Too Far You Have Taken This Dog Grooming.

MrsD

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see photos taken two weeks or a month later. Does that stuff wash out? Do the dogs spend months getting their coats back to normal after an hour of glory?

Personally, I don't get it. I don't think it's especially cruel, but it seems more like a stunt than an art or craft. And the dogs look silly.

There's a lot I don't get.

Takes me well over 2 hours to groom Toby (Std Poodle) just in a pet clip! She lies there and enjoys it. If the dogs hated it, they would fidget and lie down - certainly not good candidates for this kind of grooming. I know someone who does this with her dogs and they are trained right from pups. They enjoy being groomed and love the attention they receive from the public.

Edited by *kirty*

1371809952[/url]' post='6232576']

And I've seen standard poodles being groomed for easily 2 plus hours at a dog show.

Absolutely! I groomed one today, took me three hours. In no way did he suffer laugh.gif He's a good boy and loves coming to see me.

The dogs generally have their coat clipped off and back to a normal pet clip straight after the competition.

So some think because my breed takes two hours for an average wash and dry (even for pets - as do many breeds) we are 'abusing' them?

Do people here actually read posts properly. I have owned poodles for the last 15 years including standards, yeah they enjoyed the attention but I never made them stand on a table for more than an hour without a break.

Dogs do what owners want they are an animal that likes to please still doesn't make it right.

I have to recognise the talent and don't mind doing a little bit of basic fun colouring myself....but I am not a fan of the excessive competition creative.

This is a little rescue dog I co-fostered last year. Lesson....don't give me a white foster dog lol!

Skyefool - so funny and cute!

Honestly there are worse things in the world than silly dog grooming. Ok it's not very servicable having an elephant on your butt, but they would be clipping it off within days. Probably the hardest thing is having the dog grow that much coat and keeping it groomed in the months leading up to the competition.

If they have fun, and treat their dogs well during the process, good on them.

I won't be doing it with my dog, but we're all different and if it is a hobby people enjoy, then I wish them and their dogs nothing but happiness doing it.

Do people here actually read posts properly. I have owned poodles for the last 15 years including standards, yeah they enjoyed the attention but I never made them stand on a table for more than an hour without a break.

Dogs do what owners want they are an animal that likes to please still doesn't make it right.

Dogs tell you when they've had enough. Yesterdays STD happily stands on the table for the three hours to take to groom him. If for some reason I have to stop it takes longer to settle him back in the zone once back on the table, thus taking longer to groom him. I have other dogs who have shorter grooming times and wont tolerate more than 2 hours, others wont tolerate more than 1.5hrs. Once the dogs have told me it's enough then it's done. But as a grooming professional I can tell you that they cope just fine and aren't in any way uncomfortable. I have also been to Creative Grooming Workshops and while it's not my cup of tea these dogs are trained from pups or just naturally have the right temp to love all the attention. There are much worse lives these dogs can lead.

efs

Edited by Clyde

If its being implied that I'm not professional then I'm quite upset.

I have been a professional groomer for 18 years and the comfort of the dog is my number one priority, probably the reason so many clients tell me how happy their dogs are compared to when they've been to other groomers.

If I have had to do a 2 or 3 hour groom on a dog then I work on the floor and let the dog sit or lie down for as much time as possible.

I just want to say that I'm not saying that it is abusive or anything like that, I just think that people who can think up these sorts of things are weird - mainly because I couldn't think up some of those things if you gave me a hundred lifetimes :laugh: .

The article states that the grooming takes 2 hours & it's very possible that they have a break in that time. Anyway, I don't think that 2 hours is excessively long for a dog to be groomed, particularly if it is used to it.

The name of the thread is the name of the article, not because I think it's taken too far. :)

Most of these dogs are groomed weekly, their hair maybe parted and coloured, but are dried and washed within an hour.

Its no different to colouring human hair which Im sure most here have done or will do, when those elusive greys appear.

Most of these dogs enjoy the whole process, I work with a dog that is groomed in Creative.

Im not a fan of creative, dying etc, but am in awe of some of the creativeness some people can create with dye, ink, and scissors.

Most people who slam creative groom, cannot do anything creative and cannot see outside of the box in grooming.

Most of these dogs are groomed weekly, their hair maybe parted and coloured, but are dried and washed within an hour.

Its no different to colouring human hair which Im sure most here have done or will do, when those elusive greys appear.

Most of these dogs enjoy the whole process, I work with a dog that is groomed in Creative.

Im not a fan of creative, dying etc, but am in awe of some of the creativeness some people can create with dye, ink, and scissors.

Most people who slam creative groom, cannot do anything creative and cannot see outside of the box in grooming.

yep agree to this totally dogs who are used for ANY type of grooming comp are very much used to the process simply due to the hrs of prep work done in advance I know I spent about 2hrs with breaks starting to prepare my mini schnauzer for an upcoming comp and that was a wash, dry, deknot and trim and clip of hygiene areas as hemust have 6-8 weeks ggrowth on him.

now its just the weekly task of washing, drying and combing him out.. I still have my second dog to get started on.

bur basically before you even start thinking about grooming comps you must have a dog who is easy to please and groom as any kind of "rough housing" or handling can see you out the comp... even swearing or name calling your dog is frowned upon..so dogs that we use are bomb proof happy dogs who love the attention or atleast tolerate it and they do get toilet breaks during the comp.

nothing inhumane about that dog the dye will eventually wash or grow out like people hair dye.. and this dog would be very much used to the process of being groomed and handled.

Where's the harm?

There are far larger issues in dog welfare than the small number of dogs used in creative grooming competitions. I don't think anyone's suggesting this is a viable cut or colour on a pet.

No different to creative hairdressing competitions from where I sit. :shrug: