Looking For A Rescue

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine as asked me to look around for a pup for them simply because they dont know what to look for.

My first suggestion is rescue and they are not ruling out that idea, but it must be small and cute :S I own large dogs and the only small breed dog I think is hell cute is a frenchie so I need some help.

They also dont want a high maintenance breed as it needs to be suited to an apartment for your average person who knows nothing more about dogs than they have 4 legs and need to eat and drink and be loved so peoples suggestions of 1. small breeds and 2. rescue places in QLD would be very much appreciated.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

I'm not liking the sound of that. They just want something low maintenance and small and cute! It will still need exercise, it's going to do its business in their courtyard if they have one, or in the apartment if they dont house train it and regularly take it out for toilet breaks. Even a low maintenance dog might be too much maintenance for them. Do they really understand what dog ownership is about?

What Kirislin said, at this stage I think a plush toy dog is sounding like the best option. I see a possibility for major behavioural issues with a dog that is owned by people who have no idea who seem idealistic and live in an apartment.

Edited by mixeduppup

It's all in the words folk, or lack of them.

All over the world, thousands of novice dog owners raise dogs in apartments. Provided that they do so with care and equip themselves with knowledge, apartment living is no reason to deny a new dog owner ownership. The key issues to think through are exercise, toileting and stimulation while the owners are at work

There is at least one book on raising dogs in apartments. I suggest your friends read up and select for quieter, low activity breeds. To be quite frank a French Bulldog isn't the silliest suggestion I can think of.

Option B, rather than a pup, is a mature dog. And dare I say it, a rescue Greyhound might fit the bill. You don't have to be small to fit in well to apartment life.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I think it is a bit harsh to be presuming major behavioural issues etc because they seem a bit naive. Many new dog owners are. They just need a "bombproof" dog - which means they need to be very careful if they choose a rescue dog. Maybe go for a dog in foster care whose behaviour can be observed as being suitable for their needs. Or perhaps they could offer to foster a little dog for a period of time to familiarise themselves with the realities of ownership? Who knows they may turn out to be wonderful owners - and many dogs adapt to apartment living just fine.

I think it is a bit harsh to be presuming major behavioural issues etc because they seem a bit naive. Many new dog owners are. They just need a "bombproof" dog - which means they need to be very careful if they choose a rescue dog. Maybe go for a dog in foster care whose behaviour can be observed as being suitable for their needs. Or perhaps they could offer to foster a little dog for a period of time to familiarise themselves with the realities of ownership? Who knows they may turn out to be wonderful owners - and many dogs adapt to apartment living just fine.

Changed it to possibility for behavioural issues. I was being unfair. :)

Edited by mixeduppup

My thoughts as well - although I didn't like the sound of this from a 'I want a small cute fluffy dog ' perspective - it may turn out OK with an apartment suitable bomb-proof dog. Met a beautiful GAP grey at the dog park last weekend. He was absolutely bomb-proof - a grey would be ideal IMO.

BTW I had a similar thing at an off-site work meeting last Thursday morning - we were early and the topic of 'pugaleirs' came up -'so cute but I want a little one not a big chunky one' (Where's rolly eyes when you need him??) - anyway you can imagine how the conversation went. So I couldn't help myself (yeah I know!!) I jumped in and said 'you can't choose like that - if you buy a crossbreed puppy you play the genetic lottery and get what you get'. If you want certainty get a pug x cav from the pound or a pure-breed. Under the guise of sharing 'baby' photos, I then of course handed over my beautiful photo on my phone of my westie Sarah!!

I'm hoping I at least made her stop and think. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

I should clarify my reservations about it. It might work, but I think these people need to do their own research and have a clear understanding of what owning a dog might entail, the good and bad.

Pounds are full of dogs who didn't live up to the owners expectations.

Edited by Kirislin

It depends a bit on what type of people they are too, apartments work best if they are the type who can stick to a routine come hail or shine. If they are more inclined to have a sleep-in than get up and go for a walk, they probably need to think harder about it. I have European friends who succesfully keep large, fairly energetic, dogs in apartments but they are very organised about it.

Edited because I confused my thens and thans, which just won't do :)

Edited by Diva

Toileting is the major issue in an apartment and barking from lack of stimulation.

Best if they get an apartment where the dog can get out and pick a dog that will reliably cope with this so a dog in foster care with experienced rescuers who assess suitability OR have a dog that has been surrendered from exactly the same scenario.

TCM

I hope you're educating them as fast as you can, so they're ready. Because if they get their cute puppy and they're not prepared for all that goes with a puppy, they're going to blame you for choosing the wrong kind of puppy - when all puppies need guidance and a vigilant eye for toilet time.

I'd point them at dog star daily - before you get your puppy so they can start doing a bit of reading up.

It's good they're asking an experienced person to help - so make sure they know it's a bit like having a baby, their life will be different when they've got a puppy.

petrescue has a puppy search by state - so that might be a good place to start. Sometimes they have JRT puppies and sometimes they get a heap in from a raided puppy mill. But if your would be puppy owners want "bomb proof" it might be easier to go to a breeder whose dog temperanments are known and reliable, or a mature dog.

I think a cavalier KCS might be a good place to start - as far as I know - they're not known for needing heaps of exercise, and they're not usually big time destructo dogs either. So that would make things a little easier. Pugs are prone to eating what they should not - like garden pebbles.

A well known & respected American dog trainer/behaviourist, Brian Kilcommons, wrote a book called Metro Dog because so many people in cities like New York live in apartments & own dogs.

He set out what potential owners would have to think through .... then how to manage living in an apartment with a dog so all goes as well as possible.

He's summarized it, on this page.

http://www.greatpets.com/corporate/our-businesses/gp-publishing/metro-dog/

I found the full book Metro Dog in my local council library.

Full title:

Metrodog: A Guide to Raising Your Dog in the City

by Brian Kilcommons & Sarah Wilson

Also from that website, seems Brian K visited Australia last year.

Click on Home on that website to get an idea who he is.

Edited by mita

I haven't read everyones posts yet but he has raised two dogs well before this will be his gf first dog, i have made sure body corporate approval was given before he asked me to look, and that if they part ways the dog will be in his care they know enough as your average person of course it will be walked but they are not like people on this forum who have above average knowledge of dogs thanks again in advanced...p.s just found out small fluffy isn't what they are after he said maybe a toy poodle or cav

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

Mita - that metro dog article is great.

I liked this bit best...

The rescue/draft dogs (Newfoundlands, Saint Bernards, etc.) can actually work surprisingly well as Metrodogs if you have room for them in your home. They are something like a walking couch that sheds, drools, and needs long daily walks.

Toy poodles, in my experience, need a lot of entertainment. I knew one who would Houdini his way out of the most secure enclosure and take himself for long walks (hours) around the neighbourhood. It's the sort of thing you have to warn your friends about if they offer to dog sit your cute poodle.

I think before they start they need to work out what coat they will manage best.

Poodles need professional grooming every 6 weeks. I wouldn't put a poodle into this home as they can be prone to separation anxiety - I just rescued a poodle and he's a noisy little guy ... (I do have other poodle experience).

Do they want wiry / short easy care coat but probably shedding / fluffy - Malt etc.

Once that is determined, then they can start looking.

I agree, Mrs RB. He really challenges the blanket rule that people should go for small dogs only in apartment life. He points out that some of the larger breeds actually have a lower activity level in their maturity. i love that phrase 'a walking couch' .... just how many folk describe their pet greyhounds. :)

If you can ever get your hands on the whole book, it's a great read. With lots of the tips applying to pet dog ownership... where ever you live.

Guest donatella

A little Chi might be up their alley. They are low maintenance, cute, small etc. Loyal little buggers too!

He really challenges the blanket rule that people should go for small dogs only in apartment life.

I wish there could be more of this. A little dog could be around an apartment 20 times while a big dog could still be contemplating whether to disturb himself or not.

Of course, they have to consider their decorating preferences and not be fans of small tables covered in photos and ornaments. :laugh:

Edited by Danny's Darling

Guest donatella

The problem often is not the owner wanting small dogs in apartments it is either the lessor if they rent or the people that own the apartment block (what are they called? I've had a brain fart) putting stipulation on small dog only.

It is much easier to rent and get units/apartments with small dogs.

Edited by donatella