Sacrifices Made, Large Or Small

Without too much detail, OH and I currently have a lifestyle that we would not choose; many aspects of it don’t gel, but because of the dogs (and other less central issues), we have committed to remain in this lifestyle until they leave us. Without commenting further on our situation, I just wondered what sacrifices DOLers have made for their dogs – both insignificant and significant – whether the sacrifices were/are worth it?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our lives kind of revolve around the dogs. We don't go away much and if we are out with friends we always leave before everyone else as the dogs need to be fed or its late and I worry about them.

We have a dog who has 'issues' and he makes things difficult most of the time, juggling them around because of him.

It's just the way we live ATM and I guess we are used to it now, although hubby is becoming more frustrated with the situation and wants to make some changes.

I've been dogless for a spell, and I learnt that dispite the inconvenience at times (going on holidays etc and some restriction of coming and going); I am a much happier person for having pets in it.

I don't have as freakishly neat and fur-free house as I'd like. And having pets did impact on a relationship. Actually, having pets impacted on every relationship I had. :( (it's not just women who think they can change their man to be the way they want them to be)

On the plus side...I have met a LOT of people I would not have, if it wasn't for my pets. :thumbsup:

Our lives revolved around our old stafford for a long time, while he was undergoing chemo.

It took ages to pay off the credit card that we took out to help pay for his treatments.

These days with the new guy, I find that I am still just as happy to hang out at home and do stuff here rather than go away.

I like taking him to obedience and for walks - he comes with me a lot when I go out (if I can take him).

I have met a lot of great people through the dogs over the years.

Most of my friends have dogs and they are more than happy to bring them over here for a play with Zig, while we sit around and have a BBQ/lunch or dinner.

Is it really a sacrifice? A few holidays postponed because of big vet bills and not wanting to stay out late because we have to get home for the dogs but I dont see that as a sacrifice. Maybe sitting on the floor to watch tv because I dont want to move the dogs off the lounge. Not going out on new years eve incase of fireworks. Still not really a sacrifice. We would rather spend it with the dogs than a drunken crowd.

Is it really a sacrifice? A few holidays postponed because of big vet bills and not wanting to stay out late because we have to get home for the dogs but I dont see that as a sacrifice. Maybe sitting on the floor to watch tv because I dont want to move the dogs off the lounge. Not going out on new years eve incase of fireworks. Still not really a sacrifice. We would rather spend it with the dogs than a drunken crowd.

Agree, though I do sit in a chair. Would never get up if I sat on the floor!

I am not the sacraficing type. I spend time and money and organise my life around my dogs because I choose to. Nothing is more important to me.

I knowingly took this on and love every minute. (wish I cld hv a cleaner tho)

Yup. I feel the same.

Sure, every now and then it would be nice to be able to just spontaneously go away and not have to worry about pets, but then I look at the adorable munchkins and forget about all of that :laugh:

Interesting question. Immit a big fan of going out and now that I have a dog who suffers from both separation anxiety and DA I do the shopping once a week and may sometimes go out to meet a friend for coffee during the day but definitely no longer than 2 hours and only if someone else can be home to dog sit. If I'm honest though I quite enjoy not going out, we walk for about an hour and a half a day so we get excercise and I get so much more work done at home. I recently discovered ebay and find I can get work supplies delivered. People come to the house to visit which is nicer anyway. I know my OH gets a bit frustrated but the only thing I'm sad about is not being able to see my daughter graduate in London, aside from that it's more of a lifestyle streaming than a sacrifice.

I was away in Sydney over the weekend and I was telling Mr Bjelkier how sometimes I think about how nice it would be to live in the inner city, have no dogs and spend most of our time just going to gigs, out to dinner etc

However by that evening all I wanted was one of the dogs to cuddle with. I missed them so much, their sweet little faces, their company, the warmth and weight of them on the end of my bed.

So in a round about kind of way I'm trying to say that although sometimes I'd like things to be different I don't feel that I sacrifice anything to have my dogs. It's just a little different but worth every single moment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one for late nights and partying regardless of the dogs. It is still a sacrifice but its one I'm willing to make (obviously, or I wouldn't care what time we get home).

Just like having kids means you have to make some sacrifices. They are worth it or I wouldn't do it.

We accidentally made a sacrifice. After months of looking, both my sister and I walked into the house that we now live in, looked at the backyard and said "oh wow, the dogs would love that" we ended up buying the house, moving in and realising that the actual house isn't any bigger than the one we moved from, I think it's actually smaller. So we sacrificed a house that was adequately sized, and I sacrificed the master bedroom so the dogs would have a nice spacious backyard :)

I've just bought a small acreage, which isn't really a sacrifice because I hate suburbia and want to get away from it, but a big consideration in buying the property was the dogs and whether they would be happy there :)

Frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way :)

I wouldn't call sacrifice because I get more enjoyment out of my dogs and the other animals than I do anything else but we do revolve our life around them and sometimes that makes things hard.

At 19 I rescued my first poodle, because of his epilepsy I had to be able to medicate him twice a day at the exact same time or he would have seizures so I rarely went anywhere without him, he taught me a lot about responsibility. I gave up a lot for a young person, just so I knew he safe and happy.

We live a comfortable life but we could of had a lot more of the mortgage paid off if we didn't rescue or have so many.

In 18 years my husband and I have only been away twice,3 days at a time and we have taken two or three dogs with us.

I still don't go out a lot and often turn down invitations because I don't like leaving the dogs alone for any length if time. I work from home so I can spend all day with them.

It doesn't feel like a sacrifice. I haven't been away on hols for over 15 years! I had horses and cats too which made it really hard. Now I am worried about Amber as she needs constant monitoring with medication adjusted.

Part of the reason that I moved to a cheaper house was so that I wouldn't be stressed about big vet bills and having to make decisions for financial reasons only. Knocked back a couple of houses that I didn't consider to be dog friendly.

I take the dogs to dog school every Sunday morning even when I would rather stay in bed. The know it is Sunday and glare at me :rofl: I don't like going out on Saturday nights because of dog school, not such an issue now I am getting older but was a bit of an issue when I was younger.

Interestingly, I can't think of a single sacrifice I've had to make for my dogs. I suppose if you count financial sacrifices, then yes, they do tend to be expensive, but I can't think of anything I'd rather spend the money on.

I think I have the opposite problem. I get frustrated because I have to sacrifice time with my dogs due to work commitments. I work weekends, which means I don't get to do undertake the recreational activities with them that I enjoy.

I think if you feel dogs are making you sacrifice other things, and you are not receiving appropriate benefits & pleasure from dog keeping in exchange, it is time to change something.

I chose not to move OS because of my dog and we've recently agreed to not go on another extended overseas holiday because my dog is a bit on the aged side (it also took a lot of pressure of us financially so win win)

I think if you feel dogs are making you sacrifice other things, and you are not receiving appropriate benefits & pleasure from dog keeping in exchange, it is time to change something.

Just because you sacrifice something doesn't mean you feel negatively about it or are not receiving appropriate benefits/pleasures from having your pets.