Things That My Dogs Do To Cheer Me Up... Or Not

W Sibs

Emmy, the air head ditz, and Skeeter, the Samoyed pup who has yet grown any brain cells, means well when they try to cheer me up. Really they do...

When I'm feeling sad, Emmy will come and give me cuddles or in most cases she makes you cuddle her. She mirrors my emotions, so if I'm sad then she is sad, so I end up comforting her because I made her sad. Whereas Skeeter doesn't believe in sad, so he will jump on me and hold me down while he gives me kisses (he is 23kgs and is a big puppy) because Skeeter kisses makes everything better and if that doesn't work, he will hit me with a toy because instead of being sad, I should play with him. Playing is always happy time. I wouldn't complain if the toy was one of those soft plush toys but it's usually the hard rubber toys or a thick tug toy rope toy that leave bruises and bumps.

I confess that sometimes when I want to have a good cry, I go hide from them or else I'll get attacked by the 2 white fluffies :o :laugh: I love them, I will be a mess and lost without either one of them.

What does you dogs do to cheer you up (or not)?

Edited by W Sibs

Stussy (sbt) was a rescue and even as a pup she was very intuned to me. If I was having a bad day she hop onto the bed and give me her favourite toy of the moment. I figured she thought it cheered her up so it had to cheer me up too! Even though she doesn't bring me toys anymore if I'm sick (or in bed having one of those days) she doesn't leave my side and spoons me whatever position I move into. And she never, ever goes silly on the bed unless she is absolutely sure I am fully awake and ready to get up. How does she know the difference to when I'm awake but grumpy and not wanting to get up? On those days she just snuggles closer!

Our new little pei girl Tempeh seems to have picked up some of the same vibes. When I shattered my wrist I never had any problems with Miss Crazy getting too rough with me, even though there was a lovely photo taken the day after of her actually sitting on top of my doped out carcass! :eek: She loves attention and my bed is regularly full of sticks and toys (and my sister's dirty clothes and shoes) that she has left me so we can play together! The main difference though is when she is awake she expects everyone else to be as well! She will jump on the bed and nibble on body parts and talk and do body wiggles until you notice her. She also likes to get a drink first thing in the morning and come and dribble it from her chubby chops all over you!

What's not to love?

It doesn't matter what sort of s..t day I've had at work, when I pull up the drive way in my car, my two meet me as if I am at the very least, the Second Coming reincarnate. Lifts my spirits no end!

I get the exact same reaction....when I get back from the letterbox :laugh:

It doesn't matter what sort of s..t day I've had at work, when I pull up the drive way in my car, my two meet me as if I am at the very least, the Second Coming reincarnate. Lifts my spirits no end!

Same :laugh:

that's showing off..now I feel very inadequate :)

Or from the bathroom, or the kitchen, or if I leave any room and return :laugh:

Nah, mine will follow me around the house.. i can't go to the bathroom without supervision. there is no lock in the bathroom either so Skeeter will just barge himself in..

No such thing as bathrrom or toilet privacy in my house either. Toilet = captive human - = fusses and cuddles. And Rory always camps just outside the bathroom door so I can't escape when I'm in the shower - and he comes in and checks every noa and then to make sure I'm still there :laugh:

Whereas Skeeter doesn't believe in sad, so he will jump on me and hold me down while he gives me kisses (he is 23kgs and is a big puppy) because Skeeter kisses makes everything better and if that doesn't work, he will hit me with a toy because instead of being sad, I should play with him. Playing is always happy time. I wouldn't complain if the toy was one of those soft plush toys but it's usually the hard rubber toys or a thick tug toy rope toy that leave bruises and bumps.

This made me :rofl: - could just imagine. :)

Rory worries aobut wounds - anything that's sore, especially if it's bleeding, gets special attention. Cat had a UTI recently, and Dr Rory was almost permanently attached to her rear end. Luckily she loves her BCs :D .

ETA - thanks for taking te time to start this thread W.Sibs. Can imagine your house is feeling a bit empty without your darling Charlie. But I reckon he's still keeping an eye on you.

Edited by Tassie

LOL. Barney is like Skeeter. Attacks you with kisses and toys. Or will woooooooo until you say something or cuddle him.

This has made me realise that he doesn't supervise me on the toilet anymore (yay!) But he still has to sit right outside the shower door and then give you evils if you dare accidentally get water on him... OH calls him a pervert when he follows him to the shower :D.

If I fall over and hurt myself I get 25kg of "help" hurled at me.

Zeddy has that special healing saliva, so she licks any sores I have and makes them heal faster.

Trouble will sit and just stare at me with a blank eyed stare - whether I'm happy or sad... or watching TV... etc...

Pickles doesn't like her Mummy being sad, so she just settles down near me to give support quietly.

Harper has no clue there is an entire universe outside of her own needs and wants... but she's only 6 months old... I reckon she'll work it out eventually.

T.

I confess that sometimes when I want to have a good cry, I go hide from them or else I'll get attacked by the 2 white fluffies :o :laugh: I love them, I will be a mess and lost without either one of them.

It is very hard when you lose a dog in a multi dog household because you have to keep up a front for them. On the other hand, even in the deepest sorrow, they can make you laugh. And you have to look after them.

As Tassie said, W Sibs. You are doing it tough at the moment, but willing to share your experience with others means a lot.

I love love love that description, Pollywaffle. I will probably use it at some stage and pretend it is all my own work :D

I have a side gate at which my tribe will be congregated when I return home, but I have to go only to the letter box or pull a weed or two and Danny will be pressed up against it waiting for his "Goddess" [ :D :D ] to return.

If Honey hears one of the kids crying, she races to them with a very concerned look on her face & insists on putting her muzzle on their lap- she won't take no for an answer. In fact, she'd try to get her whole body on their lap if they let her!! :laugh:

It's funny how anxious she gets- its almost like she is thinking "oh no!! The babies!!!". It's lovely, nothing like fluffy cuddles when you are sad. :o

With me she is much calmer if I'm upset- same muzzle treatment though!