7 Month Old Rottie Biter

peytonsmumma

hey all. I have a 7 month old f rott. she was a chronic biter when I first got her and thankfully got that under control. I then moved in with two different people and their patience for her is next to none. they started taking away her favourite toy, a squeaky snake. I told them they could do it if she was in their face but to give it back when they leave. they didn't. they continued to take it from her even when id give it back that I ended up keeping it in my room. I then noticed that they had hidden some toys where she couldn't get them. her biting started getting worse again. I found them and then told them they cannot do that and they said they 'forgot' they hid them. by this time, Peyton had been getting restless even though I had given her toys back. I would hold her snout, or try the ignoring thing. the ignoring just made her start jumping and biting and at that time, 6 months, she had gotten quite big and teeth very strong. I then went to Melbourne for a week and left her in the car of my house mates as they seemed to be fond of her and understanding of her needs. I was so wrong. I had learned the day of my arrival that she had been banished outside, after being inside with me most of the time. she had gotten no attention whatsoever and when I returned and found her outside, they had given her ONE TOY and not even one that she would opt for over others. I was furious to say the least and it seems they couldn't handle her puppy neediness. since getting home 3 weeks ago, she has weed inside as she is too scared to go outside as she thinks she will be left out there for an entire week (angry face) and her biting/attention seeking is at an all time high. I feel terrible knowing that it isn't her fault but im so at my wits end. she's an affectionate girl, but when she gets hypo, she snaps playfully and now being 7 months and near on 25 kgs, she is way to strong to be doing this. I have tried the thumb under the tongue but she can still bite down and while it's obvious that it's uncomfortable for her, I cannot keep doing it as it causes me too much pain. i need to re teach her the 'NO' command as she is not abiding.

please help ! should I just find a behaviourist or am I able to rectify this behaviour myself ?

she also scratches on the back door like crazy and won't stop when told. I've tried ignoring her so she doesn't think it's a way for attention but she will do it for 10 seconds at a time.

I think a good behaviorist is in order. You have a big girl hitting adolescence which can be a testing time as it is. When you add the nipping, jumping and anxiety into the mix it's time to take decisive steps to help you and your girl. I am on my phone so I can't see where you are located by I am sure others will be happy to pass on references. Good luck and please let us know who you get along.

1. Move or evict your housemates. Sounds to me like you need your own place where you can raise your dog how you wish her to be raised.

2. Summon a decent dog trainer. I'd also enrol in some obedience classes ASAP. No offence, but you sound like a novice dog owner and you need as much help as you can get as quickly as you can get it.

1. Move or evict your housemates. Sounds to me like you need your own place where you can raise your dog how you wish her to be raised.

2. Summon a decent dog trainer. I'd also enrol in some obedience classes ASAP. No offence, but you sound like a novice dog owner and you need as much help as you can get as quickly as you can get it.

Agreed. Having a situation with flatmates is fraught with difficulties and even more so in the case of attempting to raise a puppy.

It's also precarious with regards to security. I will not rehome to this type of scenario because I know too well what can go wrong - in a variety of ways - and none of them are good for the dog.

Agreed. Having a situation with flatmates is fraught with difficulties and even more so in the case of attempting to raise a puppy.

It's also precarious with regards to security. I will not rehome to this type of scenario because I know too well what can go wrong - in a variety of ways - and none of them are good for the dog.

:(

have to agree.

Your accomodation setup seems NOT to be the setting needed to bring up a settled and secure and safe rotty.

There are so many things which can ,and will, happen here , and you need a lot of help .

A recommended professional person will be able to do an assessment on your pup's problems, and advise you /help you .

THIS is the only one that I know of in Adelaide ...

Take Care , and I hope you & your pup can both find a solution .

I agree with the above. You need to provide a safe home for this puppy. She's been neglected and teased by your housemates who are not interested in the welfare of the pup. You appear to be an inexperienced dog owner who needs help and advice on how to raise your dog to be the best she can be.

I doubt you need a behaviourist but you do need to get this dog into obedience training with a trainer who is experienced with the breed. You have a very smart, very energetic breed. She's behaving normally for a pup who has not had any training. You dog doesn't know what is acceptable behaviour because she hasn't been trained to know what is acceptable.

Please protect your dog and provide her with the training she needs to become a well behaved example of the breed.

There is a thread on this forum for the Rottweiler breed. Please join that thread and you will receive advice and direction from dedicated owners of the breed. They will be only too happy to assist you.

WOW I would be FURIOUS with my housemates if they did that to my dog!! I agree that you should be thinking about finding a place to live where you can best raise your dog the way you want.

Please find a behaviorist ASAP. One that is experienced with the breed. I don't know any in SA unfortunately but I'm sure others will be able to recommend you one.

If you like, do come and join in the Rotty thread here : http://www.dolforums...page__st__21750

We don't bite. We will just demand lots of photos. :laugh:

Edited by silentchild

:mad how nasty of them. Is there anyway that you can move to a place without flat mates?

I would suggest that you get help with her, I had a Rotty many many years ago & found that the normal dog obedience training for her was just not enough and ended up getting in a trainer that breed & trained Rottys. Best thing I EVER did (for me & her) went from being out of control, to so well behaved in a really short time. She was my first dog (grew up with the families dogs) and taught me so much.

thanks for your replies everyone..

i am 21, however this is my family's 3rd rottie and i have also fostered dogs for adelaide all breed dog rescue with no issue. i have no doubt that these issues have come about because of my house mates.. i have now moved in with my mum until i find alternate accommodation and my step dad is very great with discipline so i am glad to have a better influence around.

our two previous rotties were beautiful. the first, in 1987 before i was born, was apparently quite the terror, worse than my pup now. but she learned the right way and she was beautiful and lived til she was 15.

my last angel, kaylah, was as perfect as perfect could be. she changed many peoples minds about the stereotypical rottie breed. she passed away in november at age 11 due to cancer. :(

i can now properly implement firm commands with her, now i am out of that terrible situation.

she is a very sooky baby girl, loves EVERYONE. i almost think she prefers the people at the dog park over the other dogs. loves her cuddles.

Best of luck. She sounds like a lovely but very confused pup whose been dealing with a lot of misunderstanding and mixed messages from your flatmates. hopefully things will settle now that you are at home and with like minded people who understand rotties, that plus some professional help and she'll be a star before you know it :)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Glad to hear that you have moved out of that situation, your poor dog must have been so confused and frustrated by your housemates.

I have an 8 1/2 month old rotti and she's very social, LOVES her family and always wants to say hello to everyone on our walks. I know mine would have absolutely hated being shut outside, having her toys taken away and being generally ignored. Its no wonder your baby is lashing out. She needs consistency and training so if you can find an obedience class near you that would be a huge benefit. Be sure to reward good behaviour, we keep some treats in a handy spot in our lounge room so that when she's doing the right thing it can be reinforced quickly.

Hi Peyton's Mumma

You could try contacting the Rottweiler club of SA for help...

http://www.rottweilerclubsa.com.au/

Especially Beverley or Deb.

The club also holds obedience classes near West Terrace - which are open to all dog breeds but they do have a special understanding for rotties.

I'm not sure if I'd be game to do this with an adult rotti who was angry with me, but one that's just playing - well I've done it with staffies and cattle dogs and they can break bones when they want to...

If a dog chomps on me - I push gently towards the back of their throat until they try to spit me out, then I hold for one second, and then let them spit me out. And then I don't play for about 30 seconds or until the dog notices I'm not playing any more and shows some sign of caring about it (eg backs off and re-invites play). I'm very careful to be as gentle with the dog as I want them to be with me.

I agree with the others suggestions for Mark Singer. And I've also seen these two recommended in here.

Amy Van Dyk at Advance Behavioural Training

http://www.advancebehaviouraltraining.com.au/

Debra Millikan http://positivelydogs.com/faq/

If they're not able to help - ask them to recommend someone else for you.

When ever I've needed to get someone else to look after my dog, I've always had a backup plan with a professional dog boarding facility that I've visited beforehand with my dog - so if it all goes pear shaped with my friends or family - they know where the dog can go, and the boarding facility knows me and my dog too. It's been a life saver for me. My evil hound, while adorable, can be a serious PITA too.

I would ask the rottie club people to recommend their favourite dog boarding facilities.

It's so nice not to need to share house with anyone.

im going to take her to the rottie training tonight and hopefully get some advice. i know she is in a good environment now so she has the best chance to excel. so glad to have gotten away from those people. my poor girl was been so neglected by them and probably couldn't understand why.

will let you all know how tonight goes. hopefully wont need a behaviourist as i am unemployed due to just deferring uni and am so poor :( but if she needs it of course, I will definitely borrow the money. anything for my little pooch.

• 2 weeks later...

well I went to the training which was great, obviously only an intro so didnt learn much. unfortunately didnt get to go last week.

however :D miss Peyton has improved sooo much since I moved back in with mum. I can't believe it. im so glad. she still occasionally does her psycho bite but now I've noticed it's when she hasn't been to the park for a run around, instead of just cos she wants to. im so pleased. clearly the atmosphere was terrible for her, being cooped in a tiny room for hours or being locked outside. she still is hating outside, but slowly getting better.

thank you everyone !