Push To End Life Time Registration In Nsw

Pjrt

How much is lifetime rego?

$40 for desexed animals or entire animals owned by a dogs NSW member

$150 for an entire animal.

I really cant see how yearly rego will change anything- the same people will register their dogs, the same people wont.

For non members of Dogs N.S.W its $150.

$350. for an Entire dog.

Pensioners get registration reduced to $15. unless its an entire,in which case they pay the full $350.

it used to vary from council to council,but sounds like thats no longer the case?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you start to put costs on which just appear out of the blue - yearly licence fees for anyone who breeds a litter and yearly registration fees when they have had life time for even pet dogs its a disaster waiting to happen. Then on top of it they want breeders inspected before they get a licence, inspected each year to be sure they are able to renew their licence and at any given time things can change. Prices can go up and compliance issues are created and altered and ramped up - they literally blow people who breed dogs as a hobby out of the water.

What on earth are they thinking - this will see more dogs not claimed ,it will see dodgy breeders go under ground and encourage more bigger and bigger kennels, breeding more and more puppies to cover their expenses. How on earth do they think this will cut down kill rates?

When will they work out that what is best for the owners is what is best for the dogs and remember to consider the humans involved in this and how what they push for impacts on their ability to care for the animals they see as family.

I really cant see how yearly rego will change anything- the same people will register their dogs, the same people wont.

$350. for an Entire dog.

Pensioners get registration reduced to $15. unless its an entire,in which case they pay the full $350.

it used to vary from council to council,but sounds like thats no longer the case?

It hasnt varied from council to council for years in NSW - its state wide law and costs are fixed.

How's about they just police what they currently have and start handing out fine for those who don not register and do not keep details current under the system we already have. That should raise plenty of revenue.

Why would they do that? That would be sensible.

A large part of the problem is the divisions in the "dog world".

I can't see an end to this sort of mentality (increasing legislation for dog ownership and breeding)until all groups are united under one umbrella organisation who can promote common,community goals,educated decisions, responsibility and research.

As long as people prefer to point the finger at others... The term pi****** into the wind comes to mind.

No amount of legislation is going to teach communities how to adapt dogs into the modern world. Only a community effort can do that. As it is,there is no "community" of dog enthusiasts. Just judgement and agendas.

Thanks for clarfying that, Steve. So the discount is based on the p/b dog's owner being a member of the state's kennel association.

I was hoping it might apply to p/b dogs that were registered with the state's kennel association so it'd cover dogs bought by pet owners from registered breeders.

Agree with you, it'll particularly hit people who bought more than one dog thinking they'd only have to pay the double fee once.

Hard to follow the logic except they're hoping to get more money from the dog owners who'll always register their dogs, no matter what.

As others have said .... punishing the people who do the right thing.

This in itself is part of the problem though I dont want to moan about it too much because if it changes we will all suffer. But many people are Vicdogs members who dont own a purebred and who breed cross breeds and designer dogs. They join because it gives them the exemptions. Some in NSW do the same but no where near as many as Victoria as it is a lifetime rego and no permits or licences and the risk of that happening here are lessened more now there is a choice of groups they can belong to in order to get the exemptions. So commercial breeders get the same rego exemptions in NSW if they are members of the AAPDB as any Dogs NSW member or MDBA member.

Reality is there are always un intended consequences and you cant just assume anything will simply be bought in and the rot will magically disappear without killing of the good stuff too. .

$350. for an Entire dog.

It hasnt varied from council to council for years in NSW - its state wide law and costs are fixed.

Nope here is the link- max you pay is $150 for an entire dog

http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlghome/dlg_InformationIndex.asp?mi=9&ml=1&areaindex=CA&index=302#howmuchwillitcosttoregistermycatordog

My grandfather as a pensioner paid 50c to register his dog/yr back in the early 1990's in Bankstown. Doubt yearly rego would be that cheap anymore even for pensioners if they brought it back in.

Edited by Jumabaar

$350. for an Entire dog.

http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlghome/dlg_InformationIndex.asp?mi=9&ml=1&areaindex=CA&index=302#howmuchwillitcosttoregistermycatordog

My grandfather as a pensioner paid 50c to register his dog/yr back in the early 1990's in Bankstown. Doubt yearly rego would be that cheap anymore even for pensioners if they brought it back in.

Most recent registration was charged $350.!

Edited by moosmum

How's about they just police what they currently have and start handing out fine for those who don not register and do not keep details current under the system we already have. That should raise plenty of revenue.

I can't see an end to this sort of mentality (increasing legislation for dog ownership and breeding)until all groups are united under one umbrella organisation who can promote common,community goals,educated decisions, responsibility and research.

As long as people prefer to point the finger at others... The term pi****** into the wind comes to mind.

No amount of legislation is going to teach communities how to adapt dogs into the modern world. Only a community effort can do that. As it is,there is no "community" of dog enthusiasts. Just judgement and agendas.

Crap you have 2 charities which get our taxpayer dollars to push for laws and police us.To advertise employ people and answer to no one. There is no way any organisation can compete with their PR machine and their budgets. most of what people have swallowed hook line and sinker about what is a good breeder etc is based on what they have been feeding them not science, not what is best for the dogs or the breeders and we dont have the money, the resources or the courage to mount a counter attack .

Whats more my only agenda is advocating what is best for the dogs . What is best for dogs isn't ensuring people can no longer afford to keep them or running small breeders out of town regardless of who they are judging or what their agenda is.

$350. for an Entire dog.

http://www.dlg.nsw.g...istermycatordog

What shire? The fees are set at state level.

$350. for an Entire dog.

Cost for an entire dog is $150.00. Desexed dog $40.00. Desexed dog owned by a pensioner $15.00 A member of DogsNSW only pays $40.00 for an entire. Working dog or assisstance dog $0.00

This is set in state legislation according to:

City Of Sydney Council website (updated Feb 13 2013)

The Blacktown Council website.

Orange City Council

Division of Local Government

Don't know where the hell the figure of $350.00 comes from.

Crap you have 2 charities which get our taxpayer dollars to push for laws and police us.To advertise employ people and answer to no one. There is no way any organisation can compete with their PR machine and their budgets. most of what people have swallowed hook line and sinker about what is a good breeder etc is based on what they have been feeding them not science, not what is best for the dogs or the breeders and we dont have the money, the resources or the courage to mount a counter attack .

Whats more my only agenda is advocating what is best for the dogs . What is best for dogs isn't ensuring people can no longer afford to keep them or running small breeders out of town regardless of who they are judging or what their agenda is.

I trust it is your only agenda,and I'm not contesting that.But pedigree breeders are not just up against the charities and their P.R. You are also up against the P.R from the commercial breeders,the D.D "Hybrid Vigour " spin,then theres working dog Vs show dog,Animal Rights,Farmers,racing greys,service dogs ....On and on.

Your average dog owner is at the mercy of who ever gets their attention 1st.

None are perfect.There will always be an attrocity to found,and the way things are divided,it will always be attributed to a particular group who will be the target of new legislation.

Its not a healthy balance that gets attention.

If the same efforts were expended promoting facts,general knowledge,what is good practice and why,as is being expended on public outrage? There might be a better outcome.

Only thing is that it rakes in more money.... from those people who register their dogs no matter what. And whose dogs are less likely to contribute to council animal management problems.

In Brisbane, it's getting close to $40 to register each of my small dogs, every year. I'd love a lifetime registration of a once only payment of $40.

$350. for an Entire dog.

Where were you charged $350? And for one dog?

Legislation has them set as above, each council can't charge what they want.

$350. for an Entire dog.

Where were you charged $350? And for one dog?

Legislation has them set as above, each council can't charge what they want.

Yes, I was charged $350. for one dog. It was a few years ago. I was told it was to encourage desexing. the dog was speyed a couple years later. I should have asked for a refund :laugh:

Not a price to encourage registration.I will be calling to find out more now.

Edited by moosmum

One good thing I can see with yearly rego is right now, people think that a chip and a lifetime rego magically follows them around as they move or the pet gets given to new owners. I often hear 'my pet is chipped why can't we find him! Why didn't the pound contact me?' but the details on the chip are nil or out of date.

Yearly updates via rego would hopefully keep the dogs/cats more trackable. At least for the people who follow it up.

Not sure how they would keep the costs at a reasonable rate or find council staff the extra time to faff around with processing but that could be hidden in the discussion paper somewhere.

We have to fill out stock returns annually to say how much stock we have (ok that is a different body to the local councils). We get a rates notice sent to us annually though. Wondering if it is so hard for them to send out an 'update your dogs microchip details' etc reminder in the same envelope...

I don't like the idea of lifetime registration. Just doesn't seem to make sense to me and yes T, no incentive to desex once registered.

Compared to the Sunshine Coast council though the lifetime fees work out very cheap.

I pay $12 each for Mya and Jenna (desexed) Yearly and $116 a year for Luka (entire) I intend to desex Luka before the registration renewal date but did not want to desex him at 6 months to get the reduced fees then. I can imagine if people didn't have that deadline they may just 'not bother' with the desexing.

Changing over from lifetime to yearly could be a nightmare though. Will it just be new registrations? Doesn't seem fair if you have paid for lifetime and then they expect you to start paying every year.

Under the proposal, the yearly fees would be cheaper for owners of desexed animals bought from a pound or shelter.

Awesome. So the proposal is to penalise anyone who buys from a registered breeder? My dogs came from registered breeders, and are all desexed. Where in gods name does this make sense? More sabre rattling. Just encourages people not to register their pets at all with this kind of ridiculous, clearly irrational proposition. How about working with what they have already rather than shove this crap down peoples throats. It WONT stop back yard breeding or dog attacks. Bloody idiots.

I did hear about this recently. The real reason behind it, we were told, to increase income pure and simple. Apparently the number crunchers worked out available income would be higher if those who DO register paid yearly instead of the lifetime single payment.

Those who dont now , wont be anyway.

Its not going to worry them,never has.

As for reducing banned breeds, my vet said its illegal to have a entire pitty? yet guess what turned up for vaccinating, 12 pittie puppies, cute as paint.

He also said you cant take one for walks without a designated collar and a muzzle?

Yesterday I was in Parramatta picking up some chooks and a lady walking by had two you guessed it and the sight of the chooks was almost too much for them. She was terrifed trying to hold them and we shoved our chooks out of sight and slammed the door fast as we could, very scarey almost disaster. They had already dragged her halfway towards us before we removed their point of interest. Gee they are strong when intent on something, never seen a pitty up close and personal before, scared the daylights out of OH and me.

A friend is going out with a chap who recently had to have both his pitties put down, was out walking and a loose dog ran at his on leash dogs, his dogs, still on leash but it ran at them and they grabbed it, killed it and the police made him have them put down. I thought long as a dog is on leash its the loose dog at fault. Although now having seen a pair ready to attack was not a nice sight. Ive never been afraid of german shepherds, rotties, dobes or cattle dogs but that pair even had my OH moving as fast as he could to avoid giving them any reason to come any closer to us.

Edited by inez