A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Just wondering if you guys have any experience with the following.

Nova was a very cuddly dog (with me only) and would come up and cuddle on my lap all the time (on his own accord), the last 2 days he has been refusing to come over to cuddle, he'll come over and sit down next to me and even then walk away and lay down elsewhere.

I think a lot of it is he seems to be over heating a lot (too much puppy fluff!) and wanting to lay on the wood floors but also wondering if it might be a stage he's going through or i'm doing something wrong?

It's been a long time since I had a puppy and don't quite remember. I THINK I remember Sam going through a similar stage.

He is still happy to see me when I've been out, and happy to play. He did go through a barking stage and being a bit dominant over my housemate which is getting heaps better with small timeouts, and we did try the growling back at him, but apart from that all his training is positive.

I'm still carrying him everywhere when we go down town etc so perhaps he is just sick of being on my arms?

I don't have much experience with puppies, but I do have a lot of experience with human babies. So, i'm gonna take the attachment parenting mummy approach to this - and compare the situations to my experience with my kids. After all, puppies are babies too. lol

I'd say its him growing older, a bit more independent and realising he doesn't need to rely on you for everything anymore. That, he can enjoy his own company, or enjoy being in the same room with you without being touched. :)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willow has never been what I would call a cuddly puppy. She does come over and sit next to me if she finally realises she is tired. :laugh: (or when we are in the freezing cold and I'm sitting on the back step waiting for her to wee or poo, she likes to sit with me in companionable silence then...when she should be toileting!)

She LOVES me when I have toast.

She greets my daughter more enthusiastically than me. :( But she is with me a lot.

She's a pretty active (adhd) puppy, always looking for mischief, but she is responsive if I want to do training with her. I figure when she's done being a puppy she'll be more willing for cuddles..maybe...

We have Dory for cuddles anyway...she NEVER refuses. :laugh:

Willow does check in with me from time to time and does seem aware of where I am, even when she's busy. And this morning I snuck a few pats and tickles while she was busy playing with Dory (another reason I don't think she's a cuddly pup...she has Dory to entertain her, poor Dory).

Well, just after I wrote that guess who came up to me for cuddles. biggrin.gif

I love cuddly dogs, one of the reasons I picked him out was because he was cuddly, I do hope he doesn't grow out of it completely.

I do train the out as a motivating command as well. But the dog has to have enough motivation for the tug first is all. If Envy is only just starting to have fun with the tug and I start too early teaching her to let go, then I could undo some of that work on building her motivation for it.

Each to their own, the out is something Steve trains in the first game, both of our dogs have super high motivation for tug, but also have great grip and outs. if the dog is playing tug, they need to learn what out means, as it is an integral part of the game. I think there are lots of ways to motivate and demotivate dogs from playing tug, however I've never seen outing the dog do this, unless it hasn't been trained properly. Just my two cents!

No, you didn't tell me they are related! It doesn't really surprise me though. Is Wisdom out of Lilo? The malinois world is so small. I know (over the net) the owners of her grandmother Lilo, her father Tex, her Aunt Talina.... Probably some more I have forgotten too.

Yes she is out of Lilo :D

Tyrion isn't a huge cuddler but he does cuddle a little bit. Does anyone else's pups back talk them? Tyrion gives me lip if I tell him off for something. :laugh:

Willow is a stubborn head, rather than back talking she just feels she should try harder to achieve what you have asked her to leave alone. As I tell people, she has the stubbon of a 2 year child that just her No.

Fortunately, like most 2 year olds, she can be bought. :laugh: Busy Bones (Raw Meaty Bones eg. Roo tail, lamb neck, frozen or partially frozen) are our friends.

however I've never seen outing the dog do this, unless it hasn't been trained properly. Just my two cents!

It can happen because you're never letting the dog truly be rewarded to the level it needs to be. It's got nothing to do with a dog that isnt trained properly, you can have the highest drive in the world and ruin the dogs pep during the developmental stage. Once again handler error. Michael Ellis is right on that one.

Zereuloch, our Jack Russell would "back-chat" too,particularly when we went crook on him, and it would end up a battle of wills. If we hadn't found great trainers who believed in food rewards, I really feel he would never have learned polite manners. His determination meant he would never have responded to anything but positive training methods. He respected food, and respected that he would never get rewarded if he "back-chatted" So we were able to extinguish this behaviour, but it took a while, and sometimes during his 10 years, he would have a half hearted attempt.

Food rewards worked for us with Tip, I am not saying other methods would not work with other dogs.

Di

however I've never seen outing the dog do this, unless it hasn't been trained properly. Just my two cents!

It can happen because you're never letting the dog truly be rewarded to the level it needs to be. It's got nothing to do with a dog that isnt trained properly, you can have the highest drive in the world and ruin the dogs pep during the developmental stage. Once again handler error. Michael Ellis is right on that one.

I don't think Michael Ellis is saying that training a motivational out causes those problem, if you are experiencing the above issues that is a problem with how you are playing the game and how you are motivating (or demotivating) the dog, not simply because you asked the dog to out.

We have hundreds of dogs that come here that we train to play tug, every dog and puppy learns to out in the first game, we have never had a problem with training an out effecting motivation, drive, grip or anything else.

So I was right to start teaching the Out then?

IMO yes it is something we train in the first game we play with the dog, but obviously what you can see from this thread is that everyone trains it differently :)

Hey guys!

Haven't been on for a while! Here are some recent pics of Tank taken in the last few days.

Everything is going pretty good with him. He's getting so big! Broken through 7kgs now!

His training is going well - I'm not doing a lot to be honest, but house training okay - he's up to about 8/10 times on his pee pad! He still is pretty obedient - he knows what 'no' means. I really need to get him doing a recall. Had a scare this morning - his clip on his leash somehow came undone and he ran to catch a pigeon and ran onto the road - thankfully its a quiet street and the cars were stopped at the lights...

Hope you like the pics!

At Elizabeth Bay with me:

e5df65f6ec3a11e2a73b22000aa80571_6.jpg

At Elizabeth Bay with his other daddy:

fbdce89eec3d11e2a0bf22000aa80261_6.jpg

At Elizabeth Bay:

61ce3ae4ec3a11e2879222000ae9142f_6.jpg

Sydney Harbour outing by The Rocks:

1377bb62ec0911e2aea022000a9d0ee7_6.jpg

Sydney Harbour outing by the Overseas Passenger Terminal:

fc4033beec0511e2884a22000a9f1588_6.jpg

At the Museum of Contemporary Art:

966fa9bcec0411e28a2e22000a1fbc67_6.jpg

Yay, a Tank fix. He is getting so big now, and looks like he is really enjoying his outings. :thumbsup:

-

Good luck as you work on your recall, it is arguably the most important thing you can teach your dog. Sadly it is one thing Tip was never good at- he had it down pat when he wanted to, but in the face of any distraction, well- that was always pot luck. So the only time he was off leash was on our 5 acres, otherwise he was on lead or on a long leash if safe enough- which meant Wayne could catch him.

It was sad for us, and for him, but it kept him safe, and he didn't mind, so long as he was out. However, we did have collar or leash malfunctions over the years, lucky Wayne is quick, and even luckier there weren't too many distractions at the time.

Good luck and thanks for sharing photo's of your boy with us.

Di

Di