A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Awesome pics Steph! So nice to see some pics of Gus looking all grown up, and of them both having so much fun!

Pretty impressed you survived camping with two dogs :)

P.s. thanks for all the support guys. I'm not feeling better about what happened, but have managed to let go of my distress somewhat. We went to the park yesterday cos I wanted to have a positive experience, and we both had a nice time, so I don't think Nix is going to have any lasting issues.

As an aside, we went to the vet today and he didn't pee on anything!! hooray!

Edited by aliwake

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you & your dogs had a mostly great time camping Steph M, great photos.

Laci went to her 1st pet dog class today at my obedience club. She was willing to do things for me for most of the time but soon got bored with her usual kibble as treats. Just as well I know the instructors well, as they gave me yummier treats & we practised heel position & even got her to weave figure 8's around my legs. :) Even though I haven't taught her much basic stuff she was soon doing stand, drop, stand for one piece of kibble and unlike Panda she loves roll over.

We hung around until after the break & did some more things with the bigger dogs (as above). There was a little bit of unwanted barking but on the whole she was really good. Now I have one tired puppy. :sleep:

Edited by luvsdogs

aliwake - that is horrible :( I hope it doesn't affect your pup long term!

steph - jealous! Looks like it was a tonne of fun

lisa- great work on the weaves! It is great when the dog shows enjoyment of a task

luvsdogs - nice work!

We just got back from our first day working together at the obedience club, he did awesome and I was able to distract him away from other dogs even when he was sniffing them. I am super happy with the results, I was expecting far less from him but he gave me more than I could have hoped, his attention even with dogs of all ages and barking levels was awesome. :thumbsup:

We enrolled at our new chosen obedience club, after the last one turned out to be all about choker chains and archaic thinking, we've found one we like and are really happy with.

We went to the induction day yesterday, which is sans dogs, basically a really solid brief for us people on what we can hope to achieve, what the options from there on in are and how they run.

All well and good, but we were 10 mins late cause Gus ate his vaccination cert.... I kid you not....

We had to stop at the vet for a reprint and an old guy was in to take his little old JR to be put down and he was buying the urn over the counter and I was struggling not to have a sook.

All good though, we got there with not too much time lost and enrolled both dogs, and Brooke and I are going to compete for who can get a higher level quicker.

He has the smart one, but she's less biddable and quite nervous. I have the super biddable one who's maybe a little less sharp but solid as a rock (Gus, duh!) so we figure we're on a pretty even field there.

First intro class is Monday night. Wish us luck!

Thank Kanae, I'm really enjoying training him biggrin.gif

Glad your obedience classes are going well too!

Good luck Steph, Gus and Rosie!

We suddenly have another wonky ear day with lots of chewing going on, maybe some molars coming through?

Nova has "guilty puppy eyes" down to a fine art.

"Nova did you destuff ANOTHER toy?"

IMG_0967_zps04423950.jpg?t=1391314453

"Come on you know you can't stay mad at me" biggrin.gif

IMG_0966_zps92cfeca6.jpg

We enrolled at our new chosen obedience club, after the last one turned out to be all about choker chains and archaic thinking, we've found one we like and are really happy with.

We went to the induction day yesterday, which is sans dogs, basically a really solid brief for us people on what we can hope to achieve, what the options from there on in are and how they run.

All well and good, but we were 10 mins late cause Gus ate his vaccination cert.... I kid you not....

We had to stop at the vet for a reprint and an old guy was in to take his little old JR to be put down and he was buying the urn over the counter and I was struggling not to have a sook.

All good though, we got there with not too much time lost and enrolled both dogs, and Brooke and I are going to compete for who can get a higher level quicker.

He has the smart one, but she's less biddable and quite nervous. I have the super biddable one who's maybe a little less sharp but solid as a rock (Gus, duh!) so we figure we're on a pretty even field there.

First intro class is Monday night. Wish us luck!

Hi Steph, from memory you live the Melbourne western suburbs?? Do you think you could maybe PM me name of the obedience club as it sounds really great and I've been thinking of joining one after puppy school as Didi is crazy smart and loves obedience work. Thanks a lot Id really appreciate it - and good luck for tonight!

Hello Everyone,

I have some news to share and will try and get some pics in the coming days. Over the long weekend I went to visit a breeder in NSW to look at puppies and end up with a 14month old little girl coming home with me. She is the perfect little girl and makes her show debut on the March long weekend.

Her name is Goldie and she is a red Ig.

Loving everyones pics. Cant believe how big everyone is. Nova is looking stunning.

She is more than lovely. She is just perfect. Such a great temperament. Has been to school for show and tell. Went to a dog show the second day she was home to visit. She was definitely worth the long wait.

Still not so keen on the cat and if the cat hisses she cries but they will come good in time.

we had a serious behaviour pop up, bf accidentally/unknowingly caused food aggression/resource guarding, he was poking Ezio's chicken frame to get him to eat it (I wasn't outside at the time but I heard the first warning bark), what he didn't realise was he was making him upset and nervous because he thought he was taking his bone and teasing him. Ezio suddenly changed and became super aggressive when you approached, he would growl and run off with the bone, was snapping and even when given treats his entire behaviour was urgent, stiff and aggressive when taking the food and he would snap back over the frame and hover over it very stiffly.

That was 2 days ago, I have reverted back to the triangle of temptation with him waiting on lead, and I kept him chained on a seperate chain to prevent him running off to trigger the resource guarding behaviour as it seems to start when he runs off, then just treated him every time I approached with a higher value food (he finds his barf dinner a higher value than bones), day 2 and he is completely relaxed, no guarding behaviour, instead he would stop eating the bone and run over to see what I had and would ignore his bone for the food in my hand. Will just have to keep repeating to make sure we don't have a relapse. I haven't given him another chicken frame yet, just regular meaty bone tonight, but I will wait until I am comfortable with his behaviour before giving another chicken frame and working on that.

Might be worth a chat with a behaviourist there. I wouldn't feel comfortable offering any advise as frankly I've never had to deal with that!

Poor pup.

Sounds like you have it under control now but a quick phone call to make sure there's nothing else you've missed can't hurt!

Congratulations whippytails! Can't wait to see some pics of your new girl!

Kanae, sounds a bit scarey, but it also sounds like you're managing it well. Like Steph, I wouldn't know what to suggest, but just wanted to sympathise :)

Hi everyone,

I am new here, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's posts. This forum has given me soooo much information, and helped with those stressful moments of being a new puppy Labrador owner! Our little guy's name is Milo & he's just 12 weeks old - he's a black Lab & we love him to bits.

Im look forward to reading all of your posts & getting some great tips from everyone!! I have already spent countless hours reading through all the different sections and looking at the stunning photos - there are some beautiful dogs on this site! Here is a pic of our little fella - he's growing by the minute!:)

post-51323-0-29636700-1391726236_thumb.jpg

post-51323-0-67790600-1391726183_thumb.jpg