Looking For A Pug In Rescue

A lovely colleague is looking for a pug (or two) to adopt, she recently has the heart-wrenching situation of buying a pup through a byb that consequently developed uncontrollable epilepsy. Many tears and thousands of dollars later he had to be pts at SASH.

The family has an approx 10 yo daughter and can offer a loving home. The plan is to eventually have 2 pugs, either 2 adults or add a pup (from a good breeder) after a rescue has settled in.

Anyone know of any pugs in rescue atm or maybe an ex-showie?

Another place to try is Pugs SOS (website or facebook). They will not adopt out of state, but they have carers in quite a few states now, including NSW and those pugs are adopted out in the state in which they were found.:)

Another place to try is Pugs SOS (website or facebook). They will not adopt out of state, but they have carers in quite a few states now, including NSW and those pugs are adopted out in the state in which they were found.:)

thanks RP, I know she has been looking on pugs sos already and falling in love with all the interstate pugs :o:thumbsup:

I know she was please to see all the hoops they put their adopters through.

thanks RP, I know she has been looking on pugs sos already and falling in love with all the interstate pugs :o:thumbsup:

I know she was please to see all the hoops they put their adopters through.

Yep if RuralPug recommends them I'd be going with them :thumbsup:

Pugs SOS won't rehome to you if you work, and I believe the pug club of nsw also have the same rule, so I'd try paws for something more realistic.

sorry to be off topic, but how utterly ridiculous and short sighted.

Pugs SOS won't rehome to you if you work, and I believe the pug club of nsw also have the same rule, so I'd try paws for something more realistic.

So basically you need to be retired or a billionaire to own a Pug?

Apparently! It's the most ridiculous things ever.

Apparently! It's the most ridiculous things ever.

I must be a shocking pug owner- I work full time, so does my fiance and we have 2 of the buggers! Plus a border collie! Gasp, Shock!!! lol

I wouldn't rehome a Pug, or several other companion-focused breeds, to be the only pet in a household where no-one is at home during the day. As a breed they are focused on companionship, and being totally alone for the daylight hours except on weekends is NOT an ideal home. However, I would happily rehome to a family who are not at home weekdays if one or two other small dogs of a compatible nature are sharing the home and I could see and meet them and know they had plenty of interaction with their human family evenings and weekends.

There are breeds who will occupy themselves if left alone a lot. It is a rare Pug that will be able to.

I wouldn't rehome a Pug, or several other companion-focused breeds, to be the only pet in a household where no-one is at home during the day. As a breed they are focused on companionship, and being totally alone for the daylight hours except on weekends is NOT an ideal home. However, I would happily rehome to a family who are not at home weekdays if one or two other small dogs of a compatible nature are sharing the home and I could see and meet them and know they had plenty of interaction with their human family evenings and weekends.

There are breeds who will occupy themselves if left alone a lot. It is a rare Pug that will be able to.

Because pugs aren't known for sleeping most of the day, regardless of how many people are home or not :laugh:

There are a lot of people who will swear their pug is perfectly content being alone for 8 or more hours a day most days. They are entitled to their opinion, and if that is all the pug has known since a tiny baby puppy, then maybe he/she has never had the chance to know there is a better way of life. But I, and most other pugaholics can tell you that although they may sleep all day, they do NOT choose to sleep apart from each other or far away from people if they have thee chance. Pugs crave companionship and on the one occasion in my life when I had only one dog, I delivered her to a pet-sitter where she could romp with other small dogs every workday on my way to work. Some may consider that overly fanatic, but I was concerned that she had NEVER been alone - always had had other pugs or other dogs within snuggling distance.

Rehoming an older pug (especially one that may have had abuse or neglect) I consider it my responsibility to find the IDEAL home, where that pug WILL have companionship, animal and/or human for most of the daylight hours as well as at night and on weekends.This can be a luxury when rehoming mixed breeds, sometimes I am grateful to find homes where they will be loved and well-cared for. Fortunately for rescue Pugs though, that is an affordable luxury as the demand is high. So, I, for one, support the PUG breed rescues in putting prospective adopters through the wringer - when there are a heap of applications it would be a dereliction of duty to NOT approve the best possible match. Just trying to explain a point of view..

Guest donatella

Because pugs aren't known for sleeping most of the day, regardless of how many people are home or not :laugh:

I dated a guy who had a pug as the solo dog and he worked full time, she seemed content to me. She had a doggy door to the balcony (he lived on a first floor unit) and when we came home we'd see this blob sunning herself on her back on the balcony. She went to footy games on the weekends with him, but was home alone during the week pretty content.

I dated a guy who had a pug as the solo dog and he worked full time, she seemed content to me. She had a doggy door to the balcony (he lived on a first floor unit) and when we came home we'd see this blob sunning herself on her back on the balcony. She went to footy games on the weekends with him, but was home alone during the week pretty content.

Like any dog, every pug is different. That why the blanket "no pugs to homes that work" rules are just eye rollingly stupid. It's saying that a better home is one that doesn't have the income to provide for the dog, especially in the event it needed emergency medical care etc

The best rescues are the ones that don't have blanket rules and assess every dog and every home on a case by case basis.

Edited by minimax