Breed Suggestions

aussielover

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aussie Shepherd maybe?

I wouldn't recommend it. Very people oriented, mine would go nuts if she was left outside most of the time.

Plus they need more than 30 mins exercise. If they compromised on the outside thing and chucked in a bit more exercise then yeah could work

I believe they might have to increase the amount of time they are prepared to exercise the dog if they would like to go for one of the large/working dog breeds.

What about the toy breeds? Did they specify what size dog they wanted? Not sure about their people-time requirements though

What about the toy breeds? Did they specify what size dog they wanted? Not sure about their people-time requirements though

I thought that the toy breeds were bred to be lap dogs/companions therefore wouldn't thrive being outside. A Miniature Schnauzer might be compatible, however, I don't know anything of the breed or of their outdoor suitability only that the ones I've met are friendly little buggers!!

It depends on what kind of exercise you do. My Goldie would be (& often has to be) happy with 30 minutes exercise of constant ball throwing.

Or 30 mins of jogging with me. A daily 30 min stroll wouldn't cut it though.

& great family dogs, Golden retrievers, I highly recommend them... if you can handle the shedding.

Though, I do notice it less when we are staying somewhere she spends more time outside- she is an almost wholly inside dog in our house.

My mini was raised outside. She was terrified of people when I got her. Even so, she came inside as soon as she could muster the courage. When she first chose to sit next to me she was trembling with fear, yet still chose to be with her pack (that was after having her for a month). That is a very strong pack drive given the circumstances.

It isn't just a case of indoor or outdoor. Companion dogs (including mini schnauzers) need to be a genuine part of the family, sir and watch TV with them, go for a run, go to watch the kids play soccer etc,

I have just dog sat two dogs that spend most of their time outdoors. It was very hard because they didn't have house manners and any bit of attention, mayhem ensued.

Also, a great many people start off intending to have an 'outside dog' but that all changes as soon as said dog comes home. It's a slippery slope from outside all the time, to sleeps outside, to sleeps inside, to sleeps inside but not on the bed, to sleeps on the bed but not IN the bed, to.. well, until you're me :laugh:

Only if I could see this happening would I adopt a dog to people who said outdoor most of the time.

Yes, there are people here who say their dogs prefer to be outside and are perfectly happy, but for me it would mean a big NO across the application papers.

The children are 10 - 14. They might spend a bit of time outside with the dog when it first came home, but in time, the children would be inside watching TV, playing on their computer or games whatzits and the dog would be alone, outside.

In my book, a dog is part of a family, not apart from the family.

My top family recommends are:

Pointer

Whippet

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Beagle

If trainability is an issue, I'd probably knock out the Beagle but what to they actually want to train the dog to do?

I honestly don't think a people oriented dog is going to be happy watching family life through the back windows but if they can be a bit flexible about that, any of the aforementioned breeds is worth a look.

If they want a dog to watch them through the window they should consider a toy one.

. You mean a toy as in plastic . . . . Not a toy breed, I hope,

Greyhound?

I would not recommend any of the working dogs. 30 minutes a day is not enough and working dogs NEED to be with their people.

Greyhound? Definitely not.

Where do people get the idea that 30 minutes is enough for dogs? My Myrtie is a 3.5kg toy breed mix and she would happily walk for a couple of hours a day. If I decide to take her out on her own, I am just about trotting to keep up with her.

My top family recommends are:

Pointer

Whippet

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Beagle

If trainability is an issue, I'd probably knock out the Beagle but what to they actually want to train the dog to do?

I honestly don't think a people oriented dog is going to be happy watching family life through the back windows but if they can be a bit flexible about that, any of the aforementioned breeds is worth a look.

If they want a dog to watch them through the window they should consider a toy one.

. You mean a toy as in plastic . . . . Not a toy breed, I hope,

Greyhound?

I would not recommend any of the working dogs. 30 minutes a day is not enough and working dogs NEED to be with their people.

Greyhound? Definitely not.

Where do people get the idea that 30 minutes is enough for dogs? My Myrtie is a 3.5kg toy breed mix and she would happily walk for a couple of hours a day. If I decide to take her out on her own, I am just about trotting to keep up with her.

No I meant toy as in plastic!

We have a Finnish Lapphund. His coat is fairly low maintenance, just a weekly brush for most of the year. We asked our breeder for a quiet one and have been extremely happy with her choice. Kody is perfectly fine with a 30 minute stroll each day, as long as we throw his ball or do some kind of backyard activity as well. He is still very playful with our son and incredibly gentle and patient with him. I wouldn't rcommend leaving a lappie outside fulltime, but Kody has a dog door sodo can go and out as he pleases, and he chooses to spend a fair amount of time outside on his own. Perhaps its a bit of that independent spitz nature showing through, but although he loves attention he also seems quite happy to do hin thing on his own a lot of the time.

He has not been difficult to train (and I.was a complete dog novice prior to getting him).

A Toller wouldn't be suitable.

They are very active, body and mind, and 30 minutes a day isn't enough. They need to spend time inside guranteed not just when it's suitable.

They are excellent family pets and learn extremely quick but also push and push and push so might not be suitable for a newbie owner, very much a "I will do it, but what's in it for me?" type of dog :)

Plus no chance of getting one this year :)