How Many Dogs?

Jemma

I have 4 - 8.5, 6.5, 2.5 and 10 weeks.

For everyday life - I would be happy with 4-6. As TO mentioned 3 is annoying as you tend to take 3 with you and there always seems to be an odd one out.. With 4 life became much easier.

I don't think I could compete with more than 2 regularly. Partly the cost and training time. I happily train all 4 but when it comes to trials I have to pick and choose a little more when it comes to entering stuff rather than just entering everything... But with 1 it's boring! Lol!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For people who have large numbers especially younger dogs how do you give them all the attention they require? Do you ever find it hard to give them one on one time?

no, because I don't lol. my dogs each have their own "niche" that they fit into that I suppose counts as "me and them" time but nothing is divided up or "fair". I mean ignoring my dogs ages as they do NOT act their age (my 10 and 12 year old BC's are just as limber and demanding as my 1.5 years old Heeler/Shepherds, if not more so.) I have 2 Cattle dog X GSDs, 2 BCs, 1 Toller and 1 JRT x..not exactly a group of undemanding breeds :laugh: but we just do everything all together, we walk all together, we cuddle all together, we play all together, and they all come to work with me at doggy daycare everyday.

Edited by cali

Yes the costs can be rather large for multiple dogs.

I went to a weekend of shows/trials and the entry fees were $150 with the added costs of living nearly 500kms away from the venue - not to mention after showing 2 in two shows, trialling two in obedience, then two in double jumpers and agility trials I was knackered!!

Edited by OSoSwift

Huski- honestly for me it's quality over quantity when you have larger numbers.

Their training time is their own which at home is 2x 5-10min sessions per day as I love short sessions. Each dog has a min 1hr training session at a club per week, evening walks are only 2 dogs so a bit more quality time.

On lazy (couch days) usually each will have a chance for cuddles on the couch...

Then when I go out sometimes only 1 or 2 come out. At trials, each gets a "social walk" while I go gazebo hopping and we have lots if cuddles then :-).

I find its really easy to manage :-)

I've only got one here, and have only ever had one at a time since being an adut and making my own decisions about dogs.

I would like to have more, two is the max I could have and manage to get a rental where I am, 5km for the CBD of Adelaide.

Would be cool if I could borrow a second race dog for a while just to see how well I do with having two :laugh:

(Anyone got a spare sibe :rofl: )

Honestly, even though we don't do that well at races Esky manages to all but pay her keep in kibble with winnings. I think last year I spent about $40 for the year on kibble ( good stuff!) and whatever on bones. The real killer is fuel, up and back to the forest for training runs, in my awesomely inefficient car :o Training 3-4 dogs would work out the same. Same distance in fuel, they can all be trained at the same time. That's where sledding is awesome, the more dogs you've got the more fun it is :D

For people who have large numbers especially younger dogs how do you give them all the attention they require? Do you ever find it hard to give them one on one time? I looked after six recently (half young working dogs) and I couldn't fathom how I would manage it full time. Even if your dogs are lower drive etc how do you share cuddle time? Etc

Having said that non dog people seem to think having three is a lot :laugh:

I have often wondered the very same thing huski. In multiple dog homes just how they manage to individually train each dog as this is something I tend to really struggle with even though I only have the 2 dogs. I have gotten into a habit of taking both of mine out together all the time & I think in hind sight I haven't done my girl any favours by doing so as she now relys a lot on my older boy & doesn't settle well on her own. I am now in the process of taking her on her own, very short sessions to start with. Much to her dismay :(

I just get the guilts if I leave one at home.

We have 9 here at the moment and will keep 2 out of this litter (due in 2 weeks), taking us to 11. They all live in a 3 bedroom house with us and are entirely indoor dogs (other than supervised toilet breaks and enclosed veranda time in nice weather). They hang about in the loungeroom with us, sleep in the beds (or under them as the case may be), and generally just cruise about.

We do have crates and pens set up around the place though so that if need be they can put away if they are annoying others etc, particular given that the young ones are quite boisterous and the older guys not so tolerant of the shennanigans :laugh: Everyone is either crated (bones) or put on individual beds in the loungeroom (wet food) at dinnertime and have to remain there for a few hours as we will not allow any play etc with full bellies, plus it prevents issues at feed time.

The key to large numbers of dogs is routine and sticking to it. Ours know the routine very well and know the boundaries, right down to the order that they are usually put out to toilet :) They will wait at the gate into the kitchen until the dog before them returns up the stairs :laugh:

Our ages currently range from 2yrs -13.5yrs with 2 pups to be added soon.

OMG ! Hats off to you Delta Charlie. I think your amazing. 9 dogs & all the training yours would have, cause I think you do Agility/flyball from memory. I am flat out with 2 much loved pet BC's LOL. I struggle getting basic one on one training done. What your secret?? :)

We have three. I would like one more iggy but the current guys are all very settled and happy. Not to mention I have to take husband's feelings into consideration ;)

3 is also really the limit for my FIL who looks after them when we go away so isn't fair on him either if we got another one.

Well, tomorrow I add a baby Yorkie to my herd which will then number 11.

I currently have three kelpies and an older whippet x staffy girl. They are the 'big' ones. I never intended to have more than 2 kelpies as they are a handful but one extra came home with me last year from herding one weekend as she was a failure on sheep and was going to go home to be shot as the farmers wouldn't keep her on. I understand it happens but I had met this one so I couldn't leave her there. She is coming along nicely with flyball and agility and loves the indoor life.

There are currently 6 toy dogs, 7 after tomorrow. I trial one little Yorkie in agility but she turns ten next month, hence the new babies arrival as a future 200 height dog. The other five toy dogs are all between 8 and 11 and are lounge lizards most of the time. I installed a shelf on the wall behind my sofa and velcroed cushions along it so it is a padded bench. They all lay about along that behind me when I am on the couch. If I nod off, I wake to find myself covered in small dogs who cuddle up for warmth.

All sleep indoors and its only the kelpies outside during the day. There is agility or flyball training most weeknights.

Tomorrow, when I collect my little Yorkie pup, it will also be the anniversary of the death of one of my little tinies. He died a year ago and I still miss him terribly. Doesn't matter how many there are, they all hold a special place in your heart.

It really is down to a strict routine to manage it. Feeding is regimented and all dogs are well aware that all food belongs to me. I don't need to crate to feed but I separate small dogs (and elderly whippet X) from Kelpies. Sleeping arrangements are that there is one Yorkie on the bed, 5 toy dogs in a double decker series of crates and one Kelpie boy in a crate (he is 2 and tends to wander and try and get everyone else to wake up and play if he's not crated.) The Kelpie girls and elderly whippet x all happily stay on their beds all night.

I don't do much else other than dog sports and it can be difficult planning a trip away but it works for me. Got a van custom fitted to travel them all and I frequently camp with ten in the tent. Entry fees for agility are getting expensive though. It was fine with 2 competing but now its three and soon to be 4. It adds up on one income. I am, however, a 'gold client' at my vet. That gets me 20% off.

Congrats to you TJ on your 11th addition tomorrow. Hats off to you to !! Amazing effort.

My OH doesn't really understand why I keep such a regamented time schedule but I find it really works for us too & the dogs seem to thrive on it. They do adjust quickly though if the usual timetable is thrown out the window like it has been for the last 5 weeks while we have been camping.

Any tips on how to incorperate more separate training, my only real issue that I feel like I'm letting my guys down. They could be so much more imo.

Edited by BC Crazy

9 here at the moment. Ages ranging from 11 years to 3 months. Luckily we live on acreage and I spend the majority of my time outside with the dogs. I have four house girls aged 11, 10,9.8. The rest sleep in the dog room of a night. We are lucky enough to have a sunroom that's been converted to cater for all my dogs' needs and it means I get to have them close to me at all times.

I don't find 9 a bother at all and can easily manage that number and meet all their needs. We have had 13 here and I found that a little too many. I found myself spending all my time feeding, cleaning, poo patrol and keeping their areas clean, that I didn't have enough time for quality bonding time. I like the number we have at the moment.

Guest Clover

I don't have a problem with spending one in one time with them at home (currently have a JRT asleep on me, 1 BC on my foot, the other 2 in their crates). Now that we are not competing in anything and my dogs are mainly older I find exercising them easy. Half an hour at the park for the BCs is all it takes to wear them out these days, and the youngster gets worn out really quickly. And I walk Harri with my mums little dogs for at least an hour most nights.

Food time and bed time has them all running to their spots (unless naughty Elvie is being a bugger). And they all eat fine together.

My one big thing with them is they don't get away with anything, not with me and certainly not with each other or the cats.

Edited by Clover

I currently have 10 plus 1 foster, and 1 that belongs to a friend. I am able to manage a large number of dogs because 7 of them are toy sized (iggies) and the other 4 are larger dogs. I run my dogs as 2 packs - the iggy pack and the big dog pack. My yard is fenced into two yards and indoors I use toddler gate to separate the 2 packs.

I exercise the 4 big dogs together, 4 is my limit in bigger dogs. I exercise them offlead out of town in a creek bed, we all go for a walk thru the scrub, dogs love it and its easy to take all 4. They are aged from 1 yr - 7 yrs. I have a golden, a boxer, a Bassett fauve and a bullmastiff cross. The bullmastiff x is a mellow houndy type, the golden I've done a bit of obedience with, and she was my first show dog.. The boxer is big goof and I don't do anything formal with him, he's well behaved in the house and loves going for a run. The Bassett fauve I show and am about to start obedience with.

The 7 iggies are a pack, and they keep each other well exercised running around the yard. They are all show amd/or breeding dogs. They are aged 1-7yrs as well. I run all 7 together except when I have girls in season. Luckily they are a harmonious breed and all get along well. My limit for Iggies will be 8 I think. Because I live in a remote area I need to keep a number of stud dogs, as its just too far to travel for a mating.

All dogs sleep inside, all are crated individually during feeding times. It's pretty hectic at times but you get used to it. I have 2 rooms totally used for the dogs, the dining room and an enclosed sunroom. I'd like to eventually build an extra room on for the dogs so I could have my dining room back.

The key is to have your house and yard set up for multiple dogs, and to have a routine you stick to. If I wasn't actively breeding I would only have about 4 dogs total.

I can completely understand why ppl think owning this many dogs is a little crazy lol. It's a lifestyle choice. My life revolves around my dogs. Most of my free time is spent with the dogs, or cleaning up after them.

working is a doggy daycare helps too lol, I don't think I could do it if I worked a "normal" job! I take 4 at a time to work and people look at me all wide eyed when they see me leave with 4 dogs, they are always like "OMG are they ALL yours??!!" and I'm like "yup, -2" :laugh:

Yep having acerage helps, open the door and off they go into their 5 acre dog park

Yes OSS, a small acerage is my dream. Wouldn't it be heaven for the dogs & us :) Even 1 acre would be lovely. Somewhere for them to exercise in safety.

I currently have 11 which is down in numbers for me but I am enjoying it. I find it works as each dog has different wants, some live for cuddles. others love their exercise and 1 of them needs a job so that is my focus for them. Not all dogs are suited to being part of a pack and do need more one on one time so in that case I am forced to consider what is best for that individual dog and rehome but most love being part of the gang. Yes they don't get as much of my attention as they would if I only had 1 or 2 dogs but they have an entire houseful of friends here and for the most part they have a ball

We have 9 here at the moment and will keep 2 out of this litter (due in 2 weeks), taking us to 11. They all live in a 3 bedroom house with us and are entirely indoor dogs (other than supervised toilet breaks and enclosed veranda time in nice weather). They hang about in the loungeroom with us, sleep in the beds (or under them as the case may be), and generally just cruise about.

We do have crates and pens set up around the place though so that if need be they can put away if they are annoying others etc, particular given that the young ones are quite boisterous and the older guys not so tolerant of the shennanigans :laugh: Everyone is either crated (bones) or put on individual beds in the loungeroom (wet food) at dinnertime and have to remain there for a few hours as we will not allow any play etc with full bellies, plus it prevents issues at feed time.

The key to large numbers of dogs is routine and sticking to it. Ours know the routine very well and know the boundaries, right down to the order that they are usually put out to toilet :) They will wait at the gate into the kitchen until the dog before them returns up the stairs :laugh:

Our ages currently range from 2yrs -13.5yrs with 2 pups to be added soon.

OMG ! Hats off to you Delta Charlie. I think your amazing. 9 dogs & all the training yours would have, cause I think you do Agility/flyball from memory. I am flat out with 2 much loved pet BC's LOL. I struggle getting basic one on one training done. What your secret?? :)

Yep, our main issue is finding time to actually compete with them in the different sports, the training part is easy to find time for as we enjoy doing it :) The 2 little ones (eldest in the pack) don't really do much in terms of training these days, although if we have the fitball out they get to have a turn :D Sometimes I will teach them little tricks for something to do if I'm bored :laugh: They both actively competed in agility, Brooks until a few years ago and Jaz until she had patella ops on her knees.

We currently have 7 border collies trialling in agility and 4 competing in flyball (Delta and Dash are recently retired, Whip is still in training). We also have a few who are ready to compete in DWD if we had the inclination to do it, 3 who could enter an obedience trial tomorrow if we wanted to (and a few who are partway trained to novice level), and 5 who are ready to trial in Rally-O and probably will once this next litter is over and we have a spare weekend :laugh:

We also travel to a 3-sheep trainer when we have a spare weekend, and plan on dedicating much more time to sheepwork with the next pups.

I think the secret for us is 1. we enjoy doing it and our lives revolve around the dogs, which we are perfectly ok with and 2. We have all the gear we need at home (except sheep) so don't need to rely on fitting in with club trainings and weather conditions. We do attend club training for agility when we can, just with the young pups so that they get used to the distractions etc, but they are also trained at home.

I have five

10 Year old female standard poodle

9 year old male standard poodle

9 year old male Jack Russell

8 year old female toy poodle

2 year old male Newfoundland plus a 10 year old persian cat so its a very busy house but I love it. We have a kiddy gate to stop them having the run of the house but they do have 24/7 access to my family room. The Newf is more work then the rest put together :thumbsup:

Delta Charlie, thanks for your detailed insight on how you manage to do what you do & do it so well :)

I am very passionate with my guys too & love them to bits. I am also probably way too critical of myself at times. But am hoping with experience I will gain more confidence.

I know both mine dogs are very happy, content & most times they are very well behaved. And are the very best of friends. So really what more could I ask for. Just need to fine tune my individual training time & I 'll be wrapped :)

Know I have said 2 dogs are more than enough for me but in truth maybe oneday I will get another BC. They are just so addictive. Adore them :)

Edited by BC Crazy