A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lisa, I love the idea of "Super Nova" It will suit him so well, as he is definitely as "Super" as they come, I think.

Steph, good luck with Gus's "right of passage" on Monday, I am thinking of you both, and Jingo will be too, his visit is not too far off now either. It is funny, it never worried me with Tip or Kira, but with Jingo I am.

The pic of Laci is gorgeous, I always thought she was white? :rofl:, but I was obviously wrong.

Ezio and all the other pupstars are looking great, and it is good to hear they are all enjoying their puppyhood with thier people.

While the reason for our week long visit to Inverell was so sad and emotional for Wayne and I (my Mum passed away), Jingo loved it. He got to have play dates with the ministers poodle, where they shared the love, attention, bones, toys and Bangee's food bowl, to two Maltese terriers in the park who turned out to be Mum's doctors dogs, and especially his best buddy Barney, who stayed by Jingo the whole time, even though Barney was free to roam, and Jingo was on a long lead. My boy is so smart he learned he had to lift the rope knot over obstacles when they got stuck, it was cute to see him taking the excess rope into his crate, for whatever reason :laugh:

Di

post-21758-0-42902500-1393022624_thumb.jpg

This one shows the size difference, Jingo has grown a little since then, but despite the size difference they play so well together. Barney is the most gentle dog I have ever met, even though he thinks he can fit in your lap for a cuddle :laugh:

post-21758-0-87629600-1393023276_thumb.jpg

He certainly is ready for work :) We went to the lake today, watched the speed boat races and strolled around some markets. Harness is a miracle worker, people respected him, gave him space, only one child rushed over screaming but before he got too close his parent told him off, Nova didn't even blink. Received compliments on how well behaved he is for an adolescent! So so happy biggrin.gif

He got some cuddles by some people too!

The nearby fenced in agility park was completely empty for once too so we finished the day by having a bit of a run around in there.

I'm so sorry Di. I hope you and Wayne are doing ok.

Great that Jingo is enjoying himself though. Barney looks like a beautiful soul, is he an ACD or a tailed stumpy?

Edited by LisaCC

Possibly the worst thing about not having a purebreed is buying long term investment products like a kennel... so we are settling for this cheapo cubby house until we know exactly how huge she will get before getting a nicer one. Lucky she is not a destructo puppy although the plastic is no worse than many kennels I saw for sale.

She seems unimpressed with the novelty of it though hehe :laugh:

DSCN2388_zpsdac5b1fe.jpg

I need some advice :o

I took Nala out today, just the two of us. We visited my work first up, she was excited when she saw my former boss, but when we walked in the door she growled and barked at a customer (who I know) I assume because she was scared. This lady was walking towards her and talking VERY loudly. I ignored the lady, told Nala it was ok and walked further in the store past her.

Then there was a little girl in there who wanted to pat her, so I crouched down and Nala just wanted to run away :cry: I got the little girl to feed Nala high value treats and eventually she came around but still not keen.

Also while we were there an older male customer I know came in with his kelpie "Elvis" and Nala was absolutely fine!

Then this afternoon we went to the beach for our weekly photo shoot and there was a staffy x thing that approached us (off lead, it is an off lead beach but I have NFI where the owners were) and Nala growled! The dog was following us - and I didn't like the look of it so I carried Nala away - I didn't want her to try to run and excite this dog into coming even closer.

I am so embarrassed. Nala is meant to be the dog that I do it right with. How do I correct her? She's nearly 5 months old, I want to fix this NOW! I know you shouldn't correct growling because that's how you get a dog to bite with no warning (have witnessed this firsthand with a customer's dog), rather redirecting and teaching that there is nothing to fear is the way to go.

Actually I know what I have to do, I've answered my own question. I just need more hours in the day and more people nearby with nice dogs.

She might well be going through a fear period of sorts, or gearing up for one.

I think you did the right thing with the kid and is there a chance she's picking up on your worry about the dog on the beach? I don't blame her for not being keen.

Other than well wishes I have nothing! That sucks!

Gus got quite bossy with a golden last week, had a grumble and was being super overbearing and rude when this dog charged up behind him to play and obviously gave him a start. I totally feel your horror, but I'd be willing to bet its a passing thing for us both (with some work...)

I wondered about that...I think I just need to work on getting out more. I wish I lived in town proper! i'd say it's very probable she was picking up on my vibes, both with the dog and the loud lady at my work as I wasn't comfortable around either, yet the older man with Elvis I like and she seemed absolutely fine (as well as having my former boss there next to her, whom she just ADORES!)

Thank you though, glad to know I don't just suck at being a dog owner!

I hope Gus gets better for you too, and as horrible as it is for us, at least we are responsible in that we care about our dog's behavior and try to correct it!

Hardly a sucky dog owner!

Sometimes I see total dropkicks walking their dogs on a loose lead past other dogs without batting an eyelid (we still have no focus and a distraction threshold that's lower than a worms proverbials) and it really bugs me.

If they can do it, why are we working so hard?

Petty attitude, I know. But the guy next door has an American bulldog he bought at 5 weeks old from a guy at a garage sale, the mother bit her owner so bad he had huge scars on his arm but this dog is so quiet and when its out for its bimonthly walk its an angel. It lives outside in a shed and behind a piece a metre high of plywood held up by the bins.

Is it wrong to get the shits sometimes? Gus has an excitement level that rivals a crack head and Rosie would be off and over the fence if we had plywood for a gate...

Its petty but how do some people put in nothing and voilà, while us other suckers are slaving for the basics?

Sigh. End rant! Haha.

Yep, totally get where you're coming from! Although, I think because of my job I see a lot of people having a much harder time than me! But then it's like they're coming to me for advice, which I give (a lot of it comes from what I've learnt on here, and my animal husbandry upbringing) but then I feel like these people would expect me to have fantastic dogs.

Granted, Cleo only has issues because she was attacked on lead by a little yappy thing, but that's what gives me anxiety when I walk the girls now (vicious cycle).

I like your descriptive wording lol. I think Gus' crack head excitement would get along well with a Dalmatian lol.

Steph, I might be just cynical but from what I witness around here, those dickheads with dogs that seem to walk so nicely kick their dogs pretty hard when they don't.

I agree it's so frustrating when we're trying so hard to do it right. Oh and then if your dog breaks from a heel the ones around here don't hold back on the "that dog needs a good smack over the head".icon_smile_mad.gif

You're probably right, but its still a kick in the pants, especially when its one of those dropkicks telling you how naughty your dog is. Haha.

Would be nice to dole out head smacks, and not to the dog...

It's so unfortunate that that's frowned upon laugh.gif

Hiya,

Had a great time with the family at the river this morning. It was Ronin's first experience with a body of water larger than his clamshell pool. He absolutely loved it and was up to his chest in around 30 seconds. By 5 minutes he was swimming! It was such a joy to experience. Photos were taken on the iPhone.'

photo-17_zps8a2bfdba.jpg

photo-19_zpse7cba8bf.jpg

photo-18_zps5e47c32c.jpg