Urgent Appeal For Nursing Mother For Newborn Pups

PAWS has rescued a mother from Hawkesbury Pound who had given birth last night to 6 pups.Two died before they were taken into care and one had to be put to sleep.

This leaves 3 pups needing milk.

They were not able to get any mothers milk.

The mother has rejected the puppies completely,so I am caring for them feeding them every 20 minutes under vet instructions.

They are Maltese and VERY tiny.

We thought the puppies may have a better chance at survival if they could be taken under the wing of another dog,who would accept them.

If by chance any one in rescue in the metropolitan area has a good mum that might taken on our pups,we would be most grateful.

If you are able to help would you please phone Denise on 0405244871 or Christine on 95973252.

Thanks,

A mama cat might accept them if they're very small, if there is no other option.

PAWS has rescued a mother from Hawkesbury Pound who had given birth last night to 6 pups.Two died before they were taken into care and one had to be put to sleep.

This leaves 3 pups needing milk.

They were not able to get any mothers milk.

The mother has rejected the puppies completely,so I am caring for them feeding them every 20 minutes under vet instructions.

They are Maltese and VERY tiny.

We thought the puppies may have a better chance at survival if they could be taken under the wing of another dog,who would accept them.

If by chance any one in rescue in the metropolitan area has a good mum that might taken on our pups,we would be most grateful.

If you are able to help would you please phone Denise on 0405244871 or Christine on 95973252.

Thanks,

Thanks for that suggestion....

I will try anything. Obviously I will continue to care for them, but thought they would fare better with the "real" thing".

Vet doesn't hold out a lot of hope as they were born last night and spent the night in the pound with their mother but receiving no care or attention from her apparently.

Vet make valiant efforts to try to get her interested but she is completely useless in this regard,despite his best efforts.

I have the pups ,the mum is still with the vets.

Give the mother liquid calcium an egg yolk and milk drink and try gain with her. You may need to lay her down and physically put the pups on. She would also benefit from being fed red meat.

The vet tried everything today but they were at risk of her hurting them more.She had bitten

one of them

it can take 2 or 3 days for the mothering instinct to kick in and that won't happen while they are seperated. Unless there is a medical reason I'd be getting them back together asap.

ETA I just saw the Mumma bit one, it does happen but if you are willing to put in some hard yards it may still be turned around.

Edited by Rebanne

Lack of calcium leads to all kinds of erratic behaviour in bitches. Signs include panting, pacing and being unable to settle, pushing pups around and being rough with them, refusing to settle and feed, attacking and eating puppies.

The quickest way to find out is to either have a vet inject her with calcium or go and get some Sandoz or Troy syrup and give her five mls, give it a couple of hours and give her some more. You will notice the effects almost immediately.

If the bitch has had nothing more than oxy, I'd be giving her the calcium and 24 hours to see what happens.

Edited by WreckitWhippet

Why is the mother still with the vet? Is there something else wrong with her?

WreckitWhippet has given some very sound advice regarding what may be needed to sort her issues with not wanting to feed them.

I'd be following WIW's advice, getting a muzzle on mum dog, and seeing if she will settle enough for them to get a few good feeds in.

T.

The bitch also needs a place to feel warm and secure and unless she is ill, there's no reason for her to be away from the pups. Bring her home put her in a warm , dark and quiet place. Give her the calcium, lay her down and put the pups on. It's best to try one strong pup first, as you'll need both hands to hang onto the bitch. Once you get the first on you can introduce the pups one at a time.

If the pups were exposed to the cold, they will most likely all die.

If the calcium and warm quiet spot doesn't work, the mum may know something about the pups that isn't all that obvious to us humans. As WIW says, if they were all exposed to the cold for who knows how long, then their systems may already have been badly compromised and they may do the fading puppy thing...

Not trying to put a downer on things, but sometimes nature can be a complete arse.

Fingers crossed that this little family have a happy outcome... and kudos to you for taking them in.

T.

Why is the mother still with the vet? Is there something else wrong with her?

WreckitWhippet has given some very sound advice regarding what may be needed to sort her issues with not wanting to feed them.

I'd be following WIW's advice, getting a muzzle on mum dog, and seeing if she will settle enough for them to get a few good feeds in.

T.

The PAWS vet is very good, I'm sure the vets have done a great job but can't replicate the mother's milk etc. They wouldn't leave the pups at the vets unattended.

Thankyou for all your advice/suggestions.

Sadly, the puppies have all passed away.One by one, over night,every couple of hours.,last one at 7am.

A big thankyou to Lisa from Maggies Rescue who came out in the cold wet night air to drop off some special drops and if the pups survived the night there was also the offer of a nursing Mum.I am very grateful for her help and support.

My husband drove back to Lisa's home and borrowed an electric heat pad which did help, as no matter what I did I couldnt get them warm,they had no body heat at all, and a reheatable heat pad didnt do the job.I had them in a very warm room in front of a heater and in warm bedding.Then one had the extra issue of an umbilical cord that had started bleeding and I had to tie off, but had lost a bit of blood [given itssmall size] before I found that out.

To be honest I doubt they had a real chance, just too early,too small.

But I am pleased I tried, as had we not, I would have always wondered that they may have survived if we put had only put in the hard yards.

I cant provide any more info re the mum.I know the vet tried everything before I went into the clinic. He is a very thorough and dedicated vet,so I would always heed his advice.