Have Solved The Problem:

Loving my Oldies

Main meal in the morning.

Light snack at night.

Human dieticians will tell brekky is the most important meal of the day.

True, but dogs aren't humans and the general doesn't always suit the specific. :)

In your opinion.

Metobalism is metabolism.

Calories are burned by movement, not by sleeping.

The rationale of feeding dogs at night is so that their stomachs are not full during the day so they are able to move about and work freely without a stomach load of food ..... which can cause problems. Dogs like to sleep after eating.

Other more important reason is that if you feed a dog at night, and his tummy is full he will go to sleep and digest his food. He is less likely to be running around all night, or barking all night.

Edited to say - I had this problem with mine, DD, and I solved the problem by feeding all but the incredible guts, and the keen by slow eaters, together. Of course, there were great scrambles and some growling, but they settled to it and all ate better and seemed to get enough.

Apparently quite a few breeders etc. do feel their dogs together. They are fed separately again now though

By that rationale human athletes who deliberately load up on carbs or steak etc before a fight, a footy match, a marathon etc are all wrong.

Are you also suggesting humans with non-sedentary occupations who have a hearty brekky would be lethargic & unfit for a decent mornings work?

It is only a matter of opinion of course, but in my opinion your rationale is seriously flawed.

Altho i can see there could be a problem with continiously over feeding.

Which wouldn't matter whether it was done morning or night.

Dogs are not humans. My dog will not perform on a full stomach. I won't take her in the car with a full stomach. I can't exercise her after a meal. Hence, her biggest feed on the day is dinner, when all we do afterwards is rest.

As a human, I need to eat before I "perform" be it sport or work, because that's how my body works. I know how my dog's body works, and "loading her up" would definitely not work in her favour.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheesh, now you've done it EdmundH. I told my dogs that, in a thread about their eating habits, the term "athletes" had somehow mysteriously appeared.

They are hiding under the bed and refuse to come out unless I promise them they won't be sent to bootcamp. After brekky that is.

Sarcasm is the lowest for of wit.

Do you always try to belittle those with a different opinion than your own?

Jed

Working dogs are never overfed.

& working dogs spend more time on the chain than they do on the job.

& when ever I spent holidays on my cousins farm he fed his working dogs in the morning, at like 5-6 am so when the were needed to work they were "loaded"

& they were "athletic", as are all fit & healthy dogs.

That's a bit harsh EdmundH - DD was having a bit of fun is all... if you'd met her dogs, you'd understand... *grin*

I'd say that feeding dogs whenever you feel it's doing them good is when to feed them... like us, they are all different.

T.

*imagines DD's pack in olympic lycra...*

..maybe not.

Out here working dogs are fed at night .. after they have done their thing, and so they can rest and use the food while asleep ... I cannot imagine them working on full bellies , and would think perhaps it wouldn't be comfortable at all . :( Our dogs can run many hours in a day, and not sure how that would go on a ful belly .

AFAIK wolves etc hunt, gorge & sleep , so energy is there , muscles are healed ,blood is made - ready for next time .... and I suppose stock work is the equivalent of a 'hunt'

When working Guide Dogs , they were never fed before training ..always afterwards ....

Jake always tries to delete these posts incase I realise he's a pig... the grunting gave that away ages ago. Fish and kibble in bowl in the morning, bag of whatever is for treats on the walk, something to chew on to settle, shank bone or stuffed kong, treats for afternoon training session and kibble veg and meat for dinner. Then a bit if yoghurt or whatever he can beg off OH for dessert. He's not actually that fat.

Light snack at night.

This was my contribution to the discussion. Just my thoughts.

Until those with opposite opinions decided I should told why I was wrong.

Also my opinion.

Sleeping is sedentary, nothing much happens to a sedentary creature.

Activity is the catalyst for health. For pumping the blood, invigorating the lungs, for burning the calories.

That's what I know.

Sleep is for rest.

Fit kids eat then play.

Fat kids eat then sit in front of a computer.

I've tried both ways.

I do it the way it works best, for my dogs.

If the other way works better for you, do it.

Where's the problem?

EdmundH. YOU were the one telling everyone "in your opinion" of course, that they were wrong. You came into a lighthearted thread with all guns blazing and when people didn't go WOW WOW WOW, this guy is tops, you get all huffy.

You need to take a reality check, mate, and, if you want anyone to take you seriously or to even bother to read anything you post perhaps you might reconsider your posting style.

Most people's dogs are not working dogs and, the last time I looked, my dogs were dogs and not humans.

Anyway, for the others who, like me, are all wrong in feeding their dogs in the evening - LOL - I am about to have a late late breakfast and the dogs will have to do with a snack.

Light snack at night.

True, but dogs aren't humans and the general doesn't always suit the specific. :)

In your opinion.

Metobalism is metabolism.

Calories are burned by movement, not by sleeping.

Yes, in my opinion .... and, more importantly, knowledge of my dogs and our routines, such as they are.

They eat anywhere between 5.30pm and 7pm of an evening and we are up for hours after that.

& the difference between a 5.30AM & 7AM feed & being up & about for hours after that is?

edit.

And a feeding regimen that varies up to 1 1/2 hours is irregular, not routine....imo.

Edited by EdmundH

EdmundH. YOU were the one telling everyone "in your opinion" of course, that they were wrong. You came into a lighthearted thread with all guns blazing and when people didn't go WOW WOW WOW, this guy is tops, you get all huffy.

You need to take a reality check, mate, and, if you want anyone to take you seriously or to even bother to read anything you post perhaps you might reconsider your posting style.

Most people's dogs are not working dogs and, the last time I looked, my dogs were dogs and not humans.

Anyway, for the others who, like me, are all wrong in feeding their dogs in the evening - LOL - I am about to have a late late breakfast and the dogs will have to do with a snack.

+1

I personally don't feed in the morning due to them being too sluggish to do anything on a full stomach and the risk of bloat is something i am paranoid about.

& the difference between a 5.30AM & 7AM feed & being up & about for hours after that is?

If you had paid more attention to what was posted you would have seen that the times were PM not AM.

I think it is time you just called it quits.

If you had of comprehended the question you wouldn't have made a fool of yourself with this reply.

Edited by EdmundH

Light snack at night.

Also my opinion.

Activity is the catalyst for health. For pumping the blood, invigorating the lungs, for burning the calories.

That's what I know.

Sleep is for rest.

While you are welcome to your opinion, the fact is, your opinion happens to be incorrect. Plenty happens during sleep that either does not happen or only happens very slowly when the creature is awake. Muscle repair is one of those things (which burns a lot of energy) and for a working dog, that seems a pretty vital function.

Sleep is not for rest, it is for recovery.

Light snack at night.

Also my opinion.

That's what I know.

Sleep is for rest.

While you are welcome to your opinion, the fact is, your opinion happens to be incorrect. Plenty happens during sleep that either does not happen or only happens very slowly when the creature is awake. Muscle repair is one of those things (which burns a lot of energy) and for a working dog, that seems a pretty vital function.

Yes I am entitled to my opinion.

As are you.

IMO your opiniion has no basis in fact.

Light snack at night.

Also my opinion.

That's what I know.

Sleep is for rest.

Yes I am entitled to my opinion.

As are you.

IMO your opiniion has no basis in fact.

:coffeesplurk: