Teaching The Weaves!

I am sorry, this is probably something that gets asked a lot, but I am really starting to struggle teaching agility on my own when I have never trialed before. I want to get ready to start trialing, and I think the weaves are going to be our downfall!

I have tried the susan garrett 2x2 weaves. We got stuck and could not move past 2 sets of poles still at a reasonable distance, and Hudson was getting so overexcited and would just run past the weaves all the time looking for a ball. (hugely treat motivated dog, rather than food!)

So I am now starting with slanted poles, and he seems to be getting the idea a little.. But I am just not sure how we are ever going to get there!

How did you train the weaves, did you try a few methods? Any ideas what might work for us?

He used to get super excited about jumping or any training and I don't want to ruin him.. he isn't seeming to enjoy this as much. It also might be the heat bothering him, but I just don't know.

Sorry guys, I am just getting a little disheartened, he is such a good dog, I don't want to ruin him...

I have had great success with 2x2. I have trained 2 dogs with this method. My first agility dog I trained with the slanted poles and she never got it. So I retrained her with 2x2.

Do you have the DVD?

Maybe you should go back to working closer? If he is running past I would suggest he does not understand yet what you want him to do.

Training weaves is hard and can be very frustrating when it does not feel like you are progressing.

Maybe have a break for a few days.

The best thing I did when I was teaching my girl was have a couple of days break. We got to a point where we just were not moving forward and couldn't get past a certain stage. So after a couple of fustrating days I took a week long break.

When we started up again, we got going so quickly that she was consistently weaving 12 poles in five days.

I'm not saying definately take a break it is just an option once you have tried other strategies.

eta Don't get disheartened it takes each dog and handler a different amount of time to 'get it'. When you get frustrated

just remember agility is meant to be a fun sport sport for both you and Hudson, as well as strengthening the bond you two have.

Edited by ~Rumour~

There are many different methods of teaching the weaves. The best one for you will depend on a number of things.

I haven't yet trained a dog using 2x2 but knowing a good amount of SG's training and having watched the DVD if you wantto use this method I would consider:

* How good are you and your dog at shaping? If you are not confident at shaping and if your dog is not good at offering behaviours or bouncing back from falure I would either do some unrelated shaping exercises first or choose another method

* Does your dog have good toy drive? I think it is easiest to teach this method using toys once you get past the very beginning, it is harder for the dog to see and drive towards thrown food.

Some other methods you may want to consider:

* Slanted poles, which you have started - you can start with doing a restrained recall through the poles, then move to a send and thrown reward, or stationary reward if they will not self rewrd

* Once you get to totally upright poles you may have to give the dog some time to work it out as this is where some people come unstuck

* If not using 2x2 you may want to use another method such as 3 pole to teach entries

Weaving is a difficult skill to teach, it can take a while to master and for you to work out the best way to teach it. Good luck :)

When we taught our girl, we knew very little about weave pole training & so we trained her our own way, by putting wings on all the poles till she got it right, & then proofed it by getting her do it for the ball. Then we gradually removed the wings. It worked well with her. With Cricket, we taught him 2 x 2 method. Then after reading about the "channel method" which is different to the slanted poles, we retrained them both using the channel method & it worked great. :thumbsup:

As kavok says, 2x2 is great for dogs that understand shaping. Are you marking then throwing the ball and nit throwing the ball to get him through the poles? I like the channel method for beginners because it is simple and first rely on the dog offering behaviours that are a bit complex.

Are wings the same as guides? That's how Saxon learnt through our training club. As in plastic lattice stuff was pinned between the poles to direct the dog (sorry, I can't remember correct terminology :o ). This worked well for Saxon, as being little, it was hard for him to jump the guides, so it might not work for Hudson. Maybe worth a try though :shrug:

Yes running on the outside of the poles. I don't have the 2x2 handbook or DVD, going off what I have read and also seen on online videos.

I might have to go back to the 2x2 method and start over. I will see if I can buy the dvd this week, seems like a lot of people like it.

First thing I recommend anyone who's stuck with 2 x 2s is take a break, and go back and watch the DVD again, it's amazing what you miss even if you've seen it a few times and done it with multiple dogs. Print out the notes and sit down with pen and paper and work through it step by step.

You absolutely need the DVD. I also found the booklet very useful.

There is something he is not understanding, but I wouldn't give up on the method just yet. :)

I had trouble with angles, so for us, running past the poles was partly that we hadn't done enough proofing of every angle, and for Geordie, partly a "can I get the ball for free?" He is just like that!! I only had to toss the ball once accidentally and he thought "oh yeah, she's a pushover!" :laugh:

But I'm not saying this is Hudson - assume he doesn't quite understand his job. When you get the DVD you'll see why it's so important not to go any further until you've fixed the previous issues or you'll compound your own problems. :laugh:

Yes I would suggest watching the DVD :) I had to watch it several times before I understood the method, and I am sure I will watch it a few more times before and during the time I train a dog using that method :laugh:

I agree with everyone else - you need the DVD! I definitely could have not used this method without the DVD. In the next few months I am going to start teaching my third dog with method, so I will be watching the DVD again.

And another one who agrees that I would hate to try and teach 2x2 without the DVD. I found I kept going back to it to check quite frequently. Have used various methods with previous dogs - and agree that different methods can be successful with different dogs. With Kirra, the slanted poles (weaveamatic) worked OK - but then I also had to do a lot of work on different entries.

For toy oriented dogs, I just love 2x2 - results come quickly if you follow the program, and you're working entries and lateral distance and independence all at once. And the dog learns that it's a collected exercise - so thoughtful entry, then speed build up through the poles.

Yep worth watching the DVD. However there are plenty of dogs who can weave quite successfully that have been taught the channel method or slanted poles so if you'd rather do it that way - go for it!

I'm guilty of not watching the DVD but my dogs do a lot of shaping (Em is especially good at that and throws a zillion behaviours in the hope of getting something) and I have pretty good timing. Plus it's the method of choice at our club. I also use cheese cubes instead of toys. I love it because it gets the dog thinking and encourages independence from the very beginning. Now if I only I would trust them more..... :o

OK guys, you can laugh away at me... cause I have just read through this thread being a total novice at all this agility stuff but would love to get into it as

it looks like great fun for both dogs & their owners. I had a very simple jump, a tunnel & a set of weave poles set up in our rather small back yard. I thought I

would try out my boy, Sonny, on few things. Since a puppy he would go through the tunnel fine & over the jumps. He loves doing all that. Don't know how 'correct' we

we are doing any of this but he really flies around having fun. And I just put the weave poles up & expected poor Sonny to go around them :laugh: Wondered why he just

looked up at me with a very confused look on his beautiful face cause I just truly thought if I put a lead on him & walked him through them once or twice then if I took

his lead off & sent him through he would just do it :laugh: Well, maybe not :laugh: This was some time back before my girl came along & took up any all my attention.

But I am going to start this up again with Sonny & 'hopefully' Stella too :crossfingers: one of my new year's goals with my 2.

Anyway, looks like I had better do some reading up on a few 'minor' details like how to teach weaves before I start this time around. Didn't mean to derail this thread or anything

Just thought it may bring a little comic relief, so laugh it up while I go back under my rock & do some research :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Laugh it up Tassie :rofl: cause I am :rofl: I feel like such an idiot but that is what I thought. Well that is how Sonny learnt everything else. I showed/shaped the behaviour & he just got

it... :laugh: He is such a smart boy but after reading a few threads including this one, there is obviously a lot more to it :o But what I am reading doesn't make much sense so maybe I will have

to find a DVD for beginners or something. I will go through my DVD's first & see what I can find. I can still see the look on Sonny's face that day & it still cracks my up, now that I understand why,

he's like, "What the ...." :laugh: