A Dog Killed

GSDowner

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dog attacks on other dogs or humans are becoming all to frequent :( 2 months ago an elderly lady in my area was walking her 2 small X breed dogs on her usual afternoon walk, a neighbour who lives at corner of her street arrived home from work allowing his 2 x breed (staffy X similar breed who knows) to exit his vehicle on the footpath, these 2 dogs immediately set upon the 2 small dogs by running across a main road to other path to get to them both were fatally injured within seconds of the attack, the elderly owner had a serious heart attack and was rushed to hospital, on return home she has not left her house and is severely traumatised.

There was an investigation and subsequently these dogs were declared "dangerous dogs" with all the trappings that goes with it, fence height, signs, restrictions etc etc. There is a court case pending not sure of details. But I would have thought the dogs would have been impounded in the interim, and they had to have had 3 strikes previously to incur the DD label.

Has it made any difference to the owners behaviour not in the least he still arrives home whenever allowing dogs to jump off back of ute and run up and down path, still allows them to run free on local oval, and seems, despite nurmerous complaints to council no one is able to intervene.

So while councils are busily running around having meetings and taking submissions to introduce fancy new regulations for dog breeders to comply with, nothing seems to be happening on the other end of the spectrum about employing enough qulaified people to actually police rules set down regarding these types of situations, and dog registrations and caring for them etc. :cry:

How horrific for the owner and the poor little dog.

Having owned a dog that was both HA and DAt I know what a huge responsibility it it to keep the public safe from them. As much as I loved Spud was a huge load off my mind when he died at 13, to know he would never be a threat to anyone again. I will never own an aggressive dog again.

I would never have allowed a gap of any kind no matter how small in my fences. He was behind 7ft corrugated iron fencing plus it was dble gated to even get to the backyard. I hope this moron who owned the dog wises up before another dog (or worse) gets hurt.

How horrific for the owner and the poor little dog.

Having owned a dog that was both HA and DAt I know what a huge responsibility it it to keep the public safe from them. As much as I loved Spud was a huge load off my mind when he died at 13, to know he would never be a threat to anyone again. I will never own an aggressive dog again.

I would never have allowed a gap of any kind no matter how small in my fences. He was behind 7ft corrugated iron fencing plus it was dble gated to even get to the backyard. I hope this moron who owned the dog wises up before another dog (or worse) gets hurt.

This dog may not be DA though. I know that might sound crazy to some people considering the injury to the lite dog, but many many dogs are VERY territorial about their fenceline but fine when off the property. The owner may not have known or realised that the dog would take it's role as protector of the property so seriously in this context.

Obviously he does now and if the gap is still there it's very disappointing that the owner hasn't now voluntarily taken extra precautions to prevent anything similar happening again.

This dog may not be DA though. I know that might sound crazy to some people considering the injury to the lite dog, but many many dogs are VERY territorial about their fenceline but fine when off the property. The owner may not have known or realised that the dog would take it's role as protector of the property so seriously in this context.

Obviously he does now and if the gap is still there it's very disappointing that the owner hasn't now voluntarily taken extra precautions to prevent anything similar happening again.

The dog is DA. Territoriality is one possible reason for what motivates it. Trust me, if the dog bites half the head off another dog it IS seriously aggressive. Whether it would be aggressive off its own property is another matter.

But regardless of that, the dog is now a killer and should be managed so that it never gets another chance. It shouldn't have access to the front yard for a start but a DD declaration seems the very least that should happen IMO.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I agree the dog may not be DA, there is a slight chance it's highly territorial which is very different from outright dog aggression. And judging by that gap the poodle would have had to be pretty dang close to get that injured. I have no idea how or why this happened but i feel very sorry for the poor poodle and its owner. How terrible.

I agree the dog may not be DA, there is a slight chance it's highly territorial which is very different from outright dog aggression. And judging by that gap the poodle would have had to be pretty dang close to get that injured. I have no idea how or why this happened but i feel very sorry for the poor poodle and its owner. How terrible.

How is it different? Few , if any dogs are aggressive all the time. There are just different triggers for the aggression. How does a dog maim another dog if it's not "aggressive"?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

How is it different. Few , if any dogs are aggressive all the time. There are just different triggers for the aggression. How does a dog main another dog if its not "aggressive"?

She said she pulled it back which could have made the maiming much worse than what it actually was.

How is it different. Few , if any dogs are aggressive all the time. There are just different triggers for the aggression. How does a dog main another dog if its not "aggressive"?

She said she pulled it back which could have made the maiming much worse than what it actually was.

So what are you suggesting? Only serious injury indicates aggression? The poodle didn't accidentally end up in the dog's jaws did it?

So what are you suggesting? Only serious injury indicates aggression? The poodle didn't accidentally end up in the dog's jaws did it?

No I'm not suggesting that. I'm saying that whilst DA aggression is incredibly likely in this case it could also be Territorial Aggression which can mimic DA in certain ways, eg biting, barking etc. The main difference with TA Vs DA is that when the dog leaves its charge it is no longer TA, a DA will remain DA if removed from its territory. All aggression is dangerous but bite strength can vary depending and her pulling the poodle back may have increased the injury sustained. That was my point. Not defending the attacker at all and due to his aggressive tendencies (whatever they are) that gap should be fixed asap.

I don't think some people can grasp just how easily a dog can be degloved or scalped. It doesn't need to be a sustained or prolonged attack for it to occur and I've certainly seen it occur where the dog that caused the injury was not a bull breed.

It wasn't degloved. The nose was bitten off.

There is some real misunderstanding about aggression. Saying the dog is not aggressive because-

- it is territorial

- it is predatory

- it responded to another dog growling at it

does NOT mean the dog is not aggressive. It means the above triggers the aggression. The only difference between the various types of aggression triggered by different things is the fact that predatory aggression is the only type of aggression that is naturally appetitive to the dog.

The question then becomes- how do we prevent what can be normal natural dog behaviour- which presents more seriously in some dogs (like territorial aggression) from impacting others and causing stress and injury? This is the dog owners responsiblity- and we have to acknowledge most people are not dog savvy, they will let a dog sniff at a fence or similar. Make sure that when those non dog savvy people behave in the way that they do that your dog can't behave in a way that gets them into trouble- simple. It's not even about who is right and who is wrong- i NEVER want my dogs to be in the firing line so it's my job to protect them. No good hiding behind right and wrong once the dog has caused stress or injury to someone else. It's simple to prevent.

I have a family who lives next door and their tennis balls sometimes come into my front yard. If the gates are open or unlocked they will come in to get them. I make sure my dogs are not in the situation where this could end badly. No good saying "it's my yard they shouldn't have been there" if my dogs scared or injured a child. :(

$750! to cremate a dog. I wonder why she doesn't bury it.

We have had two large breed dogs (GSD and a Bull Arab) cremated within the last two weeks (one PTS old age, one snake bite). The cremations cost us $242.00 each. $750 for a poodle seems hugely excessive. It is lovely that it was donated though, good on the company who donated their services. Poor doggie and poor owner, what a hideous way to go.

I couldn't bury our dogs as I couldn't bear the thought of them outside in the cold and rain - silly I know, but they had always shared our home with us and I couldn't stand thinking of them outside, all alone, on a cold, rainy night.