A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Your work mates can do it. They don't need to do a full on exam, nor does Nala need to be stacked. Get her sitting and have people approach and leave, Nala doesn't get a treat unless she has four feet, and bum, on the floor. Then repeat while she is standing. Can do it during tea and lunch breaks. :D

Thank you, that's some good advice. I'm thinking I'll pull her out of tomorrows show, no point in stressing her when I want her to like showing. I'll still take her along though, i'll be showing my other dog.

Actually skip the sitting part just let her stand anyhow then tighten it up to be a stacked stand. Wouldn't want her to sit when the judge comes over :laugh: Yeah take her anyway and have some fun, play around a bit with her, enjoy the day.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your work mates can do it. They don't need to do a full on exam, nor does Nala need to be stacked. Get her sitting and have people approach and leave, Nala doesn't get a treat unless she has four feet, and bum, on the floor. Then repeat while she is standing. Can do it during tea and lunch breaks. :D

Thank you, that's some good advice. I'm thinking I'll pull her out of tomorrows show, no point in stressing her when I want her to like showing. I'll still take her along though, i'll be showing my other dog.

Actually skip the sitting part just let her stand anyhow then tighten it up to be a stacked stand. Wouldn't want her to sit when the judge comes over :laugh: Yeah take her anyway and have some fun, play around a bit with her, enjoy the day.

Well we took her along, had a chat with my friend who is also my mentor and she said to try her, she's not really that bad apparently (and is allowed to be a little timid being a baby). I did pull her from sweepstakes, that was a longer class and I wanted to focus our energy on the breed class.

She was much better today, still pulling away and in group she tried to bum plant again because she thought we were having another examination but I encouraged her up and she was happy there was no exam! The judge was very kind, he didn't touch her mouth (I didn't even tell him she was teething, she's lost several more teeth this weekend - she's a big gummy bear!) and she stood and let him touch her after the initial pull away.

I guess I was so worried because there was a dog excused on the first day, he was terrified and peed and bit the judge and I was so fearful that I was ruining Nala and would cause her to be like that, but I have been given some lovely advice from so many people including judges. I will now put some hard yards in to have her good for our next outing!

All in all, we came away with a Baby in Group from our very first show together and I wasn't expecting that - so i'm happy! I think she has a bright future ahead, as long as we practice (thanks Rebanne for your tips!)

Luvsdogs I was going to, but decided to save my money and use that towards the Dally specialty instead, as i'll get to meet up with Nala and Cleo's family and Nala's breeder finally! Wasn't a hard decision, I HATEHATEHATE driving up Dorrigo Mountain to get there!

That is shame DotDashdot, we would have gone and had a look if you were going to be there, but totally understand the range thing. I hate it too, but not much choice when you want to get to the coast from here. I am sure you are very excited to meet Nala's family. Good luck with saving your money for it.

Di

Aw would have been nice to meet you guys! I'm sure we'll get up there again one day, I LOVE Armidale city (we last passed through in late April, and it was beautiful with all the falling leaves) and the whole country out there is gorgeous, I just wish they'd build a better road. The issue we had was actually something the mechanic had done with our brake pads, but no matter what, having your brakes jam and start smoking coming down the mountain is enough to freak you out! (we have a better car now though). Thanks, it's knuckle down time now! (hard when I love to spoil my girls lol)

Oh no,Brake problems on the range would be so scary, no wonder you hate the range, but it is beautiful in Armidale in Autumn, by far the most beautiful time of year here. A better road is something we in Armidale dream about- we all like to escape to the coast.

Di

Random question, is playing tug bad when the puppy is teething? Ezio is losing some teeth now and is chewing a lot more, I am wondering if tug is too painful during this time as he is less happy about playing tug at the moment?

Random question, is playing tug bad when the puppy is teething? Ezio is losing some teeth now and is chewing a lot more, I am wondering if tug is too painful during this time as he is less happy about playing tug at the moment?

Yes don't play tug, you can loosen the teeth prematurely and cause some problems for the new ones coming through. Once they are all through you can play again. Nova loves tug so he was a bit upset that I wouldn't play but I did manage to teach him a great retrieve during that time biggrin.gif

It's such a pretty drive though. I've only done a couple of times, once from Urunga to Dorrigo, after a flood & we had to stop numerous times while they were attending to land slides & the other time was at night in the pouring rain, not fun, from Armidale to Urunga.

Laci is entered in the Armidale show, not sure if we're going but she will be going with her breeder KatieP. We picked Laci up today after her trip to Brisbane for shows. She came home with ribbons for best baby puppy in a Championship Show & an Open Show. So proud of her. :love:

It's such a pretty drive though. I've only done a couple of times, once from Urunga to Dorrigo, after a flood & we had to stop numerous times while they were attending to land slides & the other time was at night in the pouring rain, not fun, from Armidale to Urunga.

Laci is entered in the Armidale show, not sure if we're going but she will be going with her breeder KatieP. We picked Laci up today after her trip to Brisbane for shows. She came home with ribbons for best baby puppy in a Championship Show & an Open Show. So proud of her. :love:

It is beautiful, I actually live just about 10 mins up the road from Urunga, but I say I live near Coffs coz that's where I grew up. A nighttime drive would be a nightmare!

Good luck in the Armidale show, and CONGRATS on that huge achievement!

Had an awful incident at the dog park yesterday - I'm absolutely fuming. After going there for months and having 100% positive interactions, and us both making some lovely friends, we came into contact with a complete douchebag yesterday. A guy with a golden retriever came down - he has been there before with no dramas, but not often. Nixon and the other dog were playing really nicely together, and clearly enjoying themselves. They were settling in for a long round of bitey face, when the guy said, oh, my dog has had some trouble with his ears lately so we need to make sure his ears don't get bitten. So, I dragged Nixon away a couple of times, but they both clearly wanted to keep playing, so then the guy grabbed nixon, dragged him away and hit him over the face 5 or 6 times (telling him no or something ridiculous)! He didn't hit him very hard, and I think I was so shocked that I didn't do anything (I'm so ashamed now!) I called Nixon to me and mumbled something about not telling him off for something he's normally allowed to do without any problems, and fortunately the guy left a minute or two later. Why on earth would he even take his dog to the park if his dog's ears needed to be kept clean.

I'm so angry, and so disappointed in myself for not sticking up for him better. Luckily for that guy Nix has a lovely temperament and just took it all with a slightly confused look on his face :( If he ever tries that again he'll be hearing about it for sure!

What a total effing idiot. I would have smacked him one right back.

If your dog has a medical issue the dog park is the LAST place he should be.

I would never ever ever ever smack someone elses dog. Holy shit, I can see how you would be furious.

Lucky Nix is such a good guy. He could have quite easily got bitten or scarred him for life.

WTF is wrong with people?!

I know Steph - I felt like calling the police and reporting an assault! I think I was just frozen in disbelief!! I will not be frozen if there's a next time - I'm now prepared for the existence of tossers like that :(

I just can't even imagine why he thought that would be ok!

Thanks dotdashdot it's so pretty up that way. I had an uncle used to live at Bellingen. I was going to a conference at Coffs quite a few years ago now, & spent a few nights at Urunga on the way so we could go up to Bellingen & Dorrigo (the time of the landslides). We stopped to have a look at the Cheese Factory & a man came running up to the car to tell us the river was rising & that they had to evacuate. Took some footage of the raging river & went back to Urunga. We were able to get up to Dorrigo on our way home.

Glad to hear that Nixon is ok aliwake. I've heard of others freezing in similar situations, I think I would too. I know if anything unpleasant happens I think of a dozen other things I could have said.

Quick Gus update!

Few photos while out early camping last week. He was so ready to do some work and I was still half asleep. He had fun though...

12231835744_fb40a754aa.jpg

12230465626_61c62c7f0f.jpg

12230315924_9392240219.jpg

12229934885_659e7edace.jpg

And a few fun ones;

12229214753_5fa454f3b0_z.jpg

12229409554_3f053ed3bb_z.jpg

12229198273_294eb2905a_z.jpg

12230902373_bed9504667_z.jpg

Rosie did not like unsealed roads...

12229141986_518af326c9_z.jpg

This was the first and only time we've exhausted her... only took 3.5 hours of running and swimming non stop. Will keep that in mind...not.

They're both doing really well, they had their first bicker the other day when Gus stole Rosie's dinner and she snapped at him so he went to sit a metre away and look sad at her and I. Don't really blame her, but they eat further apart now.

Gus is still the wart king, as you can see.

He's growing really well.

We did have one dipstick in a caravan next to us who let his staffy in a big studded harness come over and get his hackles up at my two and then add 'oh he really doesn't like other dogs' (am I the only one that sees those studded harnesses and thinks they just scream d*ckhead?)

So after we politely asked that he remove his dog from mine, who do like other dogs and are on lead and are doing the right thing his peed on our tent on the way out, so being a bit of a smarty I asked if he wouldn't mind getting a bucket and some morning fresh and rinsing it off, please.

He told me our 'little brown one' peed on his. I politely reminded him she is a girl. He washed the tent. Haha. That was the only drama! They were so good, so patient and didn't steal food or bark. Settled happily in the tent and Rosie spent most of it free-ranging as she just wanted to sleep in the tent on the second day, so we took her off lead and let her. Gus stayed on his as I had a vision of him collecting all the tents...

Oh Aliwake, what a douch (I have a worse name in my mind). I probably would of frozen too, but definitely would of felt like punching the living crap out of that guy!!

Glad Nixon just took it in his stride!

Steph your trip sounds AMAZING!

When I get some money I really want to go on a big camping trip, just me and the dog. Maybe meet all the DOLers along the way that have wanted to meet up biggrin.gif

I'm thinking give me two years or so, I'll buy a Holden Colorado and pack the tray and just go!