Should You Breed, Does It Change A Male Dog

best4koda

Guys, I have a breeding question for you that you maybe able to answer. I have a friend who has the opportunity to breed her male GSD but she was wondering if she lets him breed will it change him in anyway as will he go looking for it. She's just concerned and doesn't want her dog looking for ways to get out and about. I couldn't offer advice since we have never breed our GSD's. Any thoughts.

Yes it can change some dogs & people need to be aware of this.

For some they stay the same others can mark more( pee up things) ,be more macho around other males (if the frequent dog parks & the likes )

We have had some stud dogs whose attitude adjustment wasn't fun but we can cater for it,we have others that are just the same delightful male they where before.

The ones who changed the most had that attitude a tad more prior to matings .

But i guess the first question is is the male health tested & what is the hop for him being used at stud .

As she owns the male generally you are the stud master as well

Edited by showdog

Interesting showdog. I am curious and this may be a dumb question but I assume it can only change the male if he actually mates with a female, and it doesn't happen if he only has semen collected by a vet?

Definately made my boy more interested in girls and knows exactly what he should be doing when they are in standing heat but otherwise remained the same. Though he has always been a fairly gentle, sweet boy with not a mean bone in his body and he was collected for the first time when he was 6 so doubt breeding would have changed him quickly.

Being used hasn't really changed Cole who has always been a gentleman with bitches. If anything he is better as he only really worries about in season bitches when they are standing and the rest of the time he just flirts. My other male BC was castrated as he used to totally lose the plot if he even whiffed a bitch in season. It really depends on the dog.

Edited by Janba

Interesting. It seems there is a range of responses. It would be a natural mating not a vet collection I think being were we are....remote australia. I was asked and said I would see what I could find out. Owner of male was approached otherwise she wasn't thinking about it.

I think it changes them somewhat. Once they have been used at stud they become more fixated on the girls. If there's a girl in season around the dog in the future he will have an absolute determination to get to her. They also mark territory more and can be more confrontational with other entire males.

I find this thread very interesting, although, (and I'll read it again) wonder if being collected at the vet's has less of an effect than a natural serve. My boy is being kept entire, until his breeder assesses him and might collect from him before I castrate him. I must admit, I never considered that it might change his temperament??? would collection effect them? would the castration then "fix" any bad effects?

On a separate note, is the bitch that they have asked your friends dog to cover a gsd,and on full papers????

The only time my boys change is if there is a bitch on heat close to them. I have a desexed male beagle who was never used at stud prior to desexing and he also changes and actually will mate with the girls if he gets the chance.

Should you breed & does it change a male dog are two completely separate things!

this is so true. aside of the behavior issues, I'd be , is the bitch on main papers, has she had health tests, is the dog on main papers, has he had tests? WHY are you breeding, what happens to the rest of the pups? responsibility also falls on the fathers shoulders. are you prepared to help rehome the pups if they are returned?

(this is why I won't breed, to much responsibility. my boys "collection rights" belong to his breeder, not me. I trust his breeder.

Guys, I have a breeding question for you that you maybe able to answer. I have a friend who has the opportunity to breed her male GSD but she was wondering if she lets him breed will it change him in anyway as will he go looking for it. She's just concerned and doesn't want her dog looking for ways to get out and about. I couldn't offer advice since we have never breed our GSD's. Any thoughts.

Sorry but my first question would be....is your friends dog registered with the states controlling body and is your friend a member also.

Is the bitch to be mated registered and is the owner of the bitch a financial member holding a registered prefix, if not the dog and bitch should not be used at stud. jmho

My boy is a happy dog who loves everyone. But he does have to check all dogs....esp bitches :laugh: If you think about it a male having a mating is a pretty good example of self rewarding behaviour. So of course they will what to check out all the bitches :laugh:

All good points. I'm not up on the details of registration. As I said I was just asking the basic question of and perhaps I worded my question loosely, that is it worth allowing your male dog breed once off? In answering this does it change the dog's personality as the owner of the male dog is a beloved owner who does not want a dog chasing females around the neighbourhood or becoming a problem while out and about? I'm only querying it from my friends initial question of being asked to breed. The discussion hasn't gone for enough yet on all the registration etc. All I know is yes, both dogs have papers and come from good breeding.

I'm very passionate myself about breeding and like to see only the best dogs with the best physical genetics and best temperaments breed so we have lovely healthy dogs but I was curious myself with this question as we have never gone into breeding as we don't have the time or resources to do it correctly. I hope this clarifies my views and you don't think I'm a backyard breeder asking.

I will pass on all good points for the male dog owner to consider before making her decision.

I find a mating settles them a lot and they stop worrying about every girl, only taking notice if they are in season and ready to mate. I lot depends on the dog and the temperament to start with. If the dog is collected using a teaser bitch I find it affects them the same as a mating. I have never known a dog to have a negative affect on temperament from a mating.