A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

So of all toys Ezio gets excited for, it is a cat toy with feathers on the end of the string. When that comes out, he is over the moon and will work as hard as possible for it. I am not quite sure how to incorporate it into regular training, it isn't something I can take with me everywhere as a reward, I am yet to find anything else he sees as such a high value as it. Food has nothing against the feather cat toy when it comes to value.

Any suggestions?

This sounds GREAT for training! Get a prey tug, that is the tougher dog version of a cat toy biggrin.gif (like THIS ONE!) Build that drive, transition onto a normal tug and watch how awesome he'll be!

Nova is very toy/tug driven and will give me so much focus because of it! Like you've noticed it can be so much more higher value than food!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish you could all meet her in real life! And Lisa, you know you want a liver ;) they're crazier than the blacks!

Do you travel much for shows? I'd love to meet you both!

She does sway me, I've adored blacks for so long, but the only liver I knew was a lovely old girl who was deaf but very sweet, still nuts in her old age though! This was going back to when I was around 10! She cemented my love of Dallies (then Mum bought me a lab instead laugh.gif).

I don't think I even knew liver dalmations existed until recently - given I have a thing for brown dogs, I definitely think they're lovely!!

Ok, quick run down on the treat wheel - we tried it for dinner and breakfast. It's great, because it's a definite 2 stage puzzle. It has 4 yellow treat covers, that all have to be removed before the top will spin and reveal the other 4 treat holes. So far Nixon will remove one or two yellow things, then freak out wondering why the wheel won't spin yet! It's definitely a good level of challenging, and is a sturdy, well made puzzle. I'm pretty pleased with it actually.

with 2 treat covers removed:

1551670_10152177515407889_43216183_n.jpg

with the top half spun, so you can see part of all 8 compartments:

74340_10152177515812889_1586744721_n.jpg

In action!

1014408_10152177515897889_939407992_n.jpg

It looks nice and sturdy (and drooly)! Is the store near you or did it just ship out super fast?!

I always try and look for the one liver Dalmatian in the 101 Dalmatians movie (not the cartoon), it's plays one of the puppies in a few scenes and you can spot it if you are quick!

Very drooly! :)

I think the store is in perth, but I ordered friday and it arrived tuesday. I think their flat rate shipping is $9.80, so not super cheap, but cos I was ordering something else anyway it made sense for me. I haven't really looked around to see if anyone else stocks them, but it's possible!

I hate to admit, but I haven't actually seen the 101 Dalmatians movie! I always thought the concept was a bit scarey... :)

Just had a quick look around and there are other stores that sell them, but nobody else has the full range and they are usually a lot more expensive than PP. I have a sneaking suspicion that PP is the importer/wholesaler...

Very proud of Nova today. Took him down the street today to pick up some dog food from Petstock (I like to do some heeling in distractions there and practicing calmly meeting the shop keepers), then stopped at a coffee shop before we went for a swim. While we were waiting for coffee two ladies and their around 8 year old sons started asking about Nova. Nova paid zero attention to them! He was looking at me for instruction the whole time!!!

When they asked if they could pat him I actually had to make him get up to walk towards them and then he was so gentle! They were still sitting at the table so Nova just sat down next to one of the boys and put his head on the boys lap while wiggling his stumpy buttbiggrin.gif It was adorable!

Even the women proclaimed how well behaved he was for an 8month old pup!!

This was before we even went for the swim so he hadn't even been exercised yet except from walking from car to store, around the store, back to car then car to coffee shop!!

I THINK I might be seeing a bit of adult Novas temperament starting to pop up biggrin.gif

Also bonus was these people were really nice and didn't once ask me why I chopped off his tail or tell me my dog was a mutt thumbsup1.gif Polite people regarding my dog are getting harder to find!

How close are you to Sydney Lisa? I'll be down that way for the Dalmatian specialty in April (can you think of anything better!) lol. On my Dalmatian FB group someone took a screen shot thing of the liver dally in 101 Dalmatians, the scene was where it was being held by a police officer - so at the end. I must say I had never noticed until I saw that.

Good to hear Nova was a good boy in store, we have 2 red merles that visit us, Cooper and Summer and I LOVE them, they are the reason my husband will get his own Aussie probably when we move house. He's very determined that it will be HIS dog! They are so focused and well behaved, very different to dallies in their focus. It's so funny, their humans are so used to all of us at the store fawning over their dogs, luckily they don't think we're crazy nutcases just dog lovers.

I'm about 4-5 hours from Sydney, almost half way between there and Melbourne. But depending on the dates I may be on holidays and around Sydney anyway! I was thinking if I have the time/money I might go check out the Royal Easter Show.

How great! Might be a tie between that and the Aussie speciality though tongue.gif

"They are so focused and well behaved" Hahahhahaha, not all the time!

But you should definitely add one to your spotty household!

The same thing happens in store here :) It opened the week before I picked Nova up so everyone there has watched him grow up and they all come rushing over to us every time we come in (which is way too often). I've even become friends with one of the workers and Nova adores her!

Nova was good Today it's not consistent yet :)

I'm 5-6 hours from Sydney :) would be meeting halfway lol. I was going to go to the Royal as well but Nala's breeder is coming up all the way from Tassie for the specialty so we chose that instead. Haha the Aussie Special is the same day as the Dally and the same location!

Haha well next to my two they are exceptional lol. They have done a fair bit of obedience training too :) We will def. be adding one once we have a property, and it will be a red merle if I get my way.

"Haha the Aussie Special is the same day as the Dally and the same location!"

Well I will definitely be going if I can get the funds and time! If only the Labs were on at the same time then It would be perfect biggrin.gif

I don't think we will be doing any showing for a while though (thats if he has even grown right to do anymore), I was looking at entering one near by thats in 3 weeks but Nova is still a bit wary after being attacked. Getting much better, but I think he's hitting his second fear period as well, so I don't want to overload him.

I hope you can, I'm saving hard from now, I've cancelled my plans to attend a nearer show in Feb for this big one. I don't think I'll do that great in terms of winning but I will possibly get the chance to enter a parent and progeny class which would be very exciting and I think we could do well in that, Nala's siblings already have a few baby in groups under their belts and her dad won a few BIS this month!

It's sad how dog attacks effect them so much, Cleo can't really say hi to other dogs on lead now, because she was attacked on lead. She can be fine off lead playing with the same dogs but on lead she'll growl at them. But in the same breath, i'd rather she not run with other dogs that I don't know because she places them much higher in value than me - something I want to do differently with Nala.

Parent and progeny class would be great!

I think Nova will overcome it, but I definitely don't want to flood him. He's just wary when another dog comes up to him now, (not that I want them coming up to us in an on leash area), he is fine if he is the one to approach though, but like you with Cleo I prefer not to have him run free with unknown dogs as I like him to value me higher, which goes up and down depending on his stage of naughtiness!

How are Cleo and Nala getting along now?

Lisa, that sux the Nova is still a bit wary around other dogs :( Hopefully he does get over it soon, but I agree in conjunction with a fear period, it's not to be messed with!

Nixon has started jumping at shadows when he goes outside at night now, and I wonder if some of his barking is fear related. hard to know!

Cleo and Nala love each other! Nala still spends most of the day in her "run" but has a lot of time out with the bigger girls and loves them both, they've really accepted her into the "pack". I can't wait til Nala is big enough to really run with Cleo, I'm so conscious of Cleo accidentally hurting Nala, she runs so fast that Nala would just run into her or be bowled over and hurt.