Dog Hair And Car Upholstery A Lifelong Partnership

Kirislin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Miele cat & dog vacuum with the powerhead...last time I cleaned the car I took the mats out and vacuumed them with the large powerhead and that worked really well at getting the fur off. Then for the car seats, unfortunately it just takes time and the upholstery attachment. The vacuum works really well though :) .

I was told years ago that wet rubber gloves and rub over the carpet. It is supposed to work apparently told to a friend from a car detailer. Don't know if it works as the last car I sold went to the wreckers and I didn't have the problem. Good luck.

This works pretty well, when I can be bothered to attack the layers in our car.

Try some tape, the clear really sticky type, I wrap it around my hand and just pat hard and it gets it all up. Admittedly I don't have much to worry about it is only on the rear door (wagon) as I lay sticky clear plastic on all my carpet in the back of my car to keep it clean. But the tape works well, the other thing that works well is a wire brush, its good for getting sand up as well. I couldn't find the wire brush one day so I used the dogs slicker brush, it works well too.

Did you get your new car yet?

A damp rubber sponge works really well with all of the fur my long coated koolie leaves behind in the car. Works well on carpets too and clothes. It has to be rubber, not plastic.

After sticky lint roller, put on some rubber gloves and wet them, use your hands / fingers to comb out hair stuck in the carpet/upholstery weave. Lint roller again...

Trade it in for the new car!!

Someone is going to be cursing me in a few days when they see the dog hair on the back of the rear seats!

That is what I did....didn't even bother wiping the snart off the back windows. Dealer agreed on a trade in price sight unseen so I wasn't about to spend time improving it. Felt a little embarrassed when I handed the keys over but quickly forgot in the haste to get new car home before a nearby hail storm got to us.

It is a partnership designed not to be broken ....... :laugh:

My old Pajero (13yrs old with 250,000 kms on the clock and still going strong) is fondly known amongst family and friends as "the dog's car". I can spend all day vacuuming, damp cloth wiping, sticky taping and individually picking out Dalmatian hair (the worst offender for hair loss I have ever owned!) and still only get up 75%. I think it looks better but my grown up kids look at it with horror still. They dread the day the old 4wd goes and beg me not to put the dogs in the car they share because they don't want dog hair everywhere :)

hehehe I am keeping an eye out on the coupon websites for a discounted car detail

I'm sure they will refuse after the see it!

I gave my old wagon to a friend who had a farm and was going to mod it out in all manner of illegal ways for roo shooting - years later he told me how he bundled his 3 kids in the back and they were still complaining about dog hair! hahahaha

I can't sell my car given how much hair is in it

I paid for mine to be cleaned at Waves, or somewhere similar. They specifically say that they don't guarantee removal of pet hair :( After I got home I realised they hadn't even lifted the mats off the floor to vacuum under them :mad

I was told years ago that wet rubber gloves and rub over the carpet. It is supposed to work apparently told to a friend from a car detailer. Don't know if it works as the last car I sold went to the wreckers and I didn't have the problem. Good luck.

Rubber gloves are great.

The sticky tape and lint rollers though, actually exacerbate the problem, as they leave sticky residue on the surface which then attracts more hair.

I'm getting a new car in about a month and a half and it will have leather seats :whee: :whee: Hurrah!

We use a back seat buddy to cover the whole back seat, up the back of the front seat - so the whole back seat area (including carpet) is protected.

We still get a bit of hair but nothing like we used to - and we use a dyson as well.

I think a chamois wiped over seats can help to lift dog hair as well.. Not sure how good it would be on the short staffy type hair but it works on the longer hair of BCs etc.

We use a back seat buddy to cover the whole back seat, up the back of the front seat - so the whole back seat area (including carpet) is protected.

We still get a bit of hair but nothing like we used to - and we use a dyson as well.

I think a chamois wiped over seats can help to lift dog hair as well.. Not sure how good it would be on the short staffy type hair but it works on the longer hair of BCs etc.

Little short spiky whippet hairs seem to embed themselves and become part of the fabric, that would have been fine if they had coats the same colour as the carpets.

Little short spiky whippet hairs seem to embed themselves and become part of the fabric, that would have been fine if they had coats the same colour as the carpets.

Yep same as staffy type hair.. It is a menace..

I tend to buy clothing and furnishings the same colour as the canines in the house :)

It is a partnership designed not to be broken ....... :laugh:

My old Pajero (13yrs old with 250,000 kms on the clock and still going strong) is fondly known amongst family and friends as "the dog's car". I can spend all day vacuuming, damp cloth wiping, sticky taping and individually picking out Dalmatian hair (the worst offender for hair loss I have ever owned!) and still only get up 75%. I think it looks better but my grown up kids look at it with horror still. They dread the day the old 4wd goes and beg me not to put the dogs in the car they share because they don't want dog hair everywhere :)

Dalmatian fur is the absolute worst. It embeds itself into everything.

I have a massive supply of lint rollers and refills.

I fell out of love with my Dyson for a while...until one day I pulled the hose straight and realised I couldn't clearly see daylight at the other end. Eventually I dislodged all manner of splinters tangled with hair and other dirt. Works much better without the blockage :D