Still Trying To Choose A Breed

Solo pup

Well I still can't make up my mind on the type of puppy I want.

I did want a small dog but I am thinking of getting another border collie as I have been missing my old girl so much.

Can any one tell me if the show line border collies are a bit quiter then the working line bc?

The other breed I have always liked is the Australian shepherd. But I don't know a lot about this breed. Are they good with kids? Are they anything like a border collie in temperament?

Are they as smart and active as a border collie?

Sorry for all the questions but the best way to learn is to ask.

My kids are no help they want a mushing dog. Don't know where that's coming from.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I swear my new puppy is like a miniature border collie atm laugh.gif

Sorry im not much help !embarrass.gif

All the best with your puppy searching!

Ps have you checked this section out on dol yet ? http://www.dolforums...dog-breeds-101/ (theres usually reviews of most breeds in there from dol members- owners)smile.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I think you need to get out and meet both breeds and breeders. I know you've had a BC in the past but lines and temperaments vary between kennels.

However, if you feel you aren't up for the exercise and stimulation that go with a working dog (show lines or not), I'd not recommend either breed.

If you want small, smart and spunky, look at the Papillon.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I agree with trying to meet both breeds (and others that you might consider). Most people who know both Aussies and BCs see differences in their temperaments, IMO Aussies are just as smart and active (except my lazy one :o ) as BCs but sem to have a slightly different focus. BCs are often quite task focussed and all about "their" person where as Aussies are more interested in what everyone else is doing, dog and human.

I definitely wouldn't go for an Aussie as a 'quieter' option than a BC. I'd say they would need just as much time training and exercising to tire out their bodies and brains.

They should be good with kids all though there are differences between them, some, like mine and her sister, are very boisterous and probably too rough for little kids but others are much more calm and reserved.

I would second the rec to consider a Japanese Spitz. My sister, a former BC owner and lover, got a JS puppy last October and loves her. She has a 6 and 7 year old and couldn't commit to the exercise requirements of a BC. Kisu has slotted straight into their family life.

Thanks everyone.

My kids are only five, four, three and nine months. They must see a husky or something on one of there movies or on the tv.

I will be waiting till my baby is walking before we get our puppy. I know they are all real young but they are all very good with dogs.

We do want to move to a country area some time in the near future. So will have our own space for endless running around.

Will be going to dog shows to see some dogs with the kids.

I just need to pick one. To many to choose from.

Border Collie temperaments vary a lot even within the same litter so there are puppies to suit most situations. It is just a matter of telling the breeder what you need in a dog and seeing if they have anything suitable by 6-8 weeks when the temperaments are very obvious. A fairly robust but calm dog would suit you best. You do not want a hyper, bossy, timid or sensitive dog with small children. I would actually suggest getting a puppy well before your youngest is walking if possible because then the puppy has a decent chance of escaping a toddler if they are a bit bigger by the time the child is on their feet. I do not like kids aged 1-2 with baby puppies as the risk of them picking up a very young puppy and dropping it is quite high. If the puppy is a few months older by the time the child is mobile there is a lot less chance of it being picked up or stomped on.

Aussies are a similar breed, not as smart or fast on the uptake as Borders but still smarter than most other breeds. This observation comes from my many friends who have trained both breeds in obedience and dog sports. They are bigger, heavier and generally more boisterous than Borders. I would be worried that an Aussie would be more inclined to send toddlers flying when running around than a Border would.

I also have a Japanese Spitz and do not think they would be a good fit with little kids. They are highly excitable, bark a lot at noise, tend to be bossy and are bitey as babies. I have never had a Border that bites in play but the JS can definitely be like that for months. They are also very tiny, delicate babies who are easily damaged until they grow a bit. A great breed with older, calmer kids but not one I would get with little ones.

Edited by dancinbcs

Get a shiba inu! They're awesome! Mine has boundless energy but has an 'off' switch and will go from madly running around to calmly lying by my feet within seconds

One of mine is so laid back all the time that I sometimes check that he is still breathing :laugh:

But if you do move to a country area, they will catch and kill birds and rodents so be warned :(

I've had 6 kids and a few dogs. My personal favourite is still the flat-coated retreiver, for reasons I think you should look for in any prospective dog with young children.

Their temprement is is unbeleivable. They are unfailingly affectionate, love to play and be cuddled. They are almost impossible to anger, will tolerate all kinds of ear-pulling, but will still act protecive of young children (without trying to dominate them.)

They have been bred to retreive, with soft mouths, blunt teeth, and weak jaws. (There are many dogs that whilst good with kids, can still do terrible damage if things go wrong.)

Golden Retrievers are very similar.

One downside is that their need for companionship is almost constant, and if left alone they will become destructive and start digging up your plants.

With very young children a larger breed is a good option.A toddler/young child can fall on a small pup or dog and easily hurt or injure them.

Have you considered an older pup or adult dog that has had some training and has already been around young kids.?

My autistic son was 3 when we adopted a 10 month old Wolfhound x who was great with kids, very gentle.My son fell on her a few times and it didn't bother her one bit.

efs

I did a dog breed selection quiz with, good with young kids, large yard acreage ,good with other pets/animals and it came up with.

English Pointers,G S Pointer, Labrador, Curly coated retriever,

Edited by Purdie

Aussies vary a lot in regard to temperament. My girl is reserved, sensitive and would not do well around lots of young kids, she's a bit highly strung!

Very active, very attached to their people, mine can take or leave other dogs and has no interest in strangers. But then you get Aussies that love everyone too so it really depends on the dog.

They are similar to Borders but are physically heavier and rougher in play etc. My 22 kg Aussie body slams my 50kg Anatolian x :laugh:

What about a Goldie? Too big maybe?

Edited by Aussie3

A Lappie would fit in well :)

I agree Lappies are one to look into :)

Working breed so they do like to interact with people. Spitz breed so they look like a "mushing dog" - note that this also means they have an independent streak which should be taken into consideration. They are fairly average size... similar to a small BC in height. All the Lappies I know are great with kids even when they don't see them very often. More laid back than a BC (generally), still easy enough to train although you need to put the effort in early and their independent streak can kick in at times :laugh: Happy to go for as long a walk as you want but can miss a day (or two) without an issue :)

I agree with Aussie3...so much variation! My boy a few years ago would probably not do well with young children, especially when he was younger than 3, he was just sooo boisterous! They are bigger boned than borders, and definately love a good body slam! Luckily Biscuit is tough, because he gets bowled over and jumped on quite a lot...but always goes back for more :hitself: Rusty is fine if I miss a day walking him...but then on other days he happily runs 9km 3 times a week with me. And then one of mums work collegues got an Aussie expecting something like a BC...but ended up with a very lazy dog that could really take or leave exercise :laugh:

I have also noticed Aussies seem to have more of a "what's in it for me" attitude than BC's...the dogs I have met, BC's just live to please. However I've noticed that unless Rusty gets something out of it...wether it be a positive tone of voice, food, or a pat...he's not gonna do it, especially if you talk in a way to "belittle" him, he'll give you the finger and walk off, or just give me the saddest puppy dog eyes :laugh: