Vague Symptoms In A Sick Mini Schnauzer

For the second time in 3 weeks my mini schnauzer boy (6yo) is not eating or drinking and just lays under the bed all day and night.

I took him to the vet the first time and he had enlarged lymph glands to the point that he yelped in pain when the vet tried to open his mouth. He was put on antibiotics and antiinflammatories for a week. It took 4 days before he showed signs of getting his usual energy back, by the end of the week he appeared to be back to normal.

He has been fine for a week then yesterday crashed again. He has not had anything to eat or drink since a small drink of water yesterday morning. I took him back to the vet yesterday (unfortunately I had to go to a different vet as my usual surgery is closed for the Christmas break). He could not find any signs of inflammation or pain anywhere on his body. His eyes were slightly bloodshot, but that is the only external sign that he is not well. He has taken bloods and I get the results back later today.

Meanwhile, I am incredibly worried about him - particularly as he is not drinking. Is there anyway I can tempt him to drink? I have even tried a small amount of milk but he just turns his head away from anything I offer him.

Any suggestions welcome!

Sometimes when my dogs aren't drinking I'll make a weak chicken stock mix to entice them. Or if it gets bad, I'll syringe a hydralyte type of mix into thm if they are getting dehydrated, but if he's getting too dehydrated, take him to a vet so they can get him on a drip.

For the second time in 3 weeks my mini schnauzer boy (6yo) is not eating or drinking and just lays under the bed all day and night.

I took him to the vet the first time and he had enlarged lymph glands to the point that he yelped in pain when the vet tried to open his mouth. He was put on antibiotics and antiinflammatories for a week. It took 4 days before he showed signs of getting his usual energy back, by the end of the week he appeared to be back to normal.

He has been fine for a week then yesterday crashed again. He has not had anything to eat or drink since a small drink of water yesterday morning. I took him back to the vet yesterday (unfortunately I had to go to a different vet as my usual surgery is closed for the Christmas break). He could not find any signs of inflammation or pain anywhere on his body. His eyes were slightly bloodshot, but that is the only external sign that he is not well. He has taken bloods and I get the results back later today.

Meanwhile, I am incredibly worried about him - particularly as he is not drinking. Is there anyway I can tempt him to drink? I have even tried a small amount of milk but he just turns his head away from anything I offer him.

Any suggestions welcome!

A full blood panel will help diagnose his problem. Does he have a temperature? Any Schnauzer that is unusually quiet and won't eat/drink is a worry. You could try a little chicken stock in his water to encourage drinking. I would not give milk at this stage in case he has pancreatitis. Keep a close eye on him today and if you are really concerned I would take him back to the vet/emergency vet as they may need to rehydrate him with fluids. Let us know what the bloods say - very best wishes for him.

make a weak chicken stock mix to entice them

When one of mine had a bad case of gastro, my vet suggested mixing a low salt chicken stock cube with about 2 ltrs of water and syringing aprox 50mls every hour.

If she struggled to hold that down, less more often.

A full blood panel will help diagnose his problem. Does he have a temperature? Any Schnauzer that is unusually quiet and won't eat/drink is a worry. You could try a little chicken stock in his water to encourage drinking. I would not give milk at this stage in case he has pancreatitis. Keep a close eye on him today and if you are really concerned I would take him back to the vet/emergency vet as they may need to rehydrate him with fluids. Let us know what the bloods say - very best wishes for him.

His temperature yesterday was on the high side of normal. The vet will be calling me this afternoon with the results. How do I know if he is seriously dehydrated? How long can a dog go without a drink before it becomes serious?

His temperature yesterday was on the high side of normal. The vet will be calling me this afternoon with the results. How do I know if he is seriously dehydrated? How long can a dog go without a drink before it becomes serious?

Skin pinch test, like with humans, to test dehydration. And watch how often/how much he is peeing (which won't be much if he isn't taking anything in). If it's hot he will be getting dehydrated pretty quickly.

But then again, my dog was puking and pooping for 24 hours and not drinking, and she wasn't dehydrated, so sometimes they don't dehydrate as quickly as you think they do.

Lift up his lip and feel his gum. It should have a slippery feeling to it, if it feels sticky then he is already dehydrated.

That being said any sign of dehydration (stick gums or a prolonged skin pinch) means he is already behind the 8 ball. It may be better to get in early with fluids to help him get the rest of his body into balance and get better a little quicker. Your vet will have the best idea if it worth running some fluids now.

Can you take his temperature now and check the colour of his gums? Has he drunk overnight/this morning? If you are concerned about him I would take him back to the vet this morning.

I don't have a thermometer. He has had nothing to eat or drink since yesterday morning. I just tried some weak chicken stock and he just turned his head away from it.

Is there any possibility your boy may have kidney/bladder stones?

T.

How would I know? I guess at this stage, anything is possible! This is very unlike him....

With a UTI/bladder/kidney stones the dog would be constantly trying to urinate and may have leakage/be in pain. (our latest rescue girl had both :( )

Is there any possibility your boy may have kidney/bladder stones?

T.

How would I know? I guess at this stage, anything is possible! This is very unlike him....

With a UTI/bladder/kidney stones the dog would be constantly trying to urinate and may have leakage/be in pain. (our latest rescue girl had both :( )

That doesn't sound like what is going on. He has not been urinating at all since yesterday and does not seem to be in any pain.

I just hate the thought of him being away from me at Christmas! :cry:

I know..but it is worse if he is very ill and still home . with you watching him get worse .... :hug:

Ok..so no drinking or urinating since yesterday ..and dry gums, lethargy , hiding away ...I wouldn't be asking the vet..I'd just be taking him in straight away.

As mentioned minis are very stoic they will stull eat even when sick so not eating is a major sign above blood shot eyes.

Not drinking & peeing is a very big concern.

Whilst they can suffer from stones they normally pee alot but it depends if those signs haven't been

noticed??

But like others i would be at the vet,the stage your Mini is at is serious as far as the breed toughness is.

We have breed/shown Minis for over 28 yrs now & only once have we had one hit that stage & it was a giant concern because they are to tough

I just hate the thought of him being away from me at Christmas!

I would sooner have a dog for Christmas or the very less ensure i gave it every chance no matter what the outcome is

Edited by showdog