Rspca(sa) Formalises Agreement With A Rescue

This text is copied from a post on the RSPCA South Australia facebook page (mind you, the dog in the accompanying pic is a siberian but you can't expect total sense at a photo op LOL)

Tim Vasudeva (RSPCA SA CEO), Kerriann Campbell (RSPCA SA Executive Manager of Animal Operations) and Ana Costa (Australian Working Dog Rescue Adoptions and Rehoming Coordinator for SA) met today at RSPCA Lonsdale shelter to formalise a cooperative arrangement between the two groups to rehome working breed dogs into their forever homes. Tim recently joined RSPCA SA from Animal Welfare League NSW and brings with him many years of experience in progressive animal sheltering and working cooperatively with rescue and welfare groups to improve outcomes for shelter and rescue animals. Tim, Kerriann and Ana were joined by Manny, Kerriann's adoptee from RSPCA Lonsdale.

This is not the first occasion that an RSPCA branch shelter has worked with rescue but I think that EVERY time that they do it should be applauded (positive training :;)

I know we are very good already at warning people about the non-welfare stuff RSPCA can do (public education :;) so say cheer.gif for good welfare behaviour! Click! Treat!

Good to see that Tim's already making a difference, good on him! :thumbsup:

Good on Tim! I didn't realise he had moved across to RSPCA SA, would be a difficult time for him given the last few months.

Who has taken on CEO of AWL NSW now?

This is not the first occasion that an RSPCA branch shelter has worked with rescue but I think that EVERY time that they do it should be applauded (positive training :;)

[

I love your call for positive training methods! :)

Tim sounds like he's the long lost twin of that equally fine RSPCA CEO in Canberra.

Seriously, it makes so much sense to foster a 'whole of rescue-community' approach.

If he has only been there a week I would presume negotiations had been underway for quite a while beforehand but it is an awesome step especially seeing as though the SA RSPCA has been getting a social media flogging about rescue. Great job

Good to see that Tim's already making a difference, good on him! :thumbsup:

Good on Tim! I didn't realise he had moved across to RSPCA SA, would be a difficult time for him given the last few months.

Who has taken on CEO of AWL NSW now?

He officially resigned just over 3wks ago from AWL NSW

Currently there is no AWL NSW CEO

Great news :thumbsup: There has not been any working together before & the euthanasia rates are so high. There are many good people in rescue & private individuals here in South Australia who would love to help & take an active role but they either haven't been allowed or have not been happy with their volunteering. Hopefully things will change & the animals will benefit.

The Qld RSPCA work with a number of rescues and have done for quite a while - I'm in Vic and the org I work with has had a great relationship with them for (I think) a few years.

Glad to see SA is getting on board too. Now, if only Vic would step up... :scold::whip:

I spoke with the Regional Manager of RSPCA NSW (I think thats what she was) today, after making enquiries about the Yagoona Koolie girl. She indicated that all NSW RSPCA actively work with Rescue groups that are affiliated with the Kennel Club NSW (?). They have a central register and, in the case of working breeds in particular, will contact a rescue group before making a decision to PTS due to ns great too :thumbsup:

She was going to check into the Koolie's specific circumstance and get back to me, so when I do I will confirm who she is, what level she is, and what the exact procedures (and costs) are expected for rescue groups when taking on dogs being released from RSPCA shelters. So if anyone has issues then we have a name that we can contact at least fo A and NSW. :thumbsup:

We can but hope, but maybe the tide is turning, when we have issues with one section, we can point them at the ones that are leading the way to assist with forming better working relationships across the whole country.

I would love to see the document that RSPCA & Working dogs signed just to see what is included.

Will keep you updated when I get more info.

The RSPCA in Sydney has done this for some time. I know as I was once contacted by them for a dog that was considered a pug, and that was at least 5 or 6 years ago.

Before I could be listed on their rescue list I had to be inspected and assessed as if I was entering into a foster care relationship with them.

They do not operate like pounds so you won't get called every time and you can't simply just request which dogs you would like. They only allow rescue to take them if they are being euthd for more simple reasons.

In the case of the pug x, he had a flea allergy and was not toilet trained. Sadly, this meant he was not adoptable and he either came to me or was euthd. He came to me and I confess to feeling resentful at the time because it felt like I was being held to ransom almost over such simple problems.

Edited by ~Anne~