Parents Teaching Their Children How To Approach Dogs

mantis

I was walking my girl on monday & there were two boys 6 & 8 who's Mum was visiting one of the the neighbours in my block of units.

They saw Cougar & the younger boy went to pat her on the head, the older brother knocked his hand away & said you don't pat a strange dog on the head & showed him how to hold his hand out in front of the dog's face to let it sniff. I was gobsmacked, because not many kids these days are taught how to interact with dogs.

After the initial sniffing, Cougar sat there quietly, while they cuddled & kissed her. Wish all parents taught their children about how to approach strange dogs.

I was walking my girl on monday & there were two boys 6 & 8 who's Mum was visiting one of the the neighbours in my block of units.

They saw Cougar & the younger boy went to pat her on the head, the older brother knocked his hand away & said you don't pat a strange dog on the head & showed him how to hold his hand out in front of the dog's face to let it sniff. I was gobsmacked, because not many kids these days are taught how to interact with dogs.

After the initial sniffing, Cougar sat there quietly, while they cuddled & kissed her. Wish all parents taught their children about how to approach strange dogs.

I would say the older brother more likely learnt that at school from the Pet Education Scheme.

Most parents of young kids that we encounter are bloody useless. Just the other day I was walking Moose, and coming the other way was a woman and her son of about 4 years old. As we passed the mother said "Now hold my hand and stay close or that big dog will eat you!" :eek: I said to the little boy "He's actually very friendly and loves pats! Would you like to meet him?" The mother glared at me and said "I don't think so. He's scared of dogs." Ummm...is it any wonder? :banghead:

ETA: Sorry Mantis, I shouldn't have turned this into a negative thread, the boy you encountered sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders :) Well done to him and it must have been lovely for you to witness :)

Edited by cassie

Isn't that great Mantis :) What a responsible big brother :)

I have a lot of kids approach my dogs and I always make sure I give the ones who do it properly a lot of praise; hopefully they'll remember to do it next time. The ones who don't I teach them how to do it.

Sometimes parents do teach their kids the right way to approach dogs but it has been forgotten. Often with some kids they need lots of practice to remember the right way to do it.

That was good to see, mantis.

In Tasmania we have a Delta DogSafe program in schools which aims at preventing dog bites by giving children skills in being safe around dogs - and when and how it is appropriate to interact with a dog (and hopefully through the children, their parents and adult relatives). They also learn when it is important to stay away from a dog. The aim is to have every school child up to Grade 3 go through the program, and sessions can also be run in child care centres, and for parents and children as a holiday activity. The same program runs in South Australia AFAIK, and Victoria and NSW have different programs with similar aims.

We're finding increasing numbers of children know, and usually remember, polite and safe ways to approach owners and dogs. The real problem we see is the parents who have no idea - including no idea of where their children are or what they're doing. :eek:

The Responsible Pet Ownership program run by the DPI and funded by a levy on dog/cat registration is very active in Victoria. It has started in NSW and last year South Australia.

www.pets.dpi.vic.gov.au

This program is available free to all schools and pre-schools for children aged 4yrs+. I am an Educator with the program and visit schools with my Standard Poodles.

(posted by Marlene)

The Responsible Pet Ownership program run by the DPI and funded by a levy on dog/cat registration is very active in Victoria. It has started in NSW and last year South Australia.

www.pets.dpi.vic.gov.au

This program is available free to all schools and pre-schools for children aged 4yrs+. I am an Educator with the program and visit schools with my Standard Poodles.

(posted by Marlene)

WOW that is fantastic, I didn't know this was happening. Hopefully there will be far less children getting bitten.

Now they just need to bring in a program to educate irresponsible owners. :laugh:

My kids were always taught to ask if they could pat a dog - never just approach one..

I agree with this. FIRST lesson - when approaching a dog, ask the owner if it's ok to pat the dog

+1 to this. :thumbsup:

And in this day and age - first lesson for younger kids especially - ask the grownup in charge of you whether you can ask the owner. As we explain to kids, some people may be busy, or grumpy, or maybe not a nice person - your own grown up will be able to tell (and furthermore the 'responsible' adult will then know where the child is!)

That's great Mantis!

My son is only 1.5 years old but I already stop him before approaching a dog, ask the owner if we are allowed to pat and then proceed to show him (hold his hand) how to approach the dog. He thinks its ok to body slam my poor beagle (not that she cares cause she covers him in kisses) so I'm trying to show him how to not body slam a dog and just pat nicely.

That's such a sweet story, Mantis! :D

I've always taught my kids not to approach strange dogs, no matter how friendly they look, and to always ask the owner if it would be ok, if they want a pat.

I will teach approaching kids the rules too (my Goldie is a kid magnet- & she loves them).

And if I see a kid looking at my dog from afar I will ask if they would like a pat. As well as teaching kids to be careful, I think it's good to be able to use my bombproof dog to help kids overcome their fears.

As for naughty kids who approach anyway, I always keep my dog safe, but am very much aware that little kids sometimes need to be taught rules hundreds of times before they learn! Hopefully it happens before they get bitten, but it's not always due to parents not teaching them.

I will teach approaching kids the rules too (my Goldie is a kid magnet- & she loves them).

And if I see a kid looking at my dog from afar I will ask if they would like a pat. As well as teaching kids to be careful, I think it's good to be able to use my bombproof dog to help kids overcome their fears

I do this too. I have the most affectionate GSD and if I see a child looking at her I will ask them if they'd like to pat her. Being a GSD I find most parents (mums usually) will walk a big circle around us. I understand their attitude - although it's also important for them to see you can never assume (one way or the other) how a particular breed will behave. It's all part of educating the next generation :)

I always make a point of asking approaching kids to wait while i ask her to sit for a pat, it helps them understand that they can't just rush up and expect a pat straight away, they need to be patient until the dog is ready.

My kids are taught first to ask me if they can go and request a pat(because I can look at the dog/owner from further back and assess whether they will apreciate the approach), then they mmust ask the owner and wait while the owner explains how they want them to pat the dog. The hold a hand out so the dog can approach and sniff them but I try to make it clear that they can't get in the dogs face so the dog can smell them, it needs to be the dog coming to them.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

I've always thought there should be adds on TV during children's programmes showing them how to approach a dog, only after asking of course, instead of all those junk food adds.

Unfortunately there is no revenue in it for the TV stations, so it won't happen.

I've had kids run straight up to my dog that have supposedly been raised by experienced dog breeders or trainers. It always baffles me. They say in one breath that they breed and compete and yet their child is right in my dog's face without so much as a 'hello'. I had one kid froma working dog home just grab my dog's leash from me. I grabbed it back and told her to ask first, she had no idea why.