Random Person Taking The Dogs Photo

Staffyluv

This morning Zig and I were walking around at the park - I take his tennis ball and he catches it and sits for it etc on our walk.

We usually go down to the pond and he goes for swim (on lead).

This is our usual morning routine.

Sometimes (and we didn't this morning) I will let him off lead in a fenced area (usually about 6am and the council workers there know and don't worry about him being off lead chasing a ball so early with very few other people around). His recall is really good now but still not 100%, hence hanging in the fenced area. I make sure he toilets before ever going in there as kids play there and I although I pick up the poop, I can't pick up a wee and I don't want him peeing where kids play.

So this morning, this woman is sitting on the seats at the park as we are walking past and she pulls out a phone and takes our photo.

I asked her if she did and she said yes and that she is going to report me for having a pitbull..

I ask her to delete the photo and she says no.. That the she knows what he is and he is supposed to wear a muzzle all the time and she has seen me here with him before and he never wears a muzzle..

I explain to her that he is just a staffy cross and a very friendly guy (all the while, Zig is sitting waiting for his ball in my hand)..

He is a staffy cross and is chipped as one. He has an awesome temperament so I am not worried about anything but just wanted to know - can a random just take your photo in public?

I thought you had to have permission to do so?

I take photos in public all the time but do my best to not include people in the photos as I don't want to intrude on them (but never really thought of the legal aspect of it)...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She sounds like a stupid busybody with nothing better to do with her time than try to cause issues for people. I'm not at all sure of the legalities of it, but I imagine that being on public land, she is within her rights to take a photo. That said, if she doesn't know who you are or where you live, you should have no cause to be concerned.

She can take pics if she wants to and there's not much you can do about it. If she consistently followed you around, went to your home etc, then it's a different ball game but out in public you are fair game.

Given that you take the same regular walks, you could find yourself answering to a ranger if she does decide to complain. Being chipped as a cross breed is no protection from BSL, hopfeully the rangers in your area have better things to do

She sounds like a stupid busybody with nothing better to do with her time than try to cause issues for people. I'm not at all sure of the legalities of it, but I imagine that being on public land, she is within her rights to take a photo. That said, if she doesn't know who you are or where you live, you should have no cause to be concerned.

No but we go to that park every day.. Apart from walking the streets with Zig, there really isn't that many places nice to take him around town.. We can go to Canberra, they have nicer dog parks if we have to. But I like to go about 6am as it is cooler for him then and he doesn't do well in the heat.

There are 3 council workers who work in the park and they see us there all the time. They often stop for a chat and a pat..

I guess if she reported me for having what she thinks is a dangerous dog or whatever the ranger could always come to the park (I have seen them come to the park early of a morning before).

If they stopped me to ask questions, I would have to give them my contact details I guess and it would go from there.

I might send one of the photographers on here a message and ask them - I guess they would know if she can do that.

She can take pics if she wants to and there's not much you can do about it. If she consistently followed you around, went to your home etc, then it's a different ball game but out in public you are fair game.

Given that you take the same regular walks, you could find yourself answering to a ranger if she does decide to complain. Being chipped as a cross breed is no protection from BSL, hopfeully the rangers in your area have better things to do

Thanks Pav.

I know the rangers through rescue and one of them knows Zig - he actually directed us towards him when we were looking for another dog. I doubt they will bother but I guess if she makes a complaint, then they have to ask questions..

I can't see her following me (but then I had never noticed her before and she said she has seen us before).

I thought she was a bit of a loop but was just curious if she could take our pic in public..

I know being chipped as a cross is no protection from BSL - that is the reason I work so hard on him to make sure his behaviour is really good, more so in public.. I don't want the issue on my doorstep..

Unless it's an off leash dog area, you are breaking the law unfortunately.

I was doing this with one of my very old and small dogs who also just stayed with me. Another person had a young dog and hers just chased the ball.

It's a massive local oval.

Some mornings there was 1 male jogger and that's the only other person I saw at 6am.

Somebody complained to the council so they put notices on the gates saying any off leash dog owners would be fined $950 by the council.

With the lack of places to go in this area I think it is highly unreasonable and cannot understand the reason for the complaint. Perhaps it was other people at other times, I don't know. Usually it is the bad owners with no control over their dogs that ruin it for everyone.

Legally however, I don't have a leg to stand on so I've stopped goign at that time and never let the dogs off the lead in the ovals any more.

A word of advice for you. Do not have him off leash unless it's a designated leash free area, no matter what the time of day and who you think is around.

After this morning, I don't think I will do it again..

All off lead will be at the dog park - might have to go at 5am so we don't get to many dogs at once.

Most times we go it is OK as we seem to hook up with the same group of 4 to 6 dogs.

Unless it's an off leash dog area, you are breaking the law unfortunately.

I was doing this with one of my very old and small dogs who also just stayed with me. Another person had a young dog and hers just chased the ball.

It's a massive local oval.

Some mornings there was 1 male jogger and that's the only other person I saw at 6am.

Somebody complained to the council so they put notices on the gates saying any off leash dog owners would be fined $950 by the council.

With the lack of places to go in this area I think it is highly unreasonable and cannot understand the reason for the complaint. Perhaps it was other people at other times, I don't know. Usually it is the bad owners with no control over their dogs that ruin it for everyone.

Legally however, I don't have a leg to stand on so I've stopped goign at that time and never let the dogs off the lead in the ovals any more.

I know I shouldn't have him off lead there - lucky our fines are only $150 for off lead..

I imagine if he got excited and run at someone that could turn into a lot more though.

I guess having her confront me this morning was a bit of a wake up call.

The workers there have never had an issue as it is so early but again, I know better.

The dog park here in Quangers is terrible, no trees for shade and not much grass - it is mainly a wasteland with dirt and rocks, with a couple of taps for water.

Lucky for us there are 2 sides to play in, so if one side is getting a bit unruly, we can always go into the other side and chase ball with the gentler dogs (mind you Zig can play rough or soft - I just don't like the full on roughness, he gets to excited and loses focus on me. If I keep the play to a certain level, his recall and everything is great).

Thanks all.

Thanks Snook.

Sheena I might just do that next time I see her.

She has not seen him off lead as far as I know and she never mentioned anything about him being off lead. She jus said he is supposed to wear a muzzle if he is in public.

I honestly didn't bother to explain that they had to be deemed a dangerous dog for that to happen. I think she was somewhat odd. Takes all kinds I guess.

I won't take the chance with him off lead there any more. His safety is more important to me than him having a leash free run.

I take pictures of happy dogs out in the park playing...but only with owner permission! Yes on public land you are not subject ton privacy. This person sounds like an ignorant busybody who obviously had a bad Christmas, her kids dont want to know her and shes looking to cause trouble. I agree...no off lead shes seems to have you in her "retribution against the world" sights. If she continues to follow you at the park when you are doing nothing wrong Id take her photo and timestamp it...if she continues such behaviour Id say she is at risk of being dealt with for harassment. Also then you can lodge counterclaim should she cause trouble. Make a note of the occurrence in a diary.

Better still lets just hope it is a one off incident, and she goes off to go pull some wings off some flies.

Gosh how awful :(

She is legally allowed to take photos though. But what a nasty piece if work she is. It is such a shame that she could only see the shape of his body and not a lovely well behaved dog with a responsible owner.

I would resist any temptation to retaliate to her and try to show her and explain to her what a good boy he is. It might fall on deaf ears of course :( but i feel that if you retaliate things will just get worse, and she will be more convinced that he is a risk.

Good luck I hope you don't have any problems because of her actions.

That's so stupid! Sorry this has happened to you. If she didn't delete your photo when you asked then she's breaking the law.

what law is that?

Goodluck SL. She sounds like a nosey old bitch who just thought she was young and hip to take a photo with her phone. Hopefully it wont come to anything.

I figure if I don't let him off lead down there again, I am not doing anything wrong anymore - so there can't be any issue. I am sure she didn't even see him off lead as where she was was no where near where we were chasing the ball. She also never mentioned anything about being off lead, so I am thinking she is just a silly old lady with nothing better to do..

He had just come out from having a swim (on lead)..

We often meet up with another couple who walk their older SBT and him and Zig get on like a house on fire - I might ask them if they have ever seen her before or had an issue with her.

I don't like that she took our picture to 'show the ranger I was walking him without a muzzle'.. But there isn't anything I can do about it..

Hopefully it was a one off and that will be the end of it..

I am confident that Zig is a nice enough boy temperament wise to pass any test they throw at him..

That's so stupid! Sorry this has happened to you. If she didn't delete your photo when you asked then she's breaking the law.

what law is that?

Goodluck SL. She sounds like a nosey old bitch who just thought she was young and hip to take a photo with her phone. Hopefully it wont come to anything.

Privacy laws. I'm trying to find it. I was told about it but just trying to find the thing I read.