Pet Insurance

mr.mister

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with pet plan and pay about $50 per month, it's peace of mind knowing if something happens she can have the best treatment without worrying about the money.

The problem is that every vet in my town has a policy that you have to pay upfront anyway and insurance just refunds what ever amount your particular insurance company says directly to you.

So even if I have pet insurance I will still need to have enough savings for treatment and may not have enough for the best treatment at the time.

I know Petplan says they will pay straight to the vet, but it is up to the policy of each clinic.

No. Its not like Im at home waiting for an accident to happen.

I think being able to plan your dogs accidents, illnesses and medical bills is great. Congratulations on your psychic abilities. For everything else, there's insurance.

I'm with pet plan and pay about $50 per month, it's peace of mind knowing if something happens she can have the best treatment without worrying about the money.

The problem is that every vet in my town has a policy that you have to pay upfront anyway and insurance just refunds what ever amount your particular insurance company says directly to you.

So even if I have pet insurance I will still need to have enough savings for treatment and may not have enough for the best treatment at the time.

I know Petplan says they will pay straight to the vet, but it is up to the policy of each clinic.

That's very true, I am lucky I have funds I can raid and pay back, but it does make it hard for those who don't.

That's very true, I am lucky I have funds I can raid and pay back, but it does make it hard for those who don't.

If I was lucky enough to have a clinic who would allow petplan to pay straight to them, I would get it in a heartbeat. But at the moment I would rather that $50 a month to go into my Emergency funds :)

I know some people who have an emergency only Credit Card, but I haven't looked into that.

Guest donatella

No I wasn't waiting at home either, I was at work all day then cam home to someone else dropping her and breaking her legs...

Edited by donatella

Im all for taking care of your family and furry friends. I don't wish sickness on anyone. However I believe we as a society are far too Problem focused. We have insurances and plans to cover up every perceived vulnerability we have.

We are so focused on preventing sickness/injury that we forget how to be healthy and well. And just it seems like sick people are always getting sick. Injured people are always get injured. Sometimes you just need to listen to what people speak/worry/fuss about, watch and read about.

I wish you and your pets all the BEST!

Im all for taking care of your family and furry friends. I don't wish sickness on anyone. However I believe we as a society are far too Problem focused. We have insurances and plans to cover up every perceived vulnerability we have.

We are so focused on preventing sickness/injury that we forget how to be healthy and well. And just it seems like sick people are always getting sick. Injured people are always get injured. Sometimes you just need to listen to what people speak/worry/fuss about, watch and read about.

Really? :rofl:

So..is it just the vibe then? Sorry :)

You are obviously one of those people who believe that sickness can be brought on by focussing on it too much. Insurance is not about focussing on sickness though. And some people (and dogs) really are accident prone :)

Edited by Rosetta

Strange reply :confused: You are aware we are talking here about pet insurance, aren't you? I don't think most dogs are into hypchondria.

Guest donatella

I think you'll find most people here go out of their way to feed the best diet, give the most amount of exercise and stimulation and do everything they can to focus on their dogs health and well being :)

Sickness and injuries are a part of life, noone is foolproof. I have a breed that is accident prone, and unfortunately for the most part not their fault. If I can spend $1 a day to NOT think about it, for me that is cheap as chips :thumbsup:

:confused:

Another vote for PetPlan. When Mazda swallowed a piece of plastic and required emergency surgery, the bill came to over $4,000. And they paid it without question. My premium is $50 pm (he is an English Setter(.

Sweet can you just tell that to my dogs?

They dont seem to worry about banging and crashing into things, and I certainly have given up worrying about it (I just come in and pick up the pieces) and yet they still get injured????? I guess they just dont know the special rules :confused:

My dogs now are insured. Between their own stupidity, crazy clotting problems and flyball/agility/herding etc I figure that it only takes one cruciate to go and it will have been money well spent. And it has allowed me to worry less about them because I can borrow the initial money off my mum for the time being to pay for treatment for them. I am not all that financial (still studying) so I think its only fair I have something in place so that my dogs can get treatment. Even something like epilepsy can add up to a fair amount over a year, or atopic dermatitis- I cant afford ongoing costs so I chose petplan.

Edited by Jumabaar

I have pet insurance for Elsie, with Ellenco (we're in NZ). Hers is $26/month.

I would be able to get my parents or partner (or even a friend) to pay for her upfront vet care if it was needed, while waiting for the insurance payment to come through. I simply can't save enough to cover an expensive accident, if she got hit by a car tomorrow and needed a lot of surgery, there is no way I could pay for that, even if I had been saving $20 a month since I got her.

Her policy is for $4150, it includes "complementary" which covers homeopathy, acupuncture, physiotherapy, chiropractic and hydrotherapy which I quite like :)

Edited by DiscoDobe