds are not good for them.

only in very large quantities ..Most of my dogs have eaten all my apple cores for years ... no problems. Th e seeds contain minute quantities of a cyanide compound , but I have never seen or heard of any dogs ill or dead from this...

Yeh they'd have to eat a bloody lot of apples for the seeds to be of any bother to them!

My three ADORE tomatoes, and cue up for theirs when I tend to the tomato pots and pick the ripe ones - never had a problem...read somewhere that tomatoes are fantastic brain food for both humans and dogs :)

I have a apricot tree and between the two dogs and the birds i will be lucky if i get to try any! although I try to pick up what the birds drop because I don't want the dogs eating the stone.

Same! Mosley picks them and any that fall he also picks up and carries them away to be eaten delicately in private. We call them his "precious" as that's the way he is with them :laugh:

I have a apricot tree and between the two dogs and the birds i will be lucky if i get to try any! although I try to pick up what the birds drop because I don't want the dogs eating the stone.

Yes same here, my dogs used to pick them from the tree. :laugh: