Breeding And Rescuing

mixeduppup

Facebook s full of easily offended people, sometimes it wouldn't matter if your the Dali lama or mother Theresa they will hate you and take offence.

Just e delete block and feel sad they won't have enough to help with their rescue cause. :cry:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I don't think you can ever win when you're up against crazy.

For example, I rescue (don't breed) and was told that because I sell dogs (i.e adopt them out), that I'm in the animal exploitation business and am therefore a murderer :laugh:

If I were you, MUP, I'd not worry too much about it.

Having said that, I believe there have been cases of rescuers breeding rescue dogs and selling the pups and that is the lowest of the low.

I met someone who rescued an 'oodle' from the pound and was so against puppy farming and then went and bred this dog! I've never come across a rescue that does it but I'm sure they're out there.

And then you get the other end of the spectrum where people cry out that unless you rescue, you shouldn't breed.

Seems one of those times you can't win!

What's wrong with expecting breeders to be involved or support the rescuing of their breed either by themselves or by fully supporting the branch of their club who manages it.

Many breed specific are underwritten by a club. Then you've got breeders who do it on their own because they love their breed and want to make sure they are safe. Sorry but you put a breed out there, you have a responsibility.

Nothing wrong with expecting them to take their own dogs back either.

I don't think you should be rescuing at all. This isn't based on your breeding practices at all because I know nothing about them. It's based on a dog having to be rescued from you.

Ummm... I think you'll find that the dog in question was pts by the people who "rescued" him from MUP... turns out that MUP was quite right in her summation of said dog and that he needed to be given his wings, but the "professionals" decided that as MUP was new to the game, they knew better and made a big deal of taking him on - and eventually had him destroyed anyways.

So maybe we need to give MUP the benefit of the doubt on this issue, yes?

T.

I don't think you should be rescuing at all. This isn't based on your breeding practices at all because I know nothing about them. It's based on a dog having to be rescued from you.

Ummm... I think you'll find that the dog in question was pts by the people who "rescued" him from MUP... turns out that MUP was quite right in her summation of said dog and that he needed to be given his wings, but the "professionals" decided that as MUP was new to the game, they knew better and made a big deal of taking him on - and eventually had him destroyed anyways.

T.

I am going on how she treated the dog while the dog was with her. I suggest you reacquaint yourself with the threads in question.

you want to really have an insight into the whole world of crazy - check out a charming group on facebook called IHDB - or I hate dog breeders - you will really see just how much whacko is out there, and how they cannot be reasoned with in any way. Even more frightening though is clicking on their list of likers, and seeing just how many Australian groups agree with the sentiments expressed by the AR terrorists on there, and how much they consider any means whatever are worth "rescuing" dogs from evil "greeders". Having had a friend whose home was broken into last night, and her stud cat removed, and was later found dead outside, either from road accident or dog attack, she was not certain, make no mistake, some whacks are certainly amongst us.

T.

I am going on how she treated the dog while the dog was with her. I suggest you reacquaint yourself with the threads in question.

We can all learn from the things we didn't do to everyone else's expectations Sheridan... and you have to agree that MUP has come a hell of a long way since that first foray into rescue...

T.

ETA - and the other rescue that took the dog from MUP didn't exactly treat him any better IMHO...

Edited by tdierikx

T.

We can all learn from the things we didn't do to everyone else's expectations Sheridan... and you have to agree that MUP has come a hell of a long way since that first foray into rescue...

T.

ETA - and the other rescue that took the dog from MUP didn't exactly treat him any better IMHO...

By "professionals" I hope you are not referring to Efowler. Emma is a very respected rescuer who went above and beyond to help this dog and at least give it a chance with someone who KNEW this particular breed. I like Sheridan remember the whole debacle clearly and if you don't as suggested the threads are there.

Edited by stans mum

you want to really have an insight into the whole world of crazy - check out a charming group on facebook called IHDB - or I hate dog breeders - you will really see just how much whacko is out there, and how they cannot be reasoned with in any way.

They've just given their intelligence quotient out of their own mouths. 'I hate dog breeders' is a generalisation which covers a huge range of diverse people doing different things that affect dog welfare differently. . It's also based on their emotions not on any reasoning, with evidence. So you're dead right when you say they can't be reasoned with in any way. This is what extremism looks like.

Apparently, according to some PETA advocate I can't rescue and breed at the same time, because me breeding working kelpies has a direct affect on bull breeds and how many are in the pounds :mad

Do you guys come across this a lot? People thinking your responsible and ethical breeding is somehow adding to the shelter dog population?

Will they never get it? I've also been yelled at recently for buying a dog from a reg breeder instead of rescuing a working dog from the pound. No matter how much I explained about buying a dog with certain lines and traits bred in versus adopting a unknown quantity, it didn't seem to sink it.

Just a bit sick of it.

Sorry for the rant but have had a horrible day and this just added the cherry to the top

yep - I get it all the time, and it's very frustrating. How my interests must be crossed because I do both. It can get very frustrating sometimes!

Yep is simply amazing how many people I know in the dog world who have multiple rescues of mixed breeds who use to talk to me until I got a pedigree dog and started showing her :eek: Suddenly I had leprosy apparently, and my donations of dog blankets, toys and food were no longer needed. :(

Edited by zeebie

Yep is simply amazing how many people I know in the dog world who have multiple rescues of mixed breeds who use to talk to me until I got a pedigree dog and started showing her :eek: Suddenly I had leprosy apparently, and my donations of dog blankets, toys and food were no longer needed. :(

Tell those folk, if you can ever get them to speak to you again :) , that there's scientific evidence that registered breeders of purebreds are more likely to prevent the dumping of dogs.

They tend to socialize their dogs well (& so prevent 'dumpable' behaviours developing) & they tend to have good control over numbers of litters.

Supporting 'good' registered breeders is as valuable in promoting dog welfare as is supporting those who rescue and adopt homeless dogs. They're not in opposition .... they're dealing with two different ends of the homeless dog problem.

It's a sign of intelligence to be able to keep two ideas in the head at the same time. Tell those folk that, too.

Edited by mita

That is so depressing.

:eek: omg how very dare you.

:rofl:

Well - I'm just the biggest dog fan ever. I really am not fussed whether they be from great lines, or just regular run-of-the-mill mutts... I'm up for cuddling them ALL!

T.

ETA - I currently have 10 rescue foster puppies at home, but that didn't stop me going to the Sydney Royal to cheer on my friend's 2 purebreds... and we weren't disappointed... *grin*

Edited by tdierikx

There's heaps of advice and opinon on the internet about dogs and most of it is emotive and uninformed.

The simple answer to any question of ethics is to seek guidance from those who actually know what they're talking about and few internet sites will assist there.

No point in expecting anything different. :shrug:

I recently unliked a facebook page that I thought could be quite informative ie about some of the dodgy law suits Monsanto have started. But when every second post from them was about some flim flam unscientific mumbo jumbo popular with con artists - I unfriended them.

Frustrating much. My usual response to the extreme PETA types is that the best thing for this planet - based on their philosophy - would be no humans. Starting with them. Is that what they're really asking for?

Personally, I seek a balance somewhere between living the good life and not wasting the planet's resources faster than they can be replaced.