A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a bit weird when they grow so much without the weight isn't it Dory.

I know Aliwake! And the next size up is huge so will be harder to lug around to training and eventually trials too. Not sure if it will fit flat in my hatch back either.

Oh no... needing to buy a new crate AND a new car - not good!! :)

We're car shopping at the moment, and it sux so much. I want a small/medium suv so Nix can go in the cargo area rather than lounging all over the back seat, but all the pretty ones have a sloped back window that means no head room for the dog if he's standing up... And all the ones that do have head room are ugly... The things we do for our babies!

I can't afford it at the moment, but I already know what type of car I want when I can.

I need a ute again and preferably 4wd for work (involving lots of back roads and animal equipment) but because of the puppy I'm going to have to get a dual cab so he is comfortable laugh.gif

Loving the look of the Holden Colorado, in red biggrin.gif

Sounds great! It definitely helps to know what you want! Though, my father in law used to have a colorado and wasn't that happy with it, but I think they're a good entry level dual cab.

Maybe the bigger crate will fit with your seats folded down? I have a corolla hatch at the moment and it's amazing how much you can fit in it with the seats down.

I originally wanted a mazda cx-7, but after doing some reading they have a reputation for needing very very expensive repairs, so that's a bummer.

What I want doesn't seem to exist which sux. I want 4cyl for cheaper rego, but 2t towing in case we can ever afford to buy a boat - most seem to sit around 1500kg towing which is useless to me. And I want something aesthetically pleasing (I figure if we're spending lots of money we should at least think it looks nice). I also want to spend less than $20k which seems to make car salesmen think I'm delusional. If anyone has any genius ideas, let me know!

Yea I've heard bad reviews since they made the change from Rodeos to Colorados. But they look so much better than some other dual cabs laugh.gif

Hopefully in the few years it takes for me to save up they will improve!

Everyone I know that has a Mazda loves them, if thats the type of car I was looking at I would go with them or possibly Volkswagen, heard lots of good things about them lately.

Unfortunately my current seats don't fold flat :( My hatch back is that same that the back window slopes a lot so Nova has to sit on the back seat, but it fits his current crate perfectly folded in the back.

Edited by LisaCC

Yeah, i think most mazda models are very good, but as soon as I started researching the cx-7 the feedback is overwhelmingly bad (on the turbo models anyway, which is most of them). They have 1 non-turbo model which is still on my list, but they only tow 1ton which is useless. Apparently the turbo models chew a heap of fuel too.

The VW Tiguan is in the range I'm looking at, but I find them extremely unattractive :)

The current leaders are probably the Mitsubishi outlander (suprisingly practical layout, and not toooo ugly), and the subaru forester (not as ugly as they used to be, but still not great). Both aren't super appealing, but they do have very practical cargo areas.

In terms of dual cabs, I love the look of the Ford Ranger, or the Nissan Navara - but they are probably both more expensive than the colorado I think. My FIL now has an Amarok which he LOVES!!! He'd talk all day about it given the chance.

Edited by aliwake

See I can't stand the look of the Nissans, hate the fronts! And I refuse to buy a Ford after my old car, it's a matter of principal! laugh.gif

I have heard very good things about Amaroks, they are on my list.

I think you should find a car that looks good, no point spending money on a new car and you hate the way it looks. Obviously make sure it's mechanically sound!

Whats a buh dog?

All I can think is when they just get so frustrating you just go "buh" and walk away laugh.gif

Yea my little Kia Rio isn't very good for space. I used to have the worlds most awesome car, '86 4x4 Subaru Brumby! My labby loved the back of it!

:laugh: I need a new car too. Mine has been very, very faithful. But it's old and done a LOT of km's. I will need a new job before I will ever be able to afford a new car though, so we all squish into the one I have and hope it keeps being the faithful beast it has been. (I could do with less fuel useage though).

It's tough trying to find a car that suits though. I want something that the dogs have their spot, which isn't separated from us. Is comfortable for dogs and people. Dory HATES utes and vans, she was only ever meant for a back seat (or a front seat if there is a passengers lap to sit on). Don't know how Willow would cope with a van or ute, I would imagine she'd take it in her stride. Although she'd get a bit sad face at not being able to throw things at me or slobber in my ear while I'm trying to concerntrate on driving.

A car that is handy for shows/trials/general cartage of dogs where they might need to be kept comfy and cool. And can do distance driving.

New Job first. (or a well heeled sugar daddy who loves it when I spend his money on the dogs)

What about the mazda equivalent of the ford ranger Lisa? Is it the BT-50? can't remember... But I think it's the same car without being a ford... :)

Thanks whippytails, I'll look them up - though if it's brand new it probably won't fall in my price range. I'm also really nervous about turbos - I'm sure they're great, but I know they're expensive when they fail and that freaks me out.

Having a camry and a corolla for the last few years I've gotten a taste for relatively simple repairs. There's so many scary things that can go wrong with newer cars - way more computers and electricals!

I actually really like the Nissan Murano - lovely car with a nice big cargo area - only negative is it's a v6 and still only tows 1500kgs! I could maybe overlook the 6cyl thing for a decent tow rating, but can't justify it not having both.

I said from day one that I didn't want an x-trail, but they do tick all the boxes :( They tow 2t! and have a good shaped cargo area. Just innate prejudice on my part I guess. I may have to start slowly getting over it...

I got really excited when I heard that the Renault Koloes is basically an x-trail with different skin, but looked at one on the weekend and the cargo area is useless like every other curvy suv.

we're looking at getting a jeep patriot in the next few months. They start at $25,500 new and come with most of the usual extras standard. We were originally wanting 4wd but simply can't afford the extra $10k that seems to add onto the price :(

I've heard electrical issues are pretty common with jeeps so the new car warranty is a must have

That's a great price for a new car Leah! Warranty definitely sounds like a good idea. Though make sure you get everything checked off at every service, and the book signed. I've been reading a lot lately about factory warranty being voided due to not following the scheduled servicing... bastards!

I'd love a Jeep, but the horror stories I've heard about when you need to get anything fixed or replaced scared me off!

I have looked at the Mazda BT-50 too Aliwake :) I just went down town and saw a brand new teal Colorado though... so purty laugh.gif I know I know, I have to think function!