A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sumo is beautiful! Still so very huggable!

I hope Dotdashdot pops back in here to tell us how she went with Nalas first show!

I've lost all hope of not being a crazy dog lady. Just did some washing and ALL of my jeans/shorts had treats in the pockets!

Haha here I am, I forgot to post in here too, yes we got baby in group :D was my first time beating others in a group! Was sooooo stoked, and so was her breeder. Cleo did me proud too, and got challenge bitch neuter (and I nearly walked out of the ring because I'm so used to only neuter bitches that I forgot I had to challenge the dog lol). I even got a comment from the class judge that Nala has good spotting, a promising comment from one of the owners of Australia's best show dog!!

Today we only got baby of breed (only pup in the class) and Cleo was beaten as well, but I am still so happy with how they have shown, and lots of people love Nala (my friend is like, keep her away from Kay!! She wants to steal her!) lol which is nice. 2 days to go!!

It's so much fun to actually win! There was a girl there though, her very first show yesterday with her little Aussie and she won 3-6 s/s, baby of breed, then group and probably close to show as well (Doberman got it). She called it beginners luck but then has done it again today (we left before general specials though, so don't know which pup got in show) so there are a few of us newbies having a good time. I still call myself a newb too, I may have several shows under my belt but I still feel like I have NFI what's happening half the time lol.

:whee: Laci has done really well in her 1st Brisbane show. She got best baby in breed then best baby in group. :happydance: Only sad that I'm not there to see my little star.

Where are you showing dotdashdot? :thumbsup: Nala.

Well done!!! We are showing locally to me, bonville and Dorrigo shows (held near Coffs Harbour) not a very big show, but big enough for me lol. We had the same result as yesterday, baby of breed only, she's really scared of the examination part now :( I've got a lot of work to do to fix her up, but the judge today was so good, she actually gave me show training, as I showed Nala! I feel so bad though, everyone else's puppies are so well behaved and nala's trying to run away from the judge and climb into my lap. I don't quite get it, the first judge didn't hurt her (that I saw, he was not gentle, but that was all) but now she gets set up, judge approaches and she freaks out. She likes the judges, started to wag her tail and climb into their lap once (embarrassing!) but will not stand for examination now. Not really related to teething either, she's letting people touch her mouth.

Well done!!! We are showing locally to me, bonville and Dorrigo shows (held near Coffs Harbour) not a very big show, but big enough for me lol. We had the same result as yesterday, baby of breed only, she's really scared of the examination part now :( I've got a lot of work to do to fix her up, but the judge today was so good, she actually gave me show training, as I showed Nala! I feel so bad though, everyone else's puppies are so well behaved and nala's trying to run away from the judge and climb into my lap. I don't quite get it, the first judge didn't hurt her (that I saw, he was not gentle, but that was all) but now she gets set up, judge approaches and she freaks out. She likes the judges, started to wag her tail and climb into their lap once (embarrassing!) but will not stand for examination now. Not really related to teething either, she's letting people touch her mouth.

get as many people as possible to go over Nala while outside the ring and give her a treat as they approach and finish. Even just set her up and have people approach and leave, walk past and around etc before touching her.

get as many people as possible to go over Nala while outside the ring and give her a treat as they approach and finish. Even just set her up and have people approach and leave, walk past and around etc before touching her.

Thank you, times like this I wish I was less shy! I think I'll take her to work with me, lots of people who all love dogs! We start the obedience club's puppy school soon, I think that will be a good chance to practice with people going over her too, more of a formal setting,

Success, I decided to introduce some more tricks for Ezio to learn as I didn't want to bore him with just sit, drop and touch. It took only 3 sessions to train paw (run to a flat item and put his paw on it) and shake. Shake is a little confusing, as I was reinforcing any form of him putting his foot on my hand, he got the impression he should lie down to shake, so now I am shaping a sit/shake. We have also begun on grab it (grabs and holds whatever I ask) and stand is still a bit of a tough one for him, I assumed stand would be harder to grasp so I am trying to take it slowly.

Ezio is an absolute gem on lead, I only have a few moments where he will go ahead, but he will easily return when I encourage him and have no issues. He quickly learned when I say "stop!" it means stop and sit, like an emergency cue and he is doing well with sits/downs on walks. People and dogs are still a distraction but we are working on it and he ignores barking dogs behind a fence. I am pretty happy with how his training is tracking and I am amazed at how easy going he is.

I attended the first day of obedience today, it was an orientation only so no dogs on first day, next week we begin our journey to obedience and that should be interesting. I learned there is a few dogs over a year old in his class so this will be new for him and no doubt a complete restart on his training with distractions. I look forward to it :)

no photos but here is a video of Ezio with the zoomies playing with one of our cats

Edited by Kanae

Thank you, times like this I wish I was less shy! I think I'll take her to work with me, lots of people who all love dogs! We start the obedience club's puppy school soon, I think that will be a good chance to practice with people going over her too, more of a formal setting,

Your work mates can do it. They don't need to do a full on exam, nor does Nala need to be stacked. Get her sitting and have people approach and leave, Nala doesn't get a treat unless she has four feet, and bum, on the floor. Then repeat while she is standing. Can do it during tea and lunch breaks. :D

Your work mates can do it. They don't need to do a full on exam, nor does Nala need to be stacked. Get her sitting and have people approach and leave, Nala doesn't get a treat unless she has four feet, and bum, on the floor. Then repeat while she is standing. Can do it during tea and lunch breaks. :D

Thank you, that's some good advice. I'm thinking I'll pull her out of tomorrows show, no point in stressing her when I want her to like showing. I'll still take her along though, i'll be showing my other dog.

Thank you, that's some good advice. I'm thinking I'll pull her out of tomorrows show, no point in stressing her when I want her to like showing. I'll still take her along though, i'll be showing my other dog.

Some good advice given. Do you have her down for Armidale in 2 weeks?