Grooming Essentials For A Border Collie

I think dancinbc's secretly just loves to watch us spend up tassie LOL. I have dancin to "blame" for my MP brush as well, giggle.

Must confess I love mine but we didn't win best of anything LOL

On a serious note Congrats Tassie well done to bo th you & Rory. Bet you are as proud as punch & rightly so :)

Tassie, he did good alright. You have the best of both worlds with him so you kind of have won the lottery :)

Collie C, don't worry that you have too many slickers. I use the small one for doing behind their ears etc & the big one for their body :)

LOL - I just went mad and shouted myself a Mason Pearson (thanks dancinbcs for that link to the shop in Sydney). Used it for the first time last week, and love it - and Rory went DogCC/RUBOB and AusBred inGroup in the morning show on Saturday, and BOB in the afternoon - feel like I won the lottery :laugh: .

I think dancinbc's secretly just loves to watch us spend up tassie LOL. I have dancin to "blame" for my MP brush as well, giggle.

Must confess I love mine but we didn't win best of anything LOL

On a serious note Congrats Tassie well done to bo th you & Rory. Bet you are as proud as punch & rightly so :)

Glad to hear the brushes are working ladies. :D If only I had bought shares in the company. There is no better brush for a Border Collie than a Mason Pearson "Popular" Bristle/Nylon and they are well worth the investment because they last forever. My first one is 28 years old and as good as the day I first bought it. I don't like pin brushes at all and gave up on them years ago. I have lots of grooming tools but hardly ever use anything other than the MP Brush, a Collie comb and a spray bottle with some sort of detangler in it for general grooming and not much more for a show. I occasionally use a soft slicker and a regular comb on the legs and feet plus plain scissors and nail clippers. The Mars coat king is only used specifically to get the rare knot out. Teh thinning shears and stripping knife for the ears hardly ever get used either. I use all the same grooming gear on the Jap Spitz as well but he uses the smaller MP brush I had to take into the ring in my pocket, with the Borders.

Shampoo is an individual thing for each dog but I had a lot of success over a lot of years with Plush Puppy Body Building shampoo with wheatgerm. A lot of show Borders are washed in this.

Whether you are going to show the border definitely effects the shampoo/gear you use. You don't want a super soft coat with no undercoat on your show border. Remember a judge having a fit about this at a club show once. Everyone got a good telling off for making their dog's coats too soft.

Thanks for all the replies guys (sorry for not replying sooner but I definately am reading!!)

I didnt realise there was such a thing as too soft lol He's on limited register, so wont be for show. I do want his coat to be in good condition though, I cant stand it when BC's come into work in bad condition (I work in boarding), I always have to bath and brush them and make them pretty again :)

I have a Mars coat king, would never use it on a Border Collie, really great for Siberian Huskies in full moultI wrecks the coat of the Border Collies. I use a soft pin brush and a MP brush, I use a stripping comb for excessive ear hair, also thinning scissors. I have a double sided comb, fine teeth one side wider the other. Very partial to it, have used for years. I use a dermal on the nails, after I have tipped them.

Bathing is done monthly unless dogs are being trialled or shown, then it's weekly.

Love the Paw shampoo and conditioner. Because tails can be really thick, I use quite a bit of conditioner on them, find it keeps them and the rear furnishings manageable.

if blow drying I use a mix of conditioner diluted in water as I blow dry.

Small pair of scissors used on the feet.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip on the furminator type tools, one will definately get no where near his coat now :) I will pick up an undercoat rake when I go to the pet store next (probably tomorrow :p ). I had also read about the ivermectin sensitivity as well, and thought it was quite odd! I was thinking of using sentinel for him, is that ivermectin based? At what age can I use that if its not? I will talk to the breeder as well and see if hes had his first bath yet, and what she used if so, and if she has any more tips :) What is a collie comb specifically? I like the lawrence tender care slickers too, I just need to find a store that stocks them :/ I've got a couple of pairs of good scissors, but they are in need of sharpening thanks to my bunny!

Sentinel doesn't have ivermectin in it. It did make my girl (a sheltie) very itchy afterwards though.

You can get your dog MDR1 tested to see if he has this sensitivity. His breeder might have done this, so you can ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing isn't it :confused: We use a $180 brush on our dogs & $2 comb on ourselves. I can understand why some people think us "dog" people are completely nuts :laugh:

But dogs have a lot more hair to work through. :D

I lost my original MP at one stage and went and bought a replacement, only to then find the original one. So now I have the newer one for me but I am not that fussed on it for my hair despite the fact I have long thick hair, preferring a wide toothed plastic comb. :rofl: Anyway the spare is put away and I use it occasionally but it is there if I need it for the dogs one day.

• 3 months later...

Thank you so much for this thread guys, I am getting a BC puppy soon hopefully of I can convince the bf! I will definitely be looking into some of these brushes. I also work in boarding and the amount of BC's that come in with knotted matted coats is horrible :(

Thank you so much for this thread guys, I am getting a BC puppy soon hopefully of I can convince the bf! I will definitely be looking into some of these brushes. I also work in boarding and the amount of BC's that come in with knotted matted coats is horrible :(

Oh thats so sad/dissapointing that you are seeing BC's frequently with coats in bad shape when a quick regular brush keeps their coat knot free. I groom daily, no knots here :)