My Livestock Guardian Dogs

Kirislin

My other livestock guardian dog. I am looking after this dog while her owner is in hospital. It was supposed to just be for one or two nights, but it's been almost a month now so I thought I'd better train her with the chooks. So far she's been very good, but I take nothing for granted, it's early days.

8325392880_ba598d96a7_z.jpg

5F6A4058dpp by kirislin, on Flickr

Wow I didnt realise you had 5 Whippies to train - well done!!-:thumbsup:

When I did boarding here, I found dogs much easier to get used to my chooks than my cats. I had expected it to be the other way around. Not that Im saying 5 Whippets would have been easy :laugh: , I just found it interesting that most of the dogs settled more quickly around chooks than cats.

Wow I didnt realise you had 5 Whippies to train - well done!!-:thumbsup:

When I did boarding here, I found dogs much easier to get used to my chooks than my cats. I had expected it to be the other way around. Not that Im saying 5 Whippets would have been easy :laugh: , I just found it interesting that most of the dogs settled more quickly around chooks than cats.

I dont think I'd ever be able to train the dogs not to chase cats. I have a friend who has occasionally brought her cats here to stay, but they always have to be securely locked in a spare room. I also used to work at a cattery and the owner has whippets as well. Sometimes I'd take one of my whippets over to her dog friendly cats, in the hope of getting her used to them, but she never lost that crazed look in her eye, and first chance she'd get she would lunge at them. I always kept her on the lead. If I could get them used to cats I'd have one in a heartbeat.

Good doggies! I always thought you only had 4 whips?

I think cats are a whole different ball game, they run and they have that air about them, I think the dogs sense that cats think they are superior! :laugh:

WOW well done it's a credit to you and your gorgeous doggies

I'm not sure mine would all sit there like that and watch a chook walk past

actually don't think mine would all sit together for a photo weather these was a chook there or not laugh.gif

on another note you take such nice sharp clear photos thumbsup1.gif

I'm so jealous, I would love to get some chickens but I honestly can't imagine our lot not trying to hunt / chase / kill them :o

I never thought I'd be able to either. I had the chooks penned for many months, all through Winter and Puck was jealous and would rush at the wire. I never really told him off, I just used to say (and still do) in a flat deadpan voice, so no enthusiasm in my tone, "no, we don't chase the chickens" or occasionally I'd say "leave". Then when the weather started warming up I put the chooks in my old chook dome that I made years ago, and in there they could peck at grass and scratch around. I let the dogs get up close to sniff them through the wire, but all the time reminding them that we don't chase the chickens. I only did that for 2 days I think when I decided to see how they'd go loose.

I'm now trying to teach Iggy Mums iggies and min pin cross and it's going well too. One day I might be able to post a photo with visiting dogs and my gang and the chickens all together.............in peace and harmony. :laugh: Wouldn't that be nice. :D

Howard likes chickens in the worst way. I have absolutely no doubt he'd kill one given any chance. :(

I'm sure mine would have at the start, and I still dont go out and leave them with the chickens unsupervised. I'd be devastated to come home to chicken bits strewn around the yard. While I'm there though they're fantastic now, I just have to watch when they get excited. The other day when I was about to take the dogs for a walk Feather ran out and grabbed a passing chook by the tail. She let it go immediately though.

Puck is really good, he has great bite inhibition. Blackie tried twice to stick her head in his dinner bowl and he mouthed her each time on her back, but didn't injure her. She's now learned to stand clear while he's eating. He could've just bitten her head off, but he showed great restraint.

Edited by Kirislin

I'm so jealous, I would love to get some chickens but I honestly can't imagine our lot not trying to hunt / chase / kill them :o

I never thought I'd be able to either. I had the chooks penned for many months, all through Winter and Puck was jealous and would rush at the wire. I never really told him off, I just used to say (and still do) in a flat deadpan voice, so no enthusiasm in my tone, "no, we don't chase the chickens" or occasionally I'd say "leave". Then when the weather started warming up I put the chooks in my old chook dome that I made years ago, and in there they could peck at grass and scratch around. I let the dogs get up close to sniff them through the wire, but all the time reminding them that we don't chase the chickens. I only did that for 2 days I think when I decided to see how they'd go loose.

I'm now trying to teach Iggy Mums iggies and min pin cross and it's going well too. One day I might be able to post a photo with visiting dogs and my gang and the chickens all together.............in peace and harmony. :laugh: Wouldn't that be nice. :D

That's good to know Kirislin, thanks. It gives me hope! :)

I think cats are a whole different ball game, they run and they have that air about them, I think the dogs sense that cats think they are superior! :laugh:

I'm always telling my Gussy Cat that, if she didn't run, the dogs wouldn't chase. She is getting better and regularly just stays lying in the driveway while we all pass by on our walks.

Your photos, as always, are so interesting and captivating, Kirislin.

Although I don't have one DIY bone in my body and can hardly hammer a nail without breaking something :(:( , I subscribe to a magazine called Earth Garden. They have a regular feature about chooks called "Living in Fowl Times". :laugh: I love it because, as CrazyCresties says, they are such characters.

PS: I was very taken with the jugs on the table just inside. :)

wow that's amazing, well done whippets!

my housemate swears that her dogs don't hurt ginger cats so she has numerous gingers (all desexed and live on country property, my girls are safely locked up inside). They do get the odd chase but are pretty wise as to where the coolies can't get them. The dogs are always on the look out that the head of the coolie pack, a large male, Gudgeon, doesn't see them with the cats because he tells them off. The other day, Mocha my griffon, and two coolie pups, TannyBaz and Saffy all got into trouble from Gudge because they had bailed up a cat on a seat, Gudge came up and gently nudged them away individually and gave a little air snap towards them, it was amazing to see the gentleness of the telling off but all got the message very quickly.

I'm always telling my Gussy Cat that, if she didn't run, the dogs wouldn't chase. She is getting better and regularly just stays lying in the driveway while we all pass by on our walks.

Your photos, as always, are so interesting and captivating, Kirislin.

Although I don't have one DIY bone in my body and can hardly hammer a nail without breaking something :(:( , I subscribe to a magazine called Earth Garden. They have a regular feature about chooks called "Living in Fowl Times". :laugh: I love it because, as CrazyCresties says, they are such characters.

PS: I was very taken with the jugs on the table just inside. :)

hahahaha you're observant. Yes, one is a pretty china jug that I use as a vase and the other is an old golden circle pineapple juice tin that I use as a dipper for horse feed. I call my mare up morning and night to give her some meds for her eye. The tin just got plonked there, I noticed it after I'd taken the photo but hoped people wouldn't look too closely :laugh:

hahahaha you're observant. Yes, one is a pretty china jug that I use as a vase and the other is an old golden circle pineapple juice tin that I use as a dipper for horse feed. I call my mare up morning and night to give her some meds for her eye. The tin just got plonked there, I noticed it after I'd taken the photo but hoped people wouldn't look too closely :laugh:

I'm just a sticky beak. Love to look all around photos to see other bits and pieces. I love jugs and china plates. Have my walls covered in wall vases or pocket vases as they are also called.

WOW well done it's a credit to you and your gorgeous doggies

I'm not sure mine would all sit there like that and watch a chook walk past

actually don't think mine would all sit together for a photo weather these was a chook there or not laugh.gif

on another note you take such nice sharp clear photos thumbsup1.gif

I agree. Lovely pics and a credit to you and your doggies Kirislin. :thumbsup:

I'd also be struggling to get a pic of all mine together without the chook walking past... :laugh:

The other day we had one of those giant white ibis birds sitting on next doors roof. I couldn't figure out why Cody was sitting like a well behaved girl at the fence, tail wagging 100 mile an hour. (like she does when she's waiting for a food treat)

At first I thought maybe it was the neighbour saying hello to her through their window but then I thought she's never usually that happy to see the neighbour. :laugh:

So I went out and had a proper look and saw the reason she was so happy. :o

She watched it and it watched her and I watched them both. :laugh:

As soon as I came back inside (just to grab the camera), the ibis flew down and landed in the backyard. :eek:

I thought "Oh no, it's not going to get away from her in time", so went racing out the backdoor making a racket to scare the bird away. As I did so, it alerted Cody to the fact it was there, IN the yard! (she had only just let it out of her sight for a second when she went down behind the shed to see if she could get a better view of it).

The racket I made worked though and it took off in time, but only just, she was right on it's tail.