How To Stop Flies Attacking My Dogs?

booge

Hopefully someone can give me an answer. I have an unbelievable amount of flies who are constantly biting my dog, drawing blood and leaving fly specs caked all over his ears. They're only small flies, but I can't believe how many are around and all over the dog. I've tried spraying him with 'Off' and it sort of works, haven't tried aeroguard yet. I'm going nuts trying to keep them away. I've even sprayed the yard with Baygon outdoor spray. Anyone??

Edited by booge

Hi There - Don't know if this will work for you but I use Muscaban ( I get it from my vet )on my BB ears - She used to get fly bites - It's oily though ( I spray it onto my hands and rub it onto the outside of her ears ) - I'd be interested to hear what others use and if there's something better I could try that's not so oily.

If you don't have cats you can use Permoxin spray. If the tips of his ears are bitten and sore you can get a great cream for horses called "Septicide" which is insect repellent as well as antiseptic to help heal and soothe the sore bits.

Don't use Aerogard, it will inflame any sore bits and is not for use on dogs anyway. The Baygon won't work either. You need to find an animal specific spray, try your pet or horse supplies store.

Edited by Alyosha

Use Advantix. it kills and repels all flies and biting insects as well as fleas and ticks. For fly control apply monthly. To treat the affected ears. bathe in warm salty water, pat dry and apply an antibiotic cream ie savlon ect

I have the same problem with flies and ears, but my dogs are exceptionally un co-operative when it comes to me putting anything on their ears, let alone doing it several times a day. Mentioned it to my Vet and his recommendation was to use Advantix.

Works well for me.

Use Advantix. it kills and repels all flies and biting insects as well as fleas and ticks. For fly control apply monthly. To treat the affected ears. bathe in warm salty water, pat dry and apply an antibiotic cream ie savlon ect

Unfortunately sandflies and mozzies are one thing that Advantix doesn't repel for my girl. Fleas and ticks are definately kept away, she's never had one and I live in a terrible area for both, the whole of Coffs seems to be having a flea plague at the moment.

My poor girl suffers from sandfly/mozzie bites though and coz she's mainly white it's very obvious. Putting up a bug zapper and the drier weather (until these past few days) has helped, Advantix which is applied religiously, has not- for these bugs.

When I worked for a large pet warehouse the most popular solution was citronella oil mixed with vaseline. We sold heaps more of those two products than any of the commercial repellants and the customers claimed it stayed on longer, softened the damaged ears and kept the flies away.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the Advantix advice, works a treat, no flies hanging around now.

We use either Advantix or Advocate on the dogs but I've found controlling flies generally made a much bigger difference. I use QuickBayt in all the areas the dogs like to hang out while outside and that stuff is amazing. This summer, despite the really hot weather, we've seen hardly any flies- started using the Quickbayt last year, knocked down the local population quite nicely and then this summer, started using it early just to make sure they didn't get a chance to build up again. It doesn't seem to work on blowflies (which sucks, I hate blowflies with a passion) but I can go days now without ever seeing a housefly.

Do you have a porch the dog lays on ? if so also hang those horrible fly sticky traps and or the fly traps from bunnings .

We got one of those hanging fly traps too. It seemed to catch heaps of wasps but not so many flies. When the maggots started wriggling around it was time to throw away....PEW!

Edited by booge