2. 2. Why do you feed this brand?

• It was recommended by my vet
    • It was recommended by a friend
    • It was recommended by my breeder
    • I saw it advertised on TV
    • I did my own research and think this is best
    • I like the ingredients list
    • It's Australian made
    • My dog is in excellent health. (Coat and condition)
    • I don't remember why I started feeding it
    • Other - Please explain by replying to topic
  3. 3. Do you add any of these to dry food at meal time?

• Raw meat
    • Cooked meat
    • Canned food
    • Vegetables and/or rice
    • Omega or Flaxseed Oil
    • No, dry food is complete and balanced on it's own
    • Other

I feed VIP Grain Free from Woolworths (first time I've ever fed supermarket food) and K9 Natural.

I started my bulldog on this during her pregnancy as she became very fussy and I was trying everything out. She happily ate both foods and is continuing to do so now pups are 11 days old. She looks great ad pups are all big, shiny and healthy. All 9 are being fed solely by her and everyone is doing so well I figure why change?

Royal Canin here. Originally recommended by sighthound owners I respect but self selected by one of my Whippets (it's the only food I've tried that he really likes)

I do add mince, tuna and sometimes organic coconut oil, more for taste than nutritional value. I think variety is important too.

I also feed RMBs in other meals.

Another reason I feed Holistic Select, in addition to being happy with the ingredients, is that I can get it regularly and easily, which isn't true of all premium foods.

As a bonus, the dogs like the taste enough that I can use it as training treats.

I feed Royal Canin to my puppies and young dogs and Great Barko to the adults and retired dogs.

Great Barko was recommended to me by another breeder and popular here - my dogs do great on it

I am trying VIP Grain-free as well - though I feel a little embarrassed to nominate a "supermarket brand" :D Chose it for more than one reason - Australian made, ingredient list OK, readily available etc. And have tried many premium brands - I don't think they are much better TBH.

Feed Holistic Select. Dont really know why I started feeding it but I've tried just about all premium foods. Spent almost a year on Wellness due to allergies and switched back to Holistic after Wellness seemed to stop helping and his coat became very dry and dull. Now he is back to having a nice soft and shiney coat. I occasionally feed Barf or bones as well but most nights its dry only.

Guest Maeby Fünke

This poll is for Poppy, my 10 month old Labrador (Oscar, my Pug, is on an anti-cancer diet)...

She has Holistic Select Large and Giant Breed Puppy four times a week and raw, meaty bones three times a week.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

All 4 of our dogs eat something different, depending. :laugh:

Carl is on Science Diet R/D at the moment (got a little porky) which has done the trick as far as getting him to shed some kgs, and he gets BARF or raw kangaroo meat for breakfast, occasionally a bone or chicken drumstick.

Mischa has always been a fussy eater when it comes to dry food, so she gets Nature's Gift in the morning (or some raw meat). She gets the Royal Canin Mini senior food, she loves it! :thumbsup:

Jag eats Wellness as that's what we have large bags of laying around at the moment. Cleo was on Earthborn but we switched her back to Wellness; her and Jag will eat anything and everything.

The cat eats Science Diet and Wellness.

Zig has mostly Artemis and a little Pro-plan Sensitive. Dalmatians need a low purine diet (e.g. chicken is good, beef, lamb, liver, brewers yeast is bad) and Artemis fits the bill. A little Pro-plan seems to firm up his poo. Every 2 or 3 days he has a chicken frame for dinner instead.

Em has a cast iron stomach and does brilliantly on everything so she gets all the food won in comps. She's had Canidae, RC Labrador (a retrieving trial prize :laugh:) and is currently working her way through 7 bags of Advance. She has chicken frames and lamb necks several times a week.

Mine get Advance Active and/or Supercoat Active. They also get RMBs about once a week plus raw meat, the occasional egg and any of our left over rice or pasta. The Iggies get small breed Advance or one of the better supermarket brands with Natures Gift cans mixed in.

I'm currently feeding Taste of the Wild (Salmon). I tried VIP Grain-Free too for a little while but there was just too much pooping! I was kind of shocked considering most people's dogs seem to do really well on it, would've been great for me cost-wise too :(

I'm currently feeding Taste of the Wild (Salmon). I tried VIP Grain-Free too for a little while but there was just too much pooping! I was kind of shocked considering most people's dogs seem to do really well on it, would've been great for me cost-wise too :(

I also tried VIP grain free and was horrified at the amount that was being pooped out too :laugh: Also Molly started scratching quite a bit which could have been coincidence I know. So we are back on Canidae grain free with RMB and raw meat added nightly.

My guys are on Supercoat Adult chicken or Active (Pending on availability around here). They were on Mate working dog food but they weren't doing so well on it back then so I've switched them out of it. Supercoat appears to be the only on that Serenity-Jayne doesn't vomit constantly on.

My two are both on RC Sensible (Mini and Medium breeds) with raw roo mince and Proden PlaqueOff added.

I've chosen the RC after a bit of trial and error with Zeus as he seems to have a bit of a sensitive stomach when it comes to dry food. As a puppy, he was on Supercoat, but once he hit 12 months I made the switch to RC based on results from previous pets. Zeus does fantastically well on RC; his coat is very shiny and he's in perfect health and weight.

When I got Kirah, it was easier to stick with what I know so she was put onto RC Sensible Mini at 12 months too and is doing just as well as Zeus. She probably doesn't need to be on the Sensible version of the kibble, however, if it works, why change?

I did try Nutro a little while back to see if both could be on the same food (two different sizes of premium kibble gets a bit costly), however, Zeus's poops went sloppy over time and turned a yellowish colour. He's since back on the RC Sensible and is back to being well!

We have 9 adults and they are all on different foods LOL For a variety of reasons (food allergies, kidney problems, digestive issues, history of acute pancreatitis, trialling vs retired, etc). Then there are the 3 x 6 week old puppies.

1 on Science Diet K/D canned for her kidney problems. Usually mixed with pasta, rice or vegies. Looking to put her on the K/D dry too but she seems to do well on the wet so leaving as is for now.

2 are on Artemis dry with beef mince, pasta/rice with a very occassional lamb brisket bone. 1 of these has artemis osopure power and the other has weight management.

2 are on Artemis power with roo or lamb mince, brown rice, lamb bones and chicken carcusses. 1 also has some beef mince if more convenient, the other gets scratchy on beef so stick with lamb or roo.

The other 4 are pretty easy and would eat whatever without issue :) They are generally on beef or lamb brisket and chicken carcusses/wings through the week and beef/roo mince on the weekends. When it comes to dry 2 of them get the Artemis power and the other 2 get weight management with pasta/rice.

The puppies are currently on beef mince and Artemis puppy. They will soon be introduced to chicken wings and will slowly transition to the diet above (the 4 easy dogs) provided nothing goes wrong requiring a more careful diet.

All of our adults get either Vets All Natural mix or the VAN Health Booster with their dinner. On the nights that they have bones they will sometimes get the VAN multivitamin chews or they will get some mix if it is made up. 4 of them also get the joint support powder or chews. 1 gets an omega 3,6,9 oil for skin. 1 has a probiotic yoghurt every night for digestive problems, the others get yoghurt every so often.

Our kitchen has tubs everywhere at the moment :laugh: We buy our dry in the biggest bags possible, so have:

- Artemis Osopure Power tub

- Artemis Puppy tub

- Artemis Weight Management tub

- Vets All Natural Complete Mix tub

- Science Diet K/D cans in bulk packs in the cupboard

- Big bucket of VAN Health Booster

- Big bucket of VAN Joint Support

- Little tubs of VAN Joint Chews and Multivitamin Chews

- 1 fridge/freezer dedicated to dogs

- 2 x chest freezers dedicated to dogs.

Acana sport & agility. Only thing that can keep weight on her without feeding heaps of it and making her poop lots :p

She also gets raw chicken and beef, and sardines.

Edited by DiscoDobe

Guest Clover

VIP grainfree is in the food bin at the moment, but mainly eating raw. Everyone eats the same (except for the fatty Jack who has VAN and roo) they will happily eat what is put in front of them.

I feed predominantly royal Canin and raw.

I would like to feed mostly raw, but for convenience sake ( i travel around a bit, so my dad feeds them a bit) kibble happens 3-4+ times a week.

They all do wonderfully on the royal Canin, and the fussy one will happily chow down on it.

The four dogs:

Three ( BCx, BC and Terrier x) get RC- currently medium adult but usually weight control, because I got a bag of adult cheap. How much they get depends on which food they are being fed. I don't bother buying small dog biscuits as the terrier (7.5kg with a Shih Tzu jaw) copes fine with the bigger bikkies.

The two oldies (12 and 10) get joint supplements and fish/ krill oil daily.

The fourth is a skinny beast so he gets RC 4800 and sometimes a bit of whatever the other are having. He also gets K9 Super fuel on hard working days.

They all get yoghurt, sardines/ tuna/ salmon, eggs, vege etc weekly. RMBs a couple of times a week, and barf/ van/ K9 natural semi regularly.

The cats get a mixture of most of the super premium brands. They have a 8kg tub which I top up/ mix when it gets low. ( I do let it run down every so often so there isnt any reeeally old food in there!) They also get the same raw stuff as the dogs.