Sacrifices Made, Large Or Small

I don't think I would call anything a sacrifice - more of an adjustment, really.

I would certainly have a lot more money and a much nicer lounge suite and lovely Persian rugs on the floor (so there goes any money saved :laugh: ).

There has been a lot of heartache along the way since dogs came into my life. Their devotion, stoicism, live-for-the-moment attitude and acceptance make me feel totally inadequate and unworthy a lot of the time.

I would certainly have lots more unbroken sleep, I would be able to hop in the car and go off on a quick holiday, I could fly up to Brisbane or down to Melbourne for visits at a moment's notice.

And, like Mantis, I have put off an operation because I simply don't know how I would manage looking after myself, 5 dogs and one cat while in a sling 24/7 for six weeks and unable to drive for 6 weeks and very restricted for another six weeks.

Anyone in the market for 5 dogs and one cat ? :laugh: :laugh:

Unfortunately DD, I think our inns are all full!

Edited by Pollywaffle

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it really a sacrifice? A few holidays postponed because of big vet bills and not wanting to stay out late because we have to get home for the dogs but I dont see that as a sacrifice. Maybe sitting on the floor to watch tv because I dont want to move the dogs off the lounge. Not going out on new years eve incase of fireworks. Still not really a sacrifice. We would rather spend it with the dogs than a drunken crowd.

Agree, though I do sit in a chair. Would never get up if I sat on the floor!

Totally agree. I refused an executive level promotion overseas four years back because of my dogs. But I definitely never regret that decision.

When I had Kenny, I had to rent dumps of houses yet still had to pay top dollar, because they were the only places that would allow dogs, it used up my small amount of super.

Now I have Cougar & am lucky enough to live in a cheap unit. 3 months ago I broke 2 of my fingers in a fall, the Doctor said he would have to put pins in them so they healed straight, but that would have required a stay in hospital. There would have been no one to look after Cougar, so I refused. Now I have 2 crooked fingers on my left hand, with limited use because I can't bend them properly. My dogs ALWAYS come first. :laugh:

that is certainly devotion!

The devotion & unconditional love are what dogs give us, our repayment for that is to take care of them & ensure they have a happy life.

On the couch issue, when I had Kenny he had the couch, I had a chair, people used to shake their heads about that. The only time Kenny didn't have the couch was when I had more than one visitor & boy, didn't Kenny grumble when he had to lie on his bed instead. :rofl:

I think if you feel dogs are making you sacrifice other things, and you are not receiving appropriate benefits & pleasure from dog keeping in exchange, it is time to change something.

Just because you sacrifice something doesn't mean you feel negatively about it or are not receiving appropriate benefits/pleasures from having your pets.

Read my post again please? You have misunderstood it, I think

Sacrifices I have had to make are no more white sheet sets and having to pay an extra $10 a week in rent as the property manager says it was to cover any potential damage *rolls eyes* I don't know what bond is for then, plus you wouldn't even a dog lives here as we are clean freaks.

We desperately need to upgrade to a king sized bed as three Rotties and two humans don't fit on a queen sized bed. Come to think of it, we need a five seater couch as well as only two Rotties and one human can fit at the moment and the OH ends up upstairs to watch the TV :laugh:

There are only some things that I notice - for example work recently advertised some overseas postings. If I did not have the dogs, I would apply. But with our mad mob, it would never work to transfer overseas.

Like others here, we also don't go out at night during the week - if there is something that has to be done like a dog club meeting, one of us will go and the other one will stay home.

I don't think about the amount of money we spend on them, got to spend it on something so it may as well be dogs :D