What Trick Are You Teaching Your Dog

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, he is pretty cute, and he knows it! Unfortunately, he knows it, and likes to offer this trick whenever he thinks it will get laughs. It's not too bad when we're out and about, and he wants attention, but not so good when he decides to try it at the end of a recall in the obedience ring!

I love his 'working' face! I might have to do a video of my two Cardi's doing sit pretty. Zim can hold his for ages, but Inari's is pretty adorable.

I finally got a video of our Sit Pretty.

Realised Nova has a "derp" concentration face

How did you get him to just sit pretty & not go up on his back legs????

Would love to see the Corgis sitting up Cleo!

Sheena, I started by getting him to sit, I would sit in from of him and put my arm horizontally in front of him and got him to put his paws on my arm, slowly moved to paws on my legs, and after many months of building up those muscles and rewarding for less pressure on my legs he was able to do it by himself.

Now it's his go to trick if he wants something laugh.gif

Between going from paws on my arms to my legs, it helped to have a wall right behind him.

Edited by LisaCC

I taught Reggie by lureing her like this, keeping the treat low and leaning her chest on my arm.

I haven't taught her to stand up on her back legs before though so not sure if it will help.

post-22389-0-87506300-1407401716_thumb.jpg

Novas video is super cute Lisa :)

Edited by GeorgieB

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help!

I'm trying to teach Didi the 'oh no' cover her face with her paw trick and so far ... well :laugh:

I've been putting sticky tape somewhere slightly annoying on her face while she sits infront of me and then waited till she made any inclination to scratch it off and marked it. We've gotten to the point where we've gotten about 6 or 7 full face swipes but the problem is Didi is a bit too tolerant and will just ignore the tape and I have to sit there for ages until she decides to swipe it off. Now every time she sees me getting the sticky tape out I can practically see her rolling her eyes at me while I smush it onto her nose and she will just stare at me for ages and gets disengaged and leaves instead of scratching because she doesn't know what I'm waiting for. I don't know if she thinks I want her to keep it on?

How have you guys taught this trick and what should I do if she isn't taking the bait to scratch it off?

Normally Didi gets tricks quite quickly but this one is stumping her... and I'm wasting a lot of tape!

I taught Digby this trick Terri.

(I haven't taught it to Del because when I began to she did it with such gusto that it looked like she was going to cause herself and injury, but that's another story)

Just double check your timing, and make your treat delivery really swift. I know that after you click your treat delivery speed. Swift treat delivery is more rewarding than slow treat delivery.

Anyway... what I am trying to say is that if you're certain you are getting the mechanics right, then you can increase it's annoyance by using sticky notes.

Sticky notes are more annoying, not because they are more sticky but because they are larger and so the dog can see it, and want to get it off.

Still if she is anything like Digby she is going to be more tolerant, and she is going to work at a slower pace, and its going to take her plenty of time to have her lightbulb moment.

It took Digby quite a while to learn this trick. It went like this for many, many days:

Digby: rubs at his face

Me: C+T

Digby: Yum a treat! But what did I do to get it :confused: several more seconds pass by... what is this thing on my face?

So hang in there!

I taught Digby this trick Terri.

(I haven't taught it to Del because when I began to she did it with such gusto that it looked like she was going to cause herself and injury, but that's another story)

Just double check your timing, and make your treat delivery really swift. I know that after you click your treat delivery speed. Swift treat delivery is more rewarding than slow treat delivery.

Anyway... what I am trying to say is that if you're certain you are getting the mechanics right, then you can increase it's annoyance by using sticky notes.

Sticky notes are more annoying, not because they are more sticky but because they are larger and so the dog can see it, and want to get it off.

Still if she is anything like Digby she is going to be more tolerant, and she is going to work at a slower pace, and its going to take her plenty of time to have her lightbulb moment.

It took Digby quite a while to learn this trick. It went like this for many, many days:

Digby: rubs at his face

Me: C+T

Digby: Yum a treat! But what did I do to get it :confused: several more seconds pass by... what is this thing on my face?

So hang in there!

Awh I can just imagine Digby's confused face at that last bit. I think I'm marking the behaviour at the right time but might be a bit slow on the treats. This is the first trick we've done that doesn't use a food lure to get the desired movement so if I'm holding the treat she'll just stare at my hand and wait for me to ask her to do something so I usually have the treat away from me so she notices the thing on her face. Will have to find a better place to put the treats where I can still grab them quick enough.

We will keep going though! Not sure how well the sticky notes will stay on, even sticky tape has trouble stick to her fur but will give it a go, thanks raineth!

Ah huh yeah ok :)

You can still use sticky tape to make the sticky note stick. I think you just need to increase that stimulus a little to get more responses from her, that you can then reward!

In regards to the treat problem. My advice would be to try having treats in your pocket regularly. Preferably not something too disgusting ofcourse! I'm not talking about something wet and soggy!

But it will help to get her less zoned in on the treats :)

Goodluck with it. I'm sure she'll get there in then end. I think it can be a little trickier for them because they're not that aware of swiping at their face, it's more of an automatic response compared to other things we train them to do :)

Things I achieved today:

Possibly made Didi hate the sound of stickytape being unwound for life.

Fished a clothes peg out of the back of Didi's mouth after she decided using her tongue was a better idea than her paw.

Think I might put this on the back burner for a while!

Things I achieved today:

Fished a clothes peg out of the back of Didi's mouth after she decided using her tongue was a better idea than her paw.

Oh no!

I shouldn't laugh but :laugh:

Well never mind there's plenty more tricks out there :)

Things I achieved today:

Oh no!

I shouldn't laugh but :laugh:

Well never mind there's plenty more tricks out there :)

It was a little funny after the initial panic of her about to pelican swallow it whole! I think we'll stick to spin and bow at the moment which are coming along nicely :)

Things I achieved today:

Or not? :D

Things I achieved today:

Or not? :D

Ahh that looks way better thank you!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

• 5 months later...

Bindi practicing back-end awareness. She wasn't too keen on the towel on the board (a bit slippery) so I changed it to the lambswool. Next step (I think) is to take the board away & shape her to back-up onto the lounge.

• 3 months later...

Lets get this thread moving again! Love to hear what everyone is working on.

We're only new to this trick training caper (Bonnie is my first dog) but so far she knows:

Sit

Down

Hi-five

Low-five (paws my foot)

Stay

Spin (both ways)

Front

Here (recall)

Group hug

On Your Mat/Bed/Crate

Wait (momentary pause)

I really want to start capturing a bow, it'll be pretty easy as she stretches a lot especially in the mornings. We're currently working on retrieve using the Shirley Chong method and after that I want to start training heel, and eventually move into a switch with her going behind me. One step at a time!