Looking At A Small To Medium Size Dog

Not sure I'd recommend a Stafford in this case. Most have somewhat higher than medium activity level. In fact, most can be absolute pains in the behind because they are so demanding and full-on.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a staffy. :) Not wishing to offend anybody but I like athletic dogs.

Not sure I understand this comment. Staffords are well-known (and admired) for their athletic prowess....

Boston terrier interesting. I don't know much about them.

By athletic do you mean a slender build ? A smooth Fox Terrier or a Parsons Russell Terrier.?

Boston terrier interesting. I don't know much about them.

By athletic do you mean a slender build ? A smooth Fox Terrier or a Parsons Russell Terrier.?

Thankyou Purdie. Yes I do.

Parsons Russell Terrier is a possibility but I thought that sometimes they can have a high prey drive. I wouldn't want anything aggressive but it would need to be a good watchdog.

Hi everyone, a friend of mine is getting older & has a large dog, but for the next dog would like a medium to small size dog (preferably a short coat) she has had 2 rhodesian ridgebacks before but would like something smaller next time. Any ideas of what dogs to research? Thanks Ridgiemum.

A Staffordshire Terrier or Hungarian Vizsla......

efs.

I have a basset hound and she fits that description quite well other than maybe being bigger than you wanted(she's about 18kg but short obviously), although she is a small basset I am told. She is happy to just chill with her people most of the time and a bit of an amble and she's sorted, a 5 minute run with the kelpie and she's just about collapsing! She's not massively intelligent like my kelpie but she easily trained all the important things which was the main thing for us. Bassets get a bad rap as barkers but we worked on that from day one and she only barks now if there is roos over the back fence. I always say that they are all the happy of the beagle but with a bit less of the loony and they can't jump fences!

So many more things to consider than just size:

* Temperament? People focussed? Or more aloof/independent?

* Trainabiiity? How important is an easy to train dog?

* Activity Level? An energiser bunny or a more laid back breed?

* Inside or outside dog?

* Exercise levels? How much exercise will the dog get?

I know a few RR folk who also have Whippets and that seems to be a good mix but your friend needs to think about other issues too. No point recommending Whippets if this is to be an outside dog though. However if your friend is a "hound person", most other breeds might not suit.

Thanks for all the replies, so far; (more details)

* Temperament? People focussed? Or more aloof/independent? - people focussed

* Trainabiiity? How important is an easy to train dog? - doesn't really matter

* Activity Level? An energiser bunny or a more laid back breed? - prefer laidback

* Inside or outside dog? - inside when people are at home

* Exercise levels? How much exercise will the dog get? 30 minutes or less a day.

I'm going against the grain here; I wouldn't recommend a corgi. Love 'em absolutely myself, but they shed like demons, and need way more than 30 minutes of exercise, plus a commitment to training.

I always say to people who ask me why corgis have such a bad reputation when mine are so well behaved; "Think of all the willpower and drive required for a dog this size to be able to move hundreds of kilograms of cattle around. Now think of that same dog being treated like a cuddly, brainless lap dog. It's little wonder these furry little napoleon complexes in a dog suit end up running their households with an iron paw!"

Don't get me wrong, I think they're the best breed in the world, but only if you're prepared to put time and work into them. Though I'd suggest a laidback, couch potato Cardigan Corgi selected by a good breeder could work, if it really appealed.