Hot Days

Dame Aussie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If non one's home ..dogs are outside ..regardless of temperature.

There are always plenty of trees/bushes , damp areas in which they dig holes (this is such an efficient cooling method for them , actually, provided soil is damp at least 60 cm down ) I was looking at our old boy, Leo, this afternoon ..36 deg .. and he was sleeping curled up in his damp sand bed ..quite happy , no panting , and his body was cool to the touch :)

If we have pups, they have ice bricks and wet doonas draped over kennels .

No way would I ever leave any electrics on (except fridges) when we are away. :o

Guest crickets

The 4 days a week that I work I am away for 11 to 12 hrs, so if the temp is forecast for over 35C I put the AC timer on to come on at midday. The dogs have full access to the house through the doggy door. The old stone place stays relatively cool up to low 30's and the back yard is carved into a cliff rising above which keeps it really cool in the majority of the day.

Inside in the air con. Always. The cats too. I can't catch the 2 chickens, thank goodness don't know where I would put them.

The heat here is cruel. Always goes over the forecast here by 5 to 8 degrees. Nothing is out in extreme heat.

Mine are outside when it's hot. If it's going to get to mid 30s and above I fill their clam shell and give them a few bowls of water in different places. They find the coolest spots. Our house would be WAY too hot.

This is us too. The dogs have some concrete and pebblecrete that never has sun on it, and some shady ancient camellias with deep leaf mulch. The puppy is splashing in the water bowls but can't empty the clamshell yet (and it's under a shade sail thingy we put up in summer). Jodie will keep working her ball when we're home no matter what the temperature, so she's probably better off when we're not home!

I don't understand why black Stevie has to spend time baring her belly to the sun no matter the temperature but on hot days it's only a couple of minutes.

Guest crickets

Inside in the air con. Always. The cats too. I can't catch the 2 chickens, thank goodness don't know where I would put them.

The heat here is cruel. Always goes over the forecast here by 5 to 8 degrees. Nothing is out in extreme heat.

same here re going above forecast! We have a forecast of 44c for friday but that is for the nearest major town 35 kms away and being just that bit further inland we are likely to get above 45c no worries. We had 2 days in a row over 55c in the shade ( the thermometer only went to 55) a few years ago. Not fit for human habitation. Thankfully we do get a bit better night time relief out here than in the city.

Here where I live the temp is always 2-3 hotter than expected .... I am lucky that I work nightshift so they sleep during the day when I do , my housemate is always home but on the odd occasion we are both out they stay inside .. I usually have the drapes and blinds shut to keep it cool.

Sam has been outside lately even if we are home. If he is inside in this heat he begs to go back outside (probably due to the carpet). He lays either on the cement under the covered veranda or on the grass under trees. He also has a shell pool and multiple bowls of water. We no longer give ice or ice water as it makes him vomit and we are too worried about bloat.

Depends on the temp. Salukis always outside, unless it's going to be furnace like (ie, 40 or above) or their name is Princess Lucy.

Afghans outside unless it's going to top 35

Wolfhound inside with aircon if it's anything over 30.

I also take into account things like the amount of sun, wind, humidity etc.

Edit - this tends to reverse in Winter, with the Salukis inside and the ghans and wolfie outside.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

Guest Labradork

I work from home, and I have a rule where I don't leave them home alone for more than two hours.

I don't have air con but my house is relatively new and it is well-insulated. The heat is only noticeable when it gets above 35.

I have fans around the house and I freshen up their bowls with iced water throughout the day. I give them frozen meaty bones early in the morning before it gets too hot. And I rinse them in the bath/shower. They like to sleep on the couch or my bed for most of the day.

It's going to be 40 tomorrow so I will be keeping an eye on them.

My French Bulldog is a strictly inside dog he doesn't go outside unless he has supervision. In the heat we just leave the air con on and he sleeps on the cool tiles. Ice cubes dont work for Cid as if we put ice in his water bowel he will freak out and bark non stop at it.

With my old childhood dog bonnie a poodle cross rescue dog we would keep her clipped short in summer and would spray her with the hose, but she would always find a cool spot in the garden and would come inside if she wanted to.

Mine are never left outside when we aren't home, they are a bit on the dopey side and like to sleep in the sun, which isn't great considering they are black pugs :banghead:

Hot days they are left inside with the fans on (we don't have a/c), cool mats or frozen bottles in their beds.

I guess if you guys were safe outside in the shade, and there was a breeze at any stage, they would be okay ... but would they stay in the shade?

I have some dopey dogs too. Let them out about two hours ago (at this stage it was 39C outside) to toilet. Both of them went and lay in the sun to sunbake!!! Double coated breed too. They do like their daily dose of vitamin D no matter the temperature. I made them come back inside. Felt like my mother....... "put a jumper on, I'm cold"

Mine are never left outside when we aren't home, they are a bit on the dopey side and like to sleep in the sun, which isn't great considering they are black pugs :banghead:

Hot days they are left inside with the fans on (we don't have a/c), cool mats or frozen bottles in their beds.

I guess if you guys were safe outside in the shade, and there was a breeze at any stage, they would be okay ... but would they stay in the shade?

I have some dopey dogs too. Let them out about two hours ago (at this stage it was 39C outside) to toilet. Both of them went and lay in the sun to sunbake!!! Double coated breed too. They do like their daily dose of vitamin D no matter the temperature. I made them come back inside. Felt like my mother....... "put a jumper on, I'm cold"

I can totally relate to this! Just coming off a five day over 40C stretch and yesterday was awful, house never seemed to cool down even with the aircon on. Let the dogs out for a toilet break and a bit of fresh air, came out to find the SBT laying on it's back sunbaking :confused: It was 43C :eek:

When I am at work they are outside in the morning, I am fortunate enough to work around the corner so I am able to come home from lunch. They are then put inside with the aircon on. I don't like leaving them inside as they can't access outside but when it is this hot, I prefer them to be inside during the hottest part of the day. They just sleep anyway.

My biggest problem at the moment is exercising them. We go for a swim but it doesn't seem enough, but yesterday it was still 34 at 3am!

:laugh: at the sunbaking dogs. Headcases!

Then they come inside and pant and pant and pant and fall into the water bowl and pancake on the bathroom floor and look at me like "wtf did you let me lay in the sun for???"