Breeding And Rescuing

mixeduppup

Apparently, according to some PETA advocate I can't rescue and breed at the same time, because me breeding working kelpies has a direct affect on bull breeds and how many are in the pounds :mad

Do you guys come across this a lot? People thinking your responsible and ethical breeding is somehow adding to the shelter dog population?

Will they never get it? I've also been yelled at recently for buying a dog from a reg breeder instead of rescuing a working dog from the pound. No matter how much I explained about buying a dog with certain lines and traits bred in versus adopting a unknown quantity, it didn't seem to sink it.

Just a bit sick of it.

Sorry for the rant but have had a horrible day and this just added the cherry to the top

Edited by mixeduppup

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously those in their right mind can ascertain that there is absolutely no correlation between reputable breeders and the amount of dogs in pounds...

If it was a PETA group, you are better off without them.. They are all crackpots.

Obviously those in their right mind can ascertain that there is absolutely no correlation between reputable breeders and the amount of dogs in pounds...

If it was a PETA group, you are better off without them.. They are all crackpots.

Yeah, I joined as it looked OK and forgot I'd joined and commented on a rescue thing and then the claws came out. PETA hides everywhere, they seem like regular people at first. :(

I was called all sorts of unsavoury things because I don't believe in mandatory de-sexing. Their point of view is if you didn't believe in mandatory de-sexing then you were part of the over population problem and contributed to animals being killed in pounds.

Despite the fact that all our pets are de-sexed (or soon to be) recycled pets.

Go Figure.

Then there was the time an Oscar's Law advocate accused me of being against them because I wanted to know what I was actually signing before I signed it.

I just wanted to know what exactly was in their proposed legislation. I'm not supporting anything unless I know what the heck it is I'm putting my name to. Is that so bad?

Haha, PETA and regular people really don't belong in the same sentence :rofl:

Your point is extremely valid!

My friend joined the group, wrote "dogs are delicious" and promptly got deleted. Apparently that was his form of support. :laugh:

Then there was the time an Oscar's Law advocate accused me of being against them because I wanted to know what I was actually signing before I signed it.

I just wanted to know what exactly was in their proposed legislation. I'm not supporting anything unless I know what the heck it is I'm putting my name to. Is that so bad?

Don't know much about that. Aren't they in full support of banning petshops from selling all animals, even goldfish? Or is that another group?

Bred on the left, rescued on the right and to be honest, I didn't see a whole lot of hands up willing to take my latest rescue on.

There are a lot of responsible breeders out there, who have never had a dog they have bred end up in a pound and have always taken back any dog they have bred that finds itself without a home. These are the same people that seem to give back to their breed, by taking in rescues, when it's not them who have bred the unwanted dogs.

Screw you peta, I breed and I rescue.

post-4363-0-26084900-1364901361_thumb.jpg

post-4363-0-67527300-1364901597_thumb.jpg

Don't know much about that. Aren't they in full support of banning petshops from selling all animals, even goldfish? Or is that another group?

I still don't know! They wouldn't answer my questions, just got all huffy and angry and stormed off. Their petition had nothing on it to indicate what was actually written within their 'Oscar's Law' proposal. Just that you supported Oscar's Law. Couldn't even tell me where I could go to find out what it actually entailed. They had websites, but I couldn't find a thing that looked like a piece of proposed legislation, just a whole lot of stuff about the evils of puppy farms. And nothing to differentiate between a puppy farm and a responsible breeder.

They might have something now...I don't know, haven't looked any further.

That's right. I didn't bother telling them that I also own rescued working dogs. I do all I can in my community with every breed of dog I come across that needs help and I have to say I rarely see a working kelpie in my local pound that doesn't get reclaimed or adopted pretty much immediately. They have such a narrow view of the world. It saddens me.

I still don't know! They wouldn't answer my questions, just got all huffy and angry and stormed off. Their petition had nothing on it to indicate what was actually written within their 'Oscar's Law' proposal. Just that you supported Oscar's Law. Couldn't even tell me where I could go to find out what it actually entailed. They had websites, but I couldn't find a thing that looked like a piece of proposed legislation, just a whole lot of stuff about the evils of puppy farms. And nothing to differentiate between a puppy farm and a responsible breeder.

I've been warned off Oscar's law by many people I trust. I've decided not to touch it.

I've been warned off Oscar's law by many people I trust. I've decided not to touch it.

I don't think I'll be going there either. It all seems a little too murky and 'foot in the door-ish' for more restrictive, draconian laws to 'slip' in there.

I'm in the same boat. I refuse to support something that the organisation refuse to give details on.

When our local SPCA rescued a lot of in whelp bitchs from a local puppy mill I offered to foster a couple for them but was refused on the basis that I was a breeder and had other entire dogs. I can't see how that decision was for the benefit of those poor dogs which were left to whelp unattended in kennels surrounded by other dogs instead of tucked away safely in my purpose built facilities

Haha, PETA and regular people really don't belong in the same sentence :rofl:

Let me correct you Staffyluv Pets and regular people really don't belong on the same planet. :laugh: :thumbsup:

Nice to see so many aware about Oscars Law. :thumbsup:

Honestly, I don't think you can ever win when you're up against crazy.

For example, I rescue (don't breed) and was told that because I sell dogs (i.e adopt them out), that I'm in the animal exploitation business and am therefore a murderer :laugh:

If I were you, MUP, I'd not worry too much about it.

Having said that, I believe there have been cases of rescuers breeding rescue dogs and selling the pups and that is the lowest of the low.